which .22lr cartridge

Just thought I would ask which is your favoured .22 subsonic ammo for hunting, I have just got to the end of my supply and am going to buy several makes and test them all under the same conditions at 60 m zero to see which my krico semi likes best. Let me know which ones you like and why so I know which ones I should add to my test list. cheers :good::lol:

I see that you use a Krico semi auto.

In any bolt action that I have owned I have found that Eley subs have always been the most accurate - and I have owned several makes of bolt action (Brno, Sako, Anschutz, Krico)

However, for a semi auto I have found that the extra 'oooomph' in Winchester subs gives additional reliability with reasonable accuracy compared to Eleys. There is nothing more infuriating when using a semi than getting misfeeds, and the extra power of Winchesters help in this regard. I have never fired a Krico semi, but have owned Brno, Ruger and Anschutz semi's.

Don

Best Grouping = Eleys, thats why the target guys use them. If your shots are always rested and you can put your hand on your heart and say you always get head shots these will do for you. Expect a few runners though if you hit the boiler room.

Best Thwack = Winnies. You will hear the consistently harder thunk as they connect flesh or bone. Part of that noise may be due to the larger hollow in the point allowing it to mushroom better, they certainly do more damage. They also shoot about 40mm higher than the Eleys at 60 yards - which suggests a slightly higher muzzle velocity.

That was with my 10/22. Not tried Eleys in my Quad - and don't intend to try the greasy things again.

CCI subs in my CZ for most things and a spare mag with CCI stingers or velocitors for Charlie if he shows up.

Because all CCI rounds are copper washed (not greased) you can swap between types and the gunfires true from the first round (but the hi velocity rounds have a different trajectory so you need both sets of data).