Spent Cartridges - Who Cares?

oozelumbird

On page 30 of last months edition of PULL there is an article on the topic of binning your spent cartridges. the writers thoughts are you pay for a service so why pick up your cartrdiges, the shoot owner should do it as you pay to shoot. I think this is the same as saying you can dump your rubbish on the street as you walk along, as you pay for rubbish collection, so why put it in the bin. I always catch my empty cases (99.9% of the time). Surely most people do, i would be interested to here from both sides on this topic.

Leaving spent cartridge cases laying around does get up my nose. Just like the ******* that throw their rubbish out of their car windows, or fly tippers. Apple cores and banana skins thrown into a hedgerow or under a bush is ok, but coke cans, crisp packets etc go in a bin.

That's a habit I learn young from my parents; when I was a 4 or 5 year old and dropped a sweet wrapper, I was told in no uncertain terms to pick up my rubbish, "Who do you think you are? Lord Muck? There's nobody paid to walk behind you, clearing up your rubbish! If you can't put the wrappers in a bin, you can't have any sweets".

Well, there's my tupence.

I completely agree with Lefty. No one is paid to walk behind me to pick up my ****, I choose to do it myself because I was taught at a very early age that dropping rubbish is not the done thing.

I always make a point of pocketing my spent carts after they've ejected and putting them in the bins provided. If I could find a way of sperating out the plastic and metal parts, I'd even recycle them.

Me too i always catch my cartridges and chuck them in the bin. I don't believe anyone should expect someone to clear up for them :good: However it can be a bit difficult with a S/A, but aslong as they make sure the stnading area is clear of empties its all good. I hate having to kick empties out the way before i want to shoot.

Leaving spent cartridge cases laying around does get up my nose. Just like the ******* that throw their rubbish out of their car windows, or fly tippers. Apple cores and banana skins thrown into a hedgerow or under a bush is ok, but coke cans, crisp packets etc go in a bin.

That's a habit I learn young from my parents; when I was a 4 or 5 year old and dropped a sweet wrapper, I was told in no uncertain terms to pick up my rubbish, "Who do you think you are? Lord Muck? There's nobody paid to walk behind you, clearing up your rubbish! If you can't put the wrappers in a bin, you can't have any sweets".

Well, there's my tupence.

On my regular road into town there is a really nice looking apple tree in the hedgerow, each year it blossoms and bears lots of deep red apples, this no doubt was the result of someone many years ago tossing a core out of the car window, good for them, lets all do it and make the world a better place by creating more fruit trees. :yes: (But only if its British fruit) :lol:

:good: D2D

Folk dropping spent cartridges really bugs me, at my local clay shoot there are a couple of lazy **** who NEVER bother to pick up their cartridges. I have even seen a chap with a non-ejector o/u dropping them.

Despite signs being put up, and the bins being half a metre away, there are some ignorant **** who just dont bother. When I use my auto I might accidently leave behind 1 or 2 if I haven't seen them, but do my best to clean up behind me.

Incidentally, a couple of the instructors there are the worlds worst for leaving spent shells on the floor. Doesn't set a good example for everyone else.

Cheers

Duster

Out in the field I pick everything up, local clubs and stuff I pick everything up. Frequently in both instances I pick other peoples up and I get mighty ****** at them for doing it.

If, on the other hand, I happen to splash I couple at a commercial ground they join the hundreds of others laying round on the floor. They stay where they are.

I always catch them, sometimes I fumble one, I ain't loosing any sleep over it. The way I see it there are tonnes of lead lying thereabouts, there are hundreds of thousands of plastic wads lying about and someone is paid to clean up after me. They charge me a fee per clay, they make a profit, they are not doing me any favours.

I completely agree with Lefty. No one is paid to walk behind me to pick up my ****, I choose to do it myself because I was taught at a very early age that dropping rubbish is not the done thing.

I always make a point of pocketing my spent carts after they've ejected and putting them in the bins provided. If I could find a way of sperating out the plastic and metal parts, I'd even recycle them.

Completely agree! :good:

When I first started to shoot with shotguns I was taught how to break the gun and take hold of the cartridges as my o/u ejected them. Its so simple, everybody can do it.

Wookie in relation to seperating the brass from the plastic, you can do it, but you need a lighter to warm the brass up, which in turn melts the plastic on the inside of it and then you can pull the plastic away complete. I do this to make Widgeon Whistles out of two brass caps. Admittedly you wouldn't want to do it after shooting two hundred of the things and reloading them isn't cost effective so putting them in the bins provided is the best option.

With my semi I must admit the damn thing ejects upto 20 feet away (dependant on load) and trying to find them all is difficult, especially on a clay ground where you can't cross the ropes for safety reasons to collect them up. MC will tell you when I first got the Gun, I shot with him over at Tollesbury at their little clay club withthe stands in the woods. Cartridges were ejected and whilst you know the rough direction it goes in, trying to find Green cased cartridges amongest dense foilage isn't the easiest thing to do, but I did my best.

When Game shooting I always let the cartridges eject themselves, but when the horn ends the drive, I pack the gun up, leave it where I stood and walk around collecting the empties up and put in my pocket. It helps then to know your doing your bit as well as keeping a check on your cartridge:kill ratio.

