Buying an AYA no2

olim

Im looking to buy an aya no2 and wondered what to look out for when looking at a gun, for example how to check the barrels have plenty of life left, also is there much difference in whether they have the detachable lock - is this reflected in the price?

thanks

Im looking to buy an aya no2 and wondered what to look out for when looking at a gun, for example how to check the barrels have plenty of life left, also is there much difference in whether they have the detachable lock - is this reflected in the price?

thanks

Are you a complete beginner? How is it that you know you want to but a 2 but you don't seem to know anything about guns? It doesn't seem to make sense to me. It's like saying " I want to buy a Ford Mondeo and I'm wondering if they are any good and how do I know if it is a complete wreck". expand you post a bit so it is clearer why you want a 2 specifically.

No i am not a beginner, however it would be my first sidelock. As I stated I am looking for feedback from people who may have had one previously. Basically is there anything specific to look out for when buying one, is there anything on them prone to breaking? Also is there much difference between having the detachable locks or not, apart from obviously being able to remove them.

I bought an older (but I would 8/10) no 2 from PW

for £700. Undamaged screws, Good barrels, a few marks on the wood from cabinets.

A friend in my syndicate bought it off me, I wouldn't have sold it to him otherwise, he loves it.

I see no2 guns come up less than £1000, then similar guns come up close to £2000.

The firing pins break often, but are easily changed, the problem is if they break out in the field you need a back up gun. It's much better to get custom ones made by a competent gunsmith who knows aya.

A trumpet shape pin lasts 1000's of shots longer. (They don't snap as often.)

The firing pins break often, but are easily changed, the problem is if they break out in the field you need a back up gun. It's much better to get custom ones made by a competent gunsmith who knows aya.

A trumpet shape pin lasts 1000's of shots longer. (They don't snap as often.)

the only problem i have ever had are with firing pins in an aya..............always had new ones made ...never had the problem again..

Magman that no2 is a peach, wish I had one like it in my cabinet.

Check condition as others have said and look for one with nice wood as loads have peices of floorboard for woodwork on a gun that ain't cheap to buy new.

Edited by figgy

Thanks for the replies, could anyone tell me about the difference between having the detachable locks or not and whether this would affect the value?

As far as I know, the only difference is that the pin (screw) has a 'lever' on top, not a slot for a screwdriver. I don't know on value, but I wouldn't pay any more because I can easily remove 'normal' locks.

You should not 'routinely' remove locks or the wood to metal fit will gradually get worn. By all means remove to dry after a soaking, but only when needed. Regrettably, my No 1 has had several soakings this season!

Right, now we know where you are coming from. I've got 4 AyA guns. 1x 25 Sl. 1x 25 Bl 1x #4 1x #2 in 28 gauge. The only problem that I have ever had was with the #4 when the right hand mainspring broke on a shoot and only had the one barrel operating. I took no notice and carried on shooting using the one barrel. I made another spring and fitted it. Never had a pin go. You wont wear barrels out unless you go onto salt marsh and don't clean it or just abuse it. I'd rather go without the sideplate lock lever and have the ordinary screwed sideplates because I know of one that the owner had the lever come loose and he lost the lever and screw. I don't see why anyone would want to go and start taking the plates off anyway. I've had sidelocks for many years and they are still as clean as the day that they were made. The top lever want to be slightly to the right and the action smooth with a nice dull klonk when it is shut easily without slapping it home. The action from new is smooth and firm without being tight. Go and have a look at a new one and feel the action should you wish to compare the other guns that you might look at. The 28 bore 2 that I have is an exceptional exhibit of the gunmakers art. OK not a bespoke English gun but it is very good. As near to the ideal without having one made. The price of these #2 guns has gone through the roof in recent years. prices start low at about £700 s/h and go up to about £9000 for a new round bodied .

This is my #2 in 28.

208_0877rsz.jpg

DSCN1418a.jpg

compair001rsz.jpg

Edited by fortune

After several attempts the AyA striker problem seems to have been solved .The current factory strikers which I have been fitting for several years now and have not had any problems with them breaking.

Originality is the thing to look for ,lots a colour hardening , original bluing and checkering as unworn as possible . The whole detachable lock thing is neither here nor there ,most seem to have detachable locks but some people dont like them and have had a normal screw fitted .

i too am looking for a nice No2 so this thread has been great. I have recently bought a 25sl. 1 owner, which came in a car case with all the original paperwork from 1974. great gun for little money as the shorter barrels seem out of favour right now. The rib makes a big difference for clays. No 2's seem a minefield so i going to wait, see what comes into my trusted local shops and take some comfort in the warranty they provide. I will probably pay retail price but hopefully get a good gun that will last me and my son our lifetimes.

My father in law (a gamekeeper) bought his No2 sidelock, new, back in the 80's. He looks after it but doesn't pamper it. It's his only gun but is still in excellent condition, smooth and firm action (as fortune mentions) no pitting in barrels, beautiful wood and chequering holding up well for a 30+ yr old gun that's had thousands of cartridges through it.

Only time it ever broke was 2 yrs ago when one of the mainsprings broke, quick trip to his gun smith sorted that. Excellent gun overall.