Steel over lead

eventer1

Hi

I would like the opinions of those out there with more knowledge than myself.

I've been told for clay shooting that steel is actually better than lead in the following ways.

1. the shot being harder forms better patterns. 2, the breaking of clays is better because the shot is harder. 3, it has less of a shot trail. 4, cleaner and more eco friendly. 5, all can be done in the normal distances that we shoot clays.

I would really appreciate your views and any other comments. one more thing we it have any detrimental effects on the life and condition of the gun, ie damage in the long term.

I have shot 2 steel loads through 2 guns over 2 seasons at trap targets. Loads being RC2 24g and Clever Mirage Steel 28g both in #7 (EU - 2.5mm). Guns were Browning Trap Ultra with fixed 3/4 and 1/1 chokes and Miroku Mk70 with factory 1/2 and 3/4 flush chokes.

1. Patterns - I haven't noticed any difference (I patten all my cartridges at 20 and 40m)

2. Breaking of clays were the same, there were quite some clays picked after the shoot that had visible hits (grazed) but didnt brake - I don't know - I havent noticed any differnce - I have shot some of my best scores with steel there...

3. I can't say

4. We shoot steel to be eco friendly on one ground, however looking at all the plastic wads remaining on the ground I wonder if it is indeed so?

5. See No 2

Other guns that were regulary shot with RC2 24g steel were Beretta 686, Browning B25, Lanber, Perazzi with fixed chokes and Beretta 692 with factory 1/2 and 3/4 chokes and others I don't recall - there is nothing wrong with any as far as I know.

To be fair - and I know not whether or not this was once correct - but is the comment regarding Eley Lightenings currently valid? From their advertised figures, it would seem not - again from their own advertised figures - unlike the 3&1/2" mammoth offering from Gamebore which appears to exceed the top end momentum limit.

I use steel almost exclusively have done for a few years now

The exception is I occasionally shoot lead at crows if I have no rusty cap steel shells to use up from old stock of lead

The steel shouldn't contact the barrel in a well made shell

I dont know any Wildfowler who has messed one up that I can bring to mind

It works fv one for clay having a higher shot count and the energy window means nothing

I'll stick to lead for as long as possible. I'm a great believer in if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Indeed. :good:

I'm sure if steel patterned better and broke clays more decisively and cleanly all the top clay shots would switch in a heartbeat.

That's not to say that that steel is not capable, it is, but lead is still the best ammunition around.

U obviously havnt shot steel coming out with a comment like that, I shoot ducks every week at 40+ yards with gamebore 32 and 36 gram 3 steel and kill them stone dead,the videos there to prove it if u want proof

I would imagine as the thread was about using steel for clays Stevo is talking about small steel shot of size 7.5 or so which I would agree are nowhere as good as lead at extended ranges.

U obviously havnt shot steel coming out with a comment like that, I shoot ducks every week at 40+ yards with gamebore 32 and 36 gram 3 steel and kill them stone dead,the videos there to prove it if u want proof

I think they were talking about clay targets. Different ball game.

Indeed chaps thats what the OP was asking . The use of steel for clay targets . Im fully aware of how larger steel works on game . But standard steel and clays IMO can not really be compared . Sorry for any confusion .

Stevo

Indeed. :good:

I'm sure if steel patterned better and broke clays more decisively and cleanly all the top clay shots would switch in a heartbeat.

That's not to say that that steel is not capable, it is, but lead is still the best ammunition around.

They do in some disaplines I am told

As you get more pellets per ounce be better to use number six shot size in steel clay carts.

I have in the past bought some clay steel carts put them in same pocket as some lead carts and loaded the semi auto without checking what carts I was putting in and could not tell what cartridge by the breaks I got or any difference in speeds. Some of the targets were 40 to 45 yards showing some underside.

Lead is better for live quarry and distance clays. If steel were compulsory targets would have to change accordingly. Better to keep lead.

Yes I was on the beer and misread the post sorry,but I have shot hundreds of feral pigeons with gb competition steel 28 g 7's at 40 to 50 yards,I don't shoot lead at all anymore but I don't shoot clays so I'll say no more lol

but are they dead or do they carry on for some distance,if they are dead then i cant wait to try my 3" hp steel,should be good for 70-80yds :hmm:

but are they dead or do they carry on for some distance,if they are dead then i cant wait to try my 3" hp steel,should be good for 70-80yds :hmm:

He may well have killed them at that range with those cartridges. You would be much less likely to achieve the second part of your statement.

Yes they are dead, I shoot them with a briley duck commander ported full choke for steel in my browning maxus, we do a cull once a month during the summer at a mill,their feral pigeons so a lot easier to kill than duck's, o and for your info I kill ducks at the same ranges with gamebore 32 and 36 gram no3 and 1 steel through the same gun,I killed teal stone dead at 30 yards with those gb 28 gram 7 at the start of the season in my bettinsoli x trail that I use as a swatter load when chasing wounded birds in the boat