Metal Lathe users

biketestace

Afternoon peeps,

I need opinions on what your thoughts are, on the vast array of lathes available please,

May I please point out that I am not an engineer of any sorts, just purely a hobbyist !

I currently own a Myford ML7 and get on really well with it, I use carbide tip tooling etc, and iv enjoyed using aluminium-brass etc.so far,

I usually make bushings to suit my reloading press but I want to go bigger and better now and to include screw cutting.

I keep hanging my nose over a Warco 240-250 type lathe....

Over the last few years, the Chinese-European made lathes have come on in leaps and bounds, your advise please on whether I do or don't buy would be really helpful.

Paul

I have an old Colchester Student , it does everything I want and it's accurate and will outlast me , I have used it to re-barrel several of my rifles and it wasn't horrendously expensive .

You might want to look here --- www.lathes.co.uk/

Edited by waterford103

Of very limited help sorry, I run an old Grayson lathe that does most of what I want.

A friend bought a Warco 4 years ago and managed to destroy the gears in no time at all. It took months for replacements to arrive. Maybe the spares supply as improved since then?

There are plenty old British lathes held prisoners in sheds workshops and garages across the country

Why buy new junk under these circumstances

Just make sure you get everything you need or a 4 jaw or steady could be hard to find on its own later

Mostly stuff can be fixed up and brought back to tolerances

colchester student as said or the slightly smaller bantam is a good choice, dont discount the longer bed myford super7b with auto feed and power cross feed and a screwcutting gearbox.

the colchesters are great machines but the spares & add ons available for the myord are readily available.

Mmmmmmmmm,

So know one is warming to the idea of a new import ?

I sort of thought this would be the case, and a Super 7 is on the list because of the available spares etc.

My mate has mentioned a Colchester Student, but that's because he wants one !

Thanks for the info so far lads :good:

Mmmmmmmmm,

So know one is warming to the idea of a new import ?

I sort of thought this would be the case, and a Super 7 is on the list because of the available spares etc.

My mate has mentioned a Colchester Student, but that's because he wants one !

Thanks for the info so far lads :good:

Not sure there are too many engineers on here and I guess they already have lathes.

I have a Myford ML7 but often question why as years can go by without it being used.

A mate has a little APTC lathe which I am sure is imported. He is an very good mechanic and repairs all sorts of strange bits of old equipment and airguns, he gets on fine with it.

Not sure there are too many engineers on here and I guess they already have lathes.

I have a Myford ML7 but often question why as years can go by without it being used.

A mate has a little APTC lathe which I am sure is imported. He is an very good mechanic and repairs all sorts of strange bits of old equipment and airguns, he gets on fine with it.

I have a friend in the market for an ml7 if you are considering selling?
thanks Ken.

I had a Boxford and a Chinese lathe I kept the Chinese one but have put much work into it including a 3 phase Siemens 1hp motor and inverter.

It was the opposite for me, had the option of a chinese at the time of purchase, but been from a engineering background took the Boxford,

I also went down the same route as yourself with the 3 phase & the inverter.

Paul, I was in the very same predicament 18 odd years ago, new or used??? I bit the bullet and bought the very best Harrison I could find and to be honest it was not a lot more than Myford money. I have never regretted buying it, nor regretted parting with my Myford. Solidly built, parts are available as is tooling.

I did go Chinese for my milling machine (Myford VM copy) and have wished for the past 14 years I had bought a Bridgeport! nothing wrong with it but the quality is not there.

Go to a decent company and have a look at what your money will get you...try http://www.homeandworkshop.co.uk/index.html?40020 I have been told they are honest and reliable but have never personally used them. I have used Steve at http://www.premiermachinetools.co.uk/ and can vouch for his honesty and helpfulness.....BUY BRITISH!!

Cheers Nev.

Paul, I was in the very same predicament 18 odd years ago, new or used??? I bit the bullet and bought the very best Harrison I could find and to be honest it was not a lot more than Myford money. I have never regretted buying it, nor regretted parting with my Myford. Solidly built, parts are available as is tooling.

I did go Chinese for my milling machine (Myford VM copy) and have wished for the past 14 years I had bought a Bridgeport! nothing wrong with it but the quality is not there.

Go to a decent company and have a look at what your money will get you...try http://www.homeandworkshop.co.uk/index.html?40020 I have been told they are honest and reliable but have never personally used them. I have used Steve at http://www.premiermachinetools.co.uk/ and can vouch for his honesty and helpfulness.....BUY BRITISH!!

Cheers Nev.

Thanks Nev :good:

I run a boxford AUD. Old school. Only downside with it is the 20mm through hole. Makes it a pain for dealing with barrels but there is a way with a fixed steady.

I would not be selling off a myford for a chick tin pot paper weight. Better off going and buying a Clarke.

If you have room the a student would be the one to look for. Easy to use and built like a tank, just need to check its not worn out, if slide screws and bearings are then do you have a way to fix it up.

Love my metric boxford. Also have a Derbyshire watchmakers lathe that I only use for pulling bullets and trimming cases. 1946 and as tight as a ducks bum. Worth twice of the boxford.

Keep an eye on my little machine shop and lathes co uk for sales

• 3 weeks later...

taxidriver if your selling one a mint example would bring £8,75 let me know when to pick it up?

activeiii can you work on a varmint barrel on an AUD?

Sorry for lathe reply, only just seen this.

To answer your question. No. Varmint barrels are around 22+mm. Head stock bore is 20mm and between centres as about 22"

Hi

I recently bought a Myford ML7, the hole through the spindle isn't huge though and only certain barrels would go through I reckon (Not set up yet!! :/ )

Myforrd%201_zpsc8npisnr.jpg

A couple of years ago I swapped my wood working lathe for this Granville Senior which is so similar to the ML7 that certain parts can be swapped over!!

GSl1_zps878f05f6.jpg

Both machines are superb regarding tolerances but the granville has a larger bore through the spindle so will take more barrels for threading/Crowning ;)

It's typical that the one I have set up is a 100 year old flat cone pulley machine that's so worn that parallel turning is out of the question!! :sad1:

toolslathecleaned2.jpg

I also have a couple of baby lathes too!

Flexispeed 7, This was made 100 yds from where I used to live!!!

Flexispeedseven01.jpg

And a Wade, Both the Wade and the Flexispeed use right hand threaded rods for travel/travers so in a moment of absent mindedness, a job can be ruing when backing the tool off as it actually advances it!!

Wade1lathep1.jpg

John :)