5K for flood victims

billytheghillie

The government has just announced the flood victims in Cumbria will get 5k each. That is all very good, but what about the flood victims in Southern Scotland? I realise those people are going through hell, and many of them deserve it, but on the other hand all the chavs will be laughing all the way to the pubs. Many of those people could not get insurance, while some did, and others choose not to have any. What are your views on it?

I can see Scully buying a new gun :whistling:

I'm sure Nicola will pay out £10k to those in southern Scotland.

The government has just announced the flood victims in Cumbria will get 5k each. That is all very good, but what about the flood victims in Southern Scotland? I realise those people are going through hell, and many of them deserve it, but on the other hand all the chavs will be laughing all the way to the pubs. Many of those people could not get insurance, while some did, and others choose not to have any. What are your views on it?

The government has just announced the flood victims in Cumbria will get 5k each. That is all very good, but what about the flood victims in Southern Scotland? That's up to the SNP I realise those people are going through hell, and many of them deserve it, but on the other hand all the chavs will be laughing all the way to the pubs As long as it's local pubs, it'll still help the area to recover, so probably not as bad as it first sounds. Many of those people could not get insurance, while some did, and others choose not to have any. What are your views on it? Those with insurance will be better off. £5k will soften the blow.

It amazes me how the government can pull £50m out of the hat at times like this.....how much more they got stashed away ! or who's going to go with out to pay for this !

Unfortunately, it'll end up adding £50m to the defect (small beer in real terms).

£50m is pretty insignificant when considered against the wider scale of public finances.

As I understood it the funding has been allocated to the local authorities and they will use the money as appropriate to support the recovery from the flooding.

Is it being proposed that each family receive £5k each or is that effectively the spend per head of population?

Are the insurance companies going to deduct the 5k payment from those houses that have got insurance? If the insurance companies do deduct the 5k then surely the tax payer is subsidizing the insurance companies to the tune of £50 Million and the families are not going to be any better off. 5k wont go very far in replacing a house full of rubbish and repair work if you haven't got insurance. The gov isn't really giving away real money because they just print some more off of the toilet roll. Anyone for a £50 pound note?

Edited by fortune

hello, thats just a weeks beer and wine money for our wonderfull MPs :rolleyes: 50mill!!!! i dont expect that will be enough for those affected in Carlisle let alone Cumbria but i hope they will get it asap as it was said many did not have insurance. i have only been to Cumbria once many years ago and did visit the area most flooded now so i hope they can get sorted before spring/summer 2016 as i found such a beautiful area.

The £5k is for flood proofing your property. Lady featured on late news item had spent £30k on flood-proof walls/gates and had all her floors relaid with waterproof membranes to stood water coming up through floors/walls and she still got flooded albeit not so badly so what will £5k do?

When man makes plans God laughs - one of those little sayings which rather put me off religion. Well that and a RI teacher who liked little boys!