16g for the good lady?

Beagle boy

She's 25 slim build and about 5ft 7 tall ish I think.

She's shot my 12 a couple of times and I think I was too much for her.

Having never shot a 16 myself I don't know what they are like. Oddly it fit me quite well my thinking is its only £50 so I should get my money back if it's no good for her.

As other have said maybe a cheap O/u 20 would be better or even a 410

Cheers rob

A lot of SxS guns are lighter than the equivalent O/U. As such they tend to have more recoil. Not ideal if she's of a slight build and learning to shoot.

In addition, if it's a double trigger then there's always the issue of hand getting bashed by the front trigger when pulling the back trigger.

Finally, those SxS guns can have a bit of barrel 'flip'.

All in all, not the ideal 'first gun' for her, in my opinion. I'd recommend a 20 bore O/U.

My wife (5'3", 8.5 stone) uses a Beretta SP in 20 bore, and loves it

I may get the 16 for myself though ha ha

Do! My 12 hardly comes out of the cabinet since I got mine. An ounce of 6's is probably the load best suited to the 16 gauge. Whilst you can never tell until you put gun and cartridge together, the received wisdom is that 16's tend to pattern very well. I don't know of a convincing reason for that, but if you buy it you can find out and put me right if I'm talking nonsense. Go on - you know you want to!

Your in a spot. Does she really want to shoot or is it you would just like her to. Women aren't generally as strong in the upper body and end up leaning backwards to cope with the weight and end up with a terrible stance and getting kick issues because of butt placement. so a lighter gun is needed for them to handle. But that gives rise to recoil issues. then there is the cost issue. generally cheap guns are built heavier than more expensive guns and your back to weight and hadleability. Been there with the daughters and currently know a woman who shoots game with a browning 12. She is suffering from a neck injury after a horse riding accident. when she shoots the duck she has borrowed a 20 and shoots bismuth because she cant take the recoil on her neck of + 30 grm steel carts. She has looked at getting herself a 20 O/U but to get something like a S/H 686 in 20 s/h she is looking at about £1300. Yeah there are cheaper guns out there but they are like fence posts. Everywhere wants to sell her an invest arm 20. But I think that they are about £400 and they aren't that nice to operate. In my daughters case I luckily have a 26" 686 that shoots any of the 20 >> 24 grm loads very well.

Two friends watching one of the girls shoot clays with the 20

e8e46966.jpg

Edited by fortune

Mixture of both regarding her shooting I never ask her to come and every now and again she asks to come decoying. But I do enjoy her coming with me if I'm honest.

She's used a 410 a few times on clays, just steady left to rights to get her confidence up and she's done well.

She's used my 12 a few times with 21g 7.5s and got on ok but there just abit light for pigeons and stuff.

Cheers rob

By far the best idea is to get the good lady an o/u 20 bore and then buy yourself a really nice 16 bore - preferably with Damascus barrels and hammers - you will always be at the centre of the 'interesting' gun admirers specially when you have fetched some really nice birds down.

As far as the 20 bore goes - don't be stingy - get a her nice one which will earn you many browny points - a berretta would be ideal (then when she gets fed up with shooting you get a nice gun to use without having to get permission to add to your collection and the negative browny points that entails!)

John

I almost did not respond to this but I feel I have to. Firstly you only end up with a bad stance if you have been taught badly or not at all or have been given the wrong equipment. I shoot a 12b Beretta SP1 with 28 inch barrels and stand 5ft tall. I can go all day and often shoot 500 cartridges in a day's practice, often do two registered shoots on a Sunday and use 28g TT1 shells as they are lovely and soft and I get them for a good price. With practise and familiarity and someone actually spending time showing the lady how to hold the gun, her body position, feet etc she will be more than capable. I don't see why it has to be a 20b which quite often kicks more, is too light really, costs more for the cartridges. Our upper body strength is generally weaker than a man's but its like everything you get used to holding the gun correctly and less tired as time goes on - your muscles adapt and get stronger. I actually don't know any ladies in my shooting circle which is quite large and includes some "names" who shoot 20b they all shoot 12b.

I almost did not respond to this but I feel I have to. Firstly you only end up with a bad stance if you have been taught badly or not at all or have been given the wrong equipment. I shoot a 12b Beretta SP1 with 28 inch barrels and stand 5ft tall. I can go all day and often shoot 500 cartridges in a day's practice, often do two registered shoots on a Sunday and use 28g TT1 shells as they are lovely and soft and I get them for a good price. With practise and familiarity and someone actually spending time showing the lady how to hold the gun, her body position, feet etc she will be more than capable. I don't see why it has to be a 20b which quite often kicks more, is too light really, costs more for the cartridges. Our upper body strength is generally weaker than a man's but its like everything you get used to holding the gun correctly and less tired as time goes on - your muscles adapt and get stronger. I actually don't know any ladies in my shooting circle which is quite large and includes some "names" who shoot 20b they all shoot 12b.

yes but ...................!!!

:)

My wife was the one who got /me/ into shooting... She's 5"2 or something, but has good shoulders; she's currently learning (as I am) and using a 20; she tried a 12 but it's just too heavy for her at the moment; the 20 is a lot better on that respect, and she can shoot 100 cartridges in one session without her arms falling off.

She DOES have a bad stance, as described, but it can't be escaped until she builds the necessary muscles. So we've been doing /just that/ -- gym weights she has around and will hold at arm length whenever she can, and also work on lower torso muscles by rotating her upper body while holding the weights.

It already helped a lot -- in fact I'm doing the same exercises myself, as even if I've actually got pretty massive shoulders, the 'shooting muscles' are slightly unusual, I've discovered!

Right now the 20 is excellent (it's gorgeous as well; Browning 425 Grade 5!), as she can /shoot/ and /hit/ stuff, I'm fairly sure as she progresses, she'll get a better stance, and perhaps eventually will be able to shoot the 12. Ultimately it's about having fun in the meantime!

Again thanks everyone for the advice

I bought some 21gr carts today for her to try in the rotweill as its not too heavy for her

Cheers rob

Sorry for the slow response.

My better half had more or less the same issue - quite slight, found a 12g far too big and heavy and a .410 just wasn't right for clays (not saying you can't use one but just not right for her). Tried my friends 20b Silver Pigeon (lovely gun) but realised that the 30" barrels made it to barrel heavy and that put her off 20 bores. She tried a 28g she really liked it but gun and carts not cheap. I learnt to shoot with a 20b and really liked the idea of one we could both use.

Went looking for a `ladies` 20b and ended up with a brand new Lincoln Premier Junior/Youth. Shorter stock, 26" barrels, single trigger ejector and auto safety etc. She loves it. Not too heavy and most importantly she feels confident/comfortable with it (and hits stuff). She is an occasional shooter so I've got a stock extension for it and love to try it on pigeons and corvids.

Best of both worlds!

If you ever go to Kibworth - they usually have a loaner that you can hire for £10 and have as many shots as you like (take your SGC).

Hope you manage to find what works for her.