some people just dont think before they speak!

aka_t50

Evening all I've just got in from a shift at a well known supermarket what I saw and herd today beggars belief I was working away in a relatively busy supermarket when out of the corner of my eye I spot a bloke in cammo carrying a gun bag there were a few customers looking as he went past but most were none the wiser that in its self wasn't the issue no laws broken no intimidation but when he went through the tills the lad on the till a fellow shooter asked him what he was carrying in general conversation to which he reply a .22 air rifle that he had just had re sprung and tuned up to 19ftlb at this point he had costumers all around him luckily none of whom had enough knowledge to realise that the bloke was carrying a firearm he then went on to say he had been shooting rabbits on the local cannel towpaths! the bloke on the till couldn't believe that he had more or less just walked into a supermarket with an illegal firearm and admitted to it at a crowded till of people luckily no one knew or had any concerns so he walked out as he walked in but it could have been so different!

what is other peoples thoughts

Tim

yes my thoughts exactly and in my local area there is a lot of people that have there air rifle tuned to 18-25 ftlbs without fac my thoughts were more towards would a responsible shooter trying to portray the sport in the right light walk with a gun into a crowded supermarket and then mouth off about its power ?

Yes he may have a FAC in which case the gun is legal , not too likely he will have permission to shoot the canal tow path though.

For the purposes of the Firearms Act, the canal towpath is a Public Place ! The likelihood of the Section 1 air gun being legally held is slim, how many FAC holders do you know that would risk all, by shooting on a canal towpath ? Problem is, should he get caught and the Press get hold of it, things will be blown out of all proportion and the rest of us bear the flack. An anonymous call to Crimestoppers springs to mind !

He may of thought the car weren't the best place for his gun on this occasion and wanted it in his possession and If it's slipped he's well within his rights to do so. As for the shooting rabbits from footpaths , I shoot a lot of rabbits from footpaths that go through farms I shoot with a rimfire day and night but note the word FROM as apposed to up or across.

I was walking on a tow path as a lad and I was watching 2 blokes shooting down the canal at bottles ???

On another occasion in the same spot I was talking to a couple of blokes with springers shooting anything that moved and they both bragged about the 18ftlb and 40ftlb break barrels they were using ( in his dreams)

These idiots were all on public towpaths and shooting across water into a blind bend

Edited by team tractor

He may of thought the car weren't the best place for his gun on this occasion and wanted it in his possession and If it's slipped he's well within his rights to do so. As for the shooting rabbits from footpaths , I shoot a lot of rabbits from footpaths that go through farms I shoot with a rimfire day and night but note the word FROM as apposed to up or across.

FAC and his legality is just assuming.... However, shopping with a gun on his back...? I don't think there's any justifiable 'good reason' to have a firearm (air rifle) in a supermarket - end of! It should have been taken home first or locked in the boot of his car - preferably within his sight. That bloke is an out and out idiot and exactly the sort of person the shooting community can do without.

Oh, and we shoot across footpaths all the time. The footpath across a farm is a usually a right of access not public property, so just access your risks before shooting. The info is out there with regard to legal activities and impeding the progress of footpath users etc and should be common knowledge of any shooter. Make sure you know the law, because if you are ever challenged you cannot rely on the average bobby or bobble-hat to know it verbatim.

Again. how do we know it's illegal was he asked if he had a FAC ? no. op stated it was illegal and that's taken as verbatim. good ol PW. Hang him, get police to stake out the supermarket 24/7.

The gentleman who started the post said it was illegal. And since he was there listening to the conversation I am assuming his post is accurate. If not then you have a point. Still don't think it is good idea to walk around the shops with a gun in a bag, legality aside.

Maybe he was towing his home behind his transit and thought it was not safe to leave the gun in the "home" or vehicle in the Morrissons carpark. The police may well support this notion. He really should have parked in Waitrose and left the gun secured in his "home" though..

Edited by malkiserow

The legality was an assumption which then moved to the more pertinent point being shooting rabbits from a towpath. It's not a good idea I agree but it's not against the law to take your gun with you. picking hairs but op didn't say he was privy to the conversation so I'm guessing it's what he was told. I'm out, call the police op and advise us when they attend and the outcome

Edited by digger

The gentleman who started the post said it was illegal. And since he was there listening to the conversation I am assuming his post is accurate. If not then you have a point. Still don't think it is good idea to walk around the shops with a gun in a bag, legality aside.

Firstly as already posted the chap could have held a FAC for the air rifle,secondly at this point the only chap to know if it was illegal or not was the chap carrying It (or at least he should) :good: without running it over a chrono, no one could prove otherwise :yes:

I agree going into a supermarket with a rifle is not the most sensible thing to do,but some folk do silly things :good:

Edited by Bluebarrels

FAC and his legality is just assuming.... However, shopping with a gun on his back...? I don't think there's any justifiable 'good reason' to have a firearm (air rifle) in a supermarket - end of! It should have been taken home first or locked in the boot of his car - preferably within his sight. That bloke is an out and out idiot and exactly the sort of person the shooting community can do without.

Oh, and we shoot across footpaths all the time. The footpath across a farm is a usually a right of access not public property, so just access your risks before shooting. The info is out there with regard to legal activities and impeding the progress of footpath users etc and should be common knowledge of any shooter. Make sure you know the law, because if you are ever challenged you cannot rely on the average bobby or bobble-hat to know it verbatim.

I agree with your point about assumption, buts that’s where it stops.

Firstly despite recommending a shooter knowing the intricacies of gun law. It really should not be incumbent upon shooters because of the misconceptions of the public at large and ineptitude of our police force to know the law.

Further to this, and onto my main point if its in the slip take it to church for all I care. Your being hypocritical, you are making an assumption that he did not have good reason to have it there (again not that this is required). 'Perhaps' he waked to and from his shooting permission and wanted a drink on the way home...

Sorry if this is a long story but I feel it provides sufficient evidence to support my argument. I was traveling not too long ago and the quickest and easiest way to get there was by train, but planned on shooting whilst there (visiting family). As such gave my FEO a ring and he said no problem as long as in slip. Had a nice chat on my home platform with the conductor (who I now know shoots)... So through London and on the tube I trotted. Gave a smile to the armed police in Kings X (who smiled back). And was asked in M & S whilst buying a packet of crisps and drink waiting for a train if 'that' was a gun, to which I responded yes [in my eyes it would have been far more irresponsible and suspicious to say no]. And as a results got to shoot with my family and spoke to several fellow shooters en route who stuck up conversations with me (knowing what my gun bag was).

So In reality as far as I am concerned he had every right to be shopping with his gun and to state what it was.

I agree with your point about assumption, buts that’s where it stops.

Firstly despite recommending a shooter knowing the intricacies of gun law. It really should not be incumbent upon shooters because of the misconceptions of the public at large and ineptitude of our police force to know the law.

Further to this, and onto my main point if its in the slip take it to church for all I care. Your being hypocritical, you are making an assumption that he did not have good reason to have it there (again not that this is required). 'Perhaps' he waked to and from his shooting permission and wanted a drink on the way home...

Sorry if this is a long story but I feel it provides sufficient evidence to support my argument. I was traveling not too long ago and the quickest and easiest way to get there was by train, but planned on shooting whilst there (visiting family). As such gave my FEO a ring and he said no problem as long as in slip. Had a nice chat on my home platform with the conductor (who I now know shoots)... So through London and on the tube I trotted. Gave a smile to the armed police in Kings X (who smiled back). And was asked in M & S whilst buying a packet of crisps and drink waiting for a train if 'that' was a gun, to which I responded yes [in my eyes it would have been far more irresponsible and suspicious to say no]. And as a results got to shoot with my family and spoke to several fellow shooters en route who stuck up conversations with me (knowing what my gun bag was).

So In reality as far as I am concerned he had every right to be shopping with his gun and to state what it was.

Trains can be a sticky issue, by purchasing a ticket you are agreeing to conditions, guns on trains are frequently prohibited not by law (if in a sealed slip/bag etc) but by the train operating company rules.