200 yard gun

mk 38

yep that would do it, or any of the following - .223 remington, .204 ruger, 22-250 remington, 243 winchester all capable of killing crows and foxes out to 200 yards and beyond. Popular rifles are the tikka, howa, sako, remington, cz, browning, ruger, to name a few makers all produce rifles up to the job in the above calibers. Have a look at a few down your local gun shop and see what you like and don't, it comes down to personal choice really.

why not make it easy with a 204 flat, fast round?

222 & 223 are great but in my opinion judging drop is a great skill and a must have for a serious shooter but if you don't have to why do it (assuming your not only shooting at 200 yards)

disclaimer ... I respect the views of others this is just my view, I also realise a 204 is not the cheapest rifle to feed

kennym

i would agree if he said 300 yds

but 200 yd is a zero for any 222/223

1" high at 100 when I zero at 200 with any of the 40-60gr ammo I use in my .222

thats point and shoot at crows out to 220-250 (wind allowing!)

Point taken,

Edited by kennym

i would agree if he said 300 yds

but 200 yd is a zero for any 222/223

1" high at 100 when I zero at 200 with any of the 40-60gr ammo I use in my .222

thats point and shoot at crows out to 220-250 (wind allowing!)

This.

I use a .223 for vermin control and have recently had a re-barrel (CZ527 now sporting a 26 inch Lothar Walther barrel, 1/8 twist). Still bedding the barrel in but so far, it's looking like the ideal tool for 200m crow. Superbly accurate.

HI need some help on what rifle to get and caliber main job carrion crows and fox

You dont really give much info MK, as such your getting all sorts of answers with the best one so far being - it doesn't really matter, any centre fire caliber will do just as well as another out to 200yds.

200yds isn't really far you see and even a crow sized target at that distance isn't exactly small. All this talk of how flat a caliber is again doesn't really come into it if 200yds is your max distance, anything centerfire that was zero'd 1" high at 100yds would pretty much give you a point blank range from 25-200yds.

Do you care what it is? are you wanting a cheap truck gun or something of great beauty, do you want to reload or buy as cheap a factory ammo as possible?

My thoughts would be for a 222 or 223, you dont need anything bigger for crow and fox at 200yds and all calibers are flat (in a relative sense) and drift pretty much the same in the wind over this relatively short distance. Yes, some will drift a bit less than others but no so as you would miss in a 10mph wind. A .222 that shot PPU ammo well makes for an easy and versatile rifle that could cost you a few hundred quid, if you want something elaborate then I could sell you a 20 Tac for a grand - I think we need more info :)