SS :good:

I always pick mine up at the farm, even if I have to search for them. At the club I try to catch them most of the time but if I miss a few then I don't bother to pick them up. I help fill traps and clear up at the end for 50% of my visits, to help the club owners. If someone else has to pick up a couple of my cases sometimes, it wont hurt them. I do my bit for the club and don't expect anything in return. Too many people have the attitude that if they don't gain from something from helping then why should they bother. If everyone was like that, there would be no club. If the guy in front of me drops the odd case, I'm not going to moan. If they drop all of them, things get said :good:

"On page 30 of last months edition of PULL there is an article on the topic of binning your spent cartridges. the writers thoughts are you pay for a service so why pick up your cartrdiges, the shoot owner should do it as you pay to shoot. "

That is a completely selfish attitude, what a pillock! Anyway, you don't need to pick 'em up if you catch them and bin them. I now find it an automatic reflex and do it without thinking.

I nearly started a thread on this topic recently. I agree with all the previous posts, I understand it's not always safe for a S/Auto user to pick up empties, but for a break-action user it's dead easy.

Fister & I were shooting at a local shoot a few weeks ago and were the second squad after a group of three. By the time it was our turn to shoot there were nearly 30 empties to kick out of the way even though there was a bin IN the cage! One of them was doing that amusing -turn the gun upside down, fire the empties at the bin, bounce one off the near rim, one off the far rim, two cases on the floor- trick.

really bugs me when some tw*t just opens his gun and spits them out on the grass, total arrogance.myself when i have shot a stand partically badly i like to throw the last 2 empties in the bin with force :good:

ie spitting out the dummy like a spoilt brat, far more refined :good:

plinker

One of them was doing that amusing -turn the gun upside down, fire the empties at the bin, bounce one off the near rim, one off the far rim, two cases on the floor- trick.

I really hate that, people who do it think they are so cool, I have seen more people dink stocks, clatter barrels on shooting cages and miss the bin almost every time whilst swinging the gun round their heads trying to do this.

Its really lame.

Its just common sense and manners to pick up your stuff. I can't beleive(actually I can) that people just leave their spenties lying there.....mind you i often find heaps of empty ones in farmers fields were other shooters have permission.....and I end up picking them up......I must be a fool but I wouldn't want the farmer thinking it was me....altjough I do mention it to him when it happens.....lazy ****.

DFB

:good:

"On page 30 of last months edition of PULL there is an article on the topic of binning your spent cartridges. the writers thoughts are you pay for a service so why pick up your cartrdiges, the shoot owner should do it as you pay to shoot. "

That is a completely selfish attitude, what a pillock! Anyway, you don't need to pick 'em up if you catch them and bin them. I now find it an automatic reflex and do it without thinking.

I nearly started a thread on this topic recently. I agree with all the previous posts, I understand it's not always safe for a S/Auto user to pick up empties, but for a break-action user it's dead easy.

Fister & I were shooting at a local shoot a few weeks ago and were the second squad after a group of three. By the time it was our turn to shoot there were nearly 30 empties to kick out of the way even though there was a bin IN the cage! One of them was doing that amusing -turn the gun upside down, fire the empties at the bin, bounce one off the near rim, one off the far rim, two cases on the floor- trick.

really bugs me when some tw*t just opens his gun and spits them out on the grass, total arrogance.myself when i have shot a stand partically badly i like to throw the last 2 empties in the bin with force :D

ie spitting out the dummy like a spoilt brat, far more refined :)

plinker

i am a auto shooter at national and inter level, i carry a magnetic wand at some but not all as, some shooters complain i am holding them up when i attempt to pick up my used cases , usually its the guys who have all the top gear to shoot but cant shoot very good who do all the complaining.

I have some sympathy with both sides of the argument actually.

As an owner of a semi-auto my carts do fly about a bit, and I always pick them up wherever possible, but, it does bug me when ground owners nag on about it too. Particularly when they fly over the fence, and I get whined at even though there's no way I could pick em up anyway. Makes me feel like saying OK Ill go shoot at Horne or whereever instead :D

Swings and roundabouts really innit.

As an owner of a semi-auto my carts do fly about a bit, and I always pick them up wherever possible, but, it does bug me when ground owners nag on about it too. Particularly when they fly over the fence, and I get whined at even though there's no way I could pick em up anyway. Makes me feel like saying OK Ill go shoot at Horne or whereever instead :)

I don't see both sides....whatepever the other side is....i shoot with a semi(no sniggering please) and pick up what ever i can.....I have never been nagged about it.....although my empities have never gone over a fence.......if i had a home big enough to shoot i woud.......I do not have any sympathy....just pick up your rubbish......simple as that.

DFB

:D

As an owner of a semi-auto my carts do fly about a bit, and I always pick them up wherever possible, but, it does bug me when ground owners nag on about it too. Particularly when they fly over the fence, and I get whined at even though there's no way I could pick em up anyway. Makes me feel like saying OK Ill go shoot at Horne or whereever instead :angry:

I don't see both sides....whatepever the other side is....i shoot with a semi(no sniggering please) and pick up what ever i can.....I have never been nagged about it.....although my empities have never gone over a fence.......if i had a home big enough to shoot i woud.......I do not have any sympathy....just pick up your rubbish......simple as that.

DFB

:lol:

Yeah but when you can't pick them up theres nothing you can do is there? Where I shoot we have a fence along the line of the stands, you must not under any circumstances go over it, so how are you supposed to pick them up?

Here in San Antonio at the National Shooting Complex their rule is that empty shells that touch the ground belong to the club. Most folks that shoot there use expensive reloadable shells that the club sells.

Most ranges want you to police your brass.

Bob - think we're talking about plastic shotgun shells - not empty rifle cases - just thought I would let you know...just a difference in language & terminology - we speak english, you speak american! :lol::angry::blush:

My opinon is that if you want to have shooting as your sport it shouldn't impact on others :blink: Everyone should strive to leave no imprint of their life upon the earth - as my friends T-shirt says 'look after the earth...it's the ONLY place with beer!!' :blush: