EU In or out

old'un

for those that want to know how eu works,had this email sent to me,
Pythagoras' theorem - 24 words.
Lord's Prayer - 66 words.
Archimedes' Principle - 67 words.
10 Commandments - 179 words.
Gettysburg address - 286 words.
US Declaration of Independence - 1,300 words.
US Constitution with all 27 Amendments - 7,818 words.
EU regulations on the sale of cabbage - 26,911 words

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many ex-pats are still paying their dues to HMRC. I get taxed on my pension and any interest in savings in my UK bank. A lot still have properties in the UK and pay council tax and also tax on any rental income plus tax on income and savings.

I'm not saying it is right or wrong, but personally I won't be voting because I don't feel comfortable about it.

if we take the line that paying ones dues to HMRC gets you a vote wouldn't we need to open it up to all the migrants who have made the UK home

if we take the line that paying ones dues to HMRC gets you a vote wouldn't we need to open it up to all the migrants who have made the UK home

Well no. The ex-pats will still be British, have British passports, and have paid British taxes all their working life.

I'm afraid that is completely made up.

Not necessarily, that agreement could remain in place, after all there are some French people and others from European countries in the UK, remember that the reciprocal health agreement does not include some member states such as Holland for example! Your argument is null and void!

Whilst the agreement on health could remain, there is no guarantee that it will. And that along with the other things is enough doubt to cause some to vote 'In'.

It's all ifs, buts and maybes. You may as well toss a coin on the detail. The only certainty is in your own mind. Do you like the thought of being increasingly european or do you want to kick against that trend. If yes, vote to stay in. If no, then vote to leave.

I guarantee the rest won't be any clearer on polling day.

Many ex-pats are still paying their dues to HMRC. I get taxed on my pension and any interest in savings in my UK bank. A lot still have properties in the UK and pay council tax and also tax on any rental income plus tax on income and savings.

I'm not saying it is right or wrong, but personally I won't be voting because I don't feel comfortable about it.

I rather think we are talking at cross purpose

I don't call expats those British Citizens who still maintain a UK home and are considered by HMRC as UK domicile. I made the mistake of assuming, when you spoke of expats, you refeered people who have chosen to move their domicile to another country and no longer have a home here and are not liable to UK tax (other than income earned in the UK unless of course there is a reciprocal tax agreement in place).

I have a second home in the Canaries, but ensure I fulfill all the criteria so as not to be classed as a Spanish resident or subject to their income tax. I class myself as a British resident not a expat. And as such have no qualms about voting out. I just spend a month there and a month here as takes my fancy.

Edited by CharlieT

. We are being fed no end of horror stories about how bad things will be if we leave the union, and how the country will be worse off etc etc. :mad:

Yes, I seem to remember only last week Cameron telling us that if we leave the EU it would leave it, and us, considerably weaker and the only person who would be happy with that would be a certain Mr.Putin.

Fast forward a few days and all of a sudden George Osborne tells us that the G20 finance ministers have all signed a declaration saying how we'd be so much better off inside the EU. One of those ministers is of course from Russia.

So now I'm confused Mr Cameron, do Russia want us in or out?

Oh what a tangled web we weave. When first we practice to deceive.

I rather think we are talking at cross purpose

I don't call expats those British Citizens who still maintain a UK home and are considered by HMRC as UK domicile. I made the mistake of assuming, when you spoke of expats, you refeered people who have chosen to move their domicile to another country and no longer have a home here and are not liable to UK tax (other than income earned in the UK unless of course there is a reciprocal tax agreement in place).

I have a second home in the Canaries, but ensure I fulfill all the criteria so as not to be classed as a Spanish resident or subject to their income tax. I class myself as a British resident not a expat. And as such have no qualms about voting out. I just spend a month there and a month here as takes my fancy.

That's the thing Charlie. Where do you draw the line? I meet a lot of British people living over here as part of my work as a mole trapper. Some have sold up lock, stock and barrel, others retain a home in the UK even though they spend 10 or 11 months or even the full year out here. They keep the UK property in case of having to go back. Some UK banks refuse to accept non-UK addresses so people who are permanent residents here have a UK postal address just to satisfy the bank. Teachers, police officers and other government workers will pay tax in the UK on pensions and may also pay tax in France on interest on their UK investments, or as in my case, my income. There are a lot of possibilities and as such grey areas.

Incidentally; We have an apartment in Cyprus and annually have to declare to the Cypriot Government how many days we were in Cyprus. If we were there for more than 6 months in any year we would have to pay towards their civil defence and armed forces.

It is, but the damned if I am going to count them myself, the Brassica compliance leaflet I got for just the updates for 2015/2016 was a lot of pages all full of **** people just make up just to keep themselves in employment without actually having to ever really work.

What doesn't ever come out the is the diferences between the countries in the EU and how they manage the food assurance schemes, ie The beef and lamb scheme we are on we need to get 91% or