Couldn't do the rat race thing.

Scully

Have been digging it in Alsager all last week, erecting our most recent PassivHaus and although it's a wonderful area the traffic each morning looked horrendous.

We were working just over the border into Staffordshire so the traffic didn't bother us as we were onto the junction and off the first slip road each morning at Jct 16 but the traffic queues to get onto the M6 were truly awful. Fancy having to put up with that every morning and I'm assuming every evening; simply dire. :no:

We left site at 4pm yesterday and although got onto the M6 no problem this time ( last Friday was standing traffic ) we spent most of the time no faster than 35mph for miles and a lot of the time stationary. A journey which normally takes us 2 hours took us just under 4.

We're heading back down next Tuesday to finish off and the client is taking us out to lunch......not sure if that's a good idea or not. :)

Makes me glad I live in the sticks, other than pedestrian crossings there are no traffic lights within 40 miles, bliss.

Blackpowder

There's down sides to everything though. I live ten minutes from what was the biggest mall in Europe, there's engineers merchants everywhere, garages, car spares, shops selling everything from soap powder to cement. Most are open seven days a week, a lot even Christmas day. I've got used to it now and would miss not being able to get anything anytime.

I travel all over the country and no part of the motorway network can be trusted although i agree the M6 from J10 J21 on fridays is a nightmare.

The issues are poor driving standards and driving on a network that hasn't really changed from the late 1960s

used to travel to Kidderminster on fridays and had to negotiate junction 8 of the M42 onto the M6 towards the M5 .Hideous solid wall of traffic,but me on my motorbike ha ha lol went down the hard shoulder whilst the cars didnt move an inch.so glad i now live in the sticks n work shifts couldnt stand 9 to 5 and all that chaos.

There's down sides to everything though. I live ten minutes from what was the biggest mall in Europe, there's engineers merchants everywhere, garages, car spares, shops selling everything from soap powder to cement. Most are open seven days a week, a lot even Christmas day. I've got used to it now and would miss not being able to get anything anytime.

:) Dont think you would like it here then, its 130 mile round trip to Tescos, a ferry and overnight stay to go to B&Q, The nearest pedestrian traffic light is 65 miles away as is the mini roundabout,

Traffics my dread after an 'incident' outside the Blackwell tunnel. Me and my GF were going to walthamstow resouvoirs last October as she was happy to come along so I can carp fish. It was about 6:30am and we just went past the o2 and I thought ohhh I need a dump but I thought I can hold out til we get there. Getting nearer tunnel and obviously the traffic started to slow and cue the worry and hot sweats and needing to go even more. I said to her I need a dump and she said oh no and started laughing which made me clench even more and being a concrete jungle and nowhere to go it was the most horrible feeling! Then I saw an exit and thought thank god so I came off and without taking enough notice I went round the roundabout and came BACK ON to the tunnel road and then I really panicked! I just didn't know what to do and I was chewing toffee. Getting close to tunnel entrance and the I saw a tiny lay by at the entrance (you've probably noticed it) and with no way was I going in that tunnel needing a pony, I pulled in in desperation. I was in my transit connect so I got out and opened the side door and grabbed my camo fishing bucket and with and office block over looking me,my GF screaming you can't do it here and traffic about 15 ft from van I unleashed in the bucket next to the van and because I had the side door open my GF copped the smell and starting gagging and nearly throwing up haha! So now I panic at the thought of traffic incase it happens again and the thought of it brings on a poo.

Luckily I had some kitchen roll in the back haha the other thing was that after I finished and put the lid on the bucket my GF said what are you going to do with it and I said take it with me and she said no your bloody not and with me not thing straight and still in a panic I left against the mesh fence. Then on the way home I started thinking what if people think it's a bomb put there and I had visions of a bomb disposal robot going towards it and the Blackwell tunnel being closed.

Luckily I had some kitchen roll in the back haha the other thing was that after I finished and put the lid on the bucket my GF said what are you going to do with it and I said take it with me and she said no your bloody not and with me not thing straight and still in a panic I left against the mesh fence. Then on the way home I started thinking what if people think it's a bomb put there and I had visions of a bomb disposal robot going towards it and the Blackwell tunnel being closed.

would have been an unpleasant shower of ***** if they had blown it up

Traffics my dread after an 'incident' outside the Blackwell tunnel. Me and my GF were going to walthamstow resouvoirs last October as she was happy to come along so I can carp fish. It was about 6:30am and we just went past the o2 and I thought ohhh I need a dump but I thought I can hold out til we get there. Getting nearer tunnel and obviously the traffic started to slow and cue the worry and hot sweats and needing to go even more. I said to her I need a dump and she said oh no and started laughing which made me clench even more and being a concrete jungle and nowhere to go it was the most horrible feeling! Then I saw an exit and thought thank god so I came off and without taking enough notice I went round the roundabout and came BACK ON to the tunnel road and then I really panicked! I just didn't know what to do and I was chewing toffee. Getting close to tunnel entrance and the I saw a tiny lay by at the entrance (you've probably noticed it) and with no way was I going in that tunnel needing a pony, I pulled in in desperation. I was in my transit connect so I got out and opened the side door and grabbed my camo fishing bucket and with and office block over looking me,my GF screaming you can't do it here and traffic about 15 ft from van I unleashed in the bucket next to the van and because I had the side door open my GF copped the smell and starting gagging and nearly throwing up haha! So now I panic at the thought of traffic incase it happens again and the thought of it brings on a poo.

and i thought i was the only one who has to **** in my van

and i thought i was the only one who has to **** in my van

Friend of mine drove a low loader in this instance transporting a combine harvester which was through Edinburgh in pre bypass day's. Really taken short he had to resort to the combine grain tank somewhere in the middle of suburban Edinburgh.

Blackpowder

:) Dont think you would like it here then, its 130 mile round trip to Tescos, a ferry and overnight stay to go to B&Q, The nearest pedestrian traffic light is 65 miles away as is the mini roundabout,

Love it !

Traffic jam for me is 2 tractors waiting at a junction.

I perhaps phrased that wrong rodp, despite the peaceful location with the North Sea on one side I am only 8 miles from a county town with every major supermarket plus some minor players. Three miles from the A1, mainline rail station in above county town, Edinburgh in an hour until you hit the bypass traffic. Four builders and plumbers merchants in county town so quiet rather than remote.

Bl;ackpowder

I perhaps phrased that wrong rodp, despite the peaceful location with the North Sea on one side I am only 8 miles from a county town with every major supermarket plus some minor players. Three miles from the A1, mainline rail station in above county town, Edinburgh in an hour until you hit the bypass traffic. Four builders and plumbers merchants in county town so quiet rather than remote.

Bl;ackpowder

Berwick Upon Tweed? Nice town.

That's a hell of a walk to cross the road.

You island people want to get with the modern world, I don't want to make you jealous but we get 3 busses a week here.