Preparing pheasants

Harry136

Hi,

A neighbour brought round a brace of pheasants last night, this afternoon i've just skinned and gutted them. This is my first time doing it, not as bad as id imagined. My question is about the gutting part, how do people deal with the **** end literally! I ended up pulling off the gut and cutting off the vent, how do others do this?

Hi,

A neighbour brought round a brace of pheasants last night, this afternoon i've just skinned and gutted them. This is my first time doing it, not as bad as id imagined. My question is about the gutting part, how do people deal with the **** end literally! I ended up pulling off the gut and cutting off the vent, how do others do this?

Fingers in, grasp the gizzard and pull out along with all the 'rope' until there's nothing left inside. Then just clean the blood off from around the vent. Generally nothing else is needed, but if necessary, just trim up a bit with scissors if it is a bit blackish (shot up the rear), fatty or lots of loose skin.

Kitchen Devil kitchen shears are fantastic for trimming wings and legs :good:

Just "Norfolk pluck" them (standing on the wings and pul the legs). This method works best with fresh birds but also works on birds that have hung for a week, you just need to pull a bit harder.

Using this method also deals with the guts at the same time, as others have said,rremove the crown and if you want to use the legs, they can be "peeled" afterwards.

Use the breast as you would chicken (diced up and used in fajitas is my favourite). Boil the legs to make a stock as that's about all they are good for with all the tendons in them, with the little meat that is on them, it will also separate easy after boiling.

Had a go at the "Norfolk Pluck". First bird was done in seconds, so feeling cocky, I placed the second bird down, in front of an audience of wife and kids looking on with mixed emotions of interest and disgust. I said something log the lines of "watch this for a quick skin";

Stood on the wings close to the body, head facing away...took a firm grip of the legs, and pulled..........................................................................net result: bird came up at me with the speed of an angry wasp, clouting me under the chin leaving a perfectly broken wing under each boot. Looked over at wife, with bits of pheasant dripping off my chin and she was rolling around howling with laughter. Ended up skinning it the non-Norfolk way! Practice makes perfect...

Skinning isn't the best I've found if wanting to roast a crown or the whole bird which is why up until recent years, I've plucked and roasted. That standing on the wings trick looks the handiest way for breasting though!

+1 roast birds need the skin on, otherwise the majority I cook are skinned the breast filleted and the legs resaerved for stews and burgers.

Blackpowder

Had a go at the "Norfolk Pluck". First bird was done in seconds, so feeling cocky, I placed the second bird down, in front of an audience of wife and kids looking on with mixed emotions of interest and disgust. I said something log the lines of "watch this for a quick skin";

Stood on the wings close to the body, head facing away...took a firm grip of the legs, and pulled..........................................................................net result: bird came up at me with the speed of an angry wasp, clouting me under the chin leaving a perfectly broken wing under each boot. Looked over at wife, with bits of pheasant dripping off my chin and she was rolling around howling with laughter. Ended up skinning it the non-Norfolk way! Practice makes perfect...

slowly is the way increase the pressure til it comes apart