Eley extralong 3 inch in 7 fibre are good to 35 yards with pattern, and 40 yards with penetration, eley 7 1/2 trap 3 inch plaswad are ok as well but pattern and penetration fail at 35 yards, 29g of no6's don't pattern beyond 30 yards even though penetration is good to 50 yards.

That's good info. The clay ground I go to is fibre only so I'll be needing Eley or Lyalvale for that. I want to be able to practice with a cartridge as close to my current preferred game cartridge as possible. So an 18 gram Eley 7 could work! The Lyalvale 3' is only 16 gram and not available in anything but 5,6!

Currently use the Fiocchi 19g 6 for game and experience good results on driven birds. They also make it with 7.5 - moving to the smaller shot size will help the pattern? Could I not just tighten up the chokes with the 6 shot and get similar results? Just don't think I'd like to be using 7.5 come January!

Thanks everyone for comments so far - Fiocchi really pulling ahead for Italian game cartridges!

Currently use the Fiocchi 19g 6 for game and experience good results on driven birds. They also make it with 7.5 - moving to the smaller shot size will help the pattern? Could I not just tighten up the chokes with the 6 shot and get similar results? Just don't think I'd like to be using 7.5 come January!

In reality, Fiocchi 19g No6 are actually 17g No5.5 and only have 145 pellets to start with.

At full choke (not usually the best from a 410), at 30 yards it is unlikely they will pattern adequately to kill, however individual pellets will kill to 55 yards.

Stick with 7's or smaller with the 410.

Stick with 7's or smaller with the 410.

Agreed. I also don't think you really gain anything from the 3" loads in .410.

Perhaps it's just me, but 14g of #7 or #7½ seems to make a lot more sense than trying to push a massive 19g shot column up a tiny barrel.

Apart from anything else, you need much quicker acceleration to get the 3" load up to speed, which means faster powder, giving more recoil and more pellet deformation - and that's on top of a gun which deforms a large proportion of the pellets anyway, because so many of them are in contact with the wad and / or the barrel.

Does anyone recollect people talking about the large gauge guns (i.e. 16, 12, 10 gauges) having a "hot centre"? These are the pellets that didn't get deformed on the way down the tube and didn't become "flyers". The .410 doesn't really show this effect however, because most of the pellets are "flyers" already.

Usually, I'd say go with a heavy load at moderate velocity - you want as much pattern density as you can get without the problem of blown patterns. In the .410 I think that actually a lighter charge, accelerated more gently tends to give a more even pattern. For me, this means better performance, since the ranges mean that almost any pellet size will still have requisite energy to kill.

Not to mention of course that there are more appropriate tubes down which to shove 19g of shot.

Edited by neutron619

Eley extralong 3 inch in 7 fibre are good to 35 yards with pattern, and 40 yards with penetration, eley 7 1/2 trap 3 inch plaswad are ok as well but pattern and penetration fail at 35 yards, 29g of no6's don't pattern beyond 30 yards even though penetration is good to 50 yards.

I use the Eley 7 for both

I measure patterning ranges though every time I buy a. New to me shell in any of my guns so there is no guesswork on either range or how good the pattern is

The fibre 7 is a great shell though. Let's face it why use two different you won't get far enough out to need heavier shot anyhow and if you did pellet counts will likely have failed ( keep it under 35 preferably less on quarry imo)

I measure patterning ranges though every time I buy a. New to me shell in any of my guns so there is no guesswork on either range or how good the pattern is

The fibre 7 is a great shell though. Let's face it why use two different you won't get far enough out to need heavier shot anyhow and if you did pellet counts will likely have failed ( keep it under 35 preferably less on quarry imo)

Use and prefer fibre 7 myself for pheasant/duck/pigeons but if not fussed about plastic wad 7 1/2 are not bad either.

• 2 weeks later...

Done three driven days on game with a 410 this season with another to go in January. I have been amazed at how well they kill, i used a borrowed gun but have treated myself to a Christmas present, A Browning Elite o/u. single trigger ejector. on our last day 9 guns (all 410) we shot four drives for 68 Pheasants 65 Partridges, 2 Woodcock and 2 Pigeons. The 410 ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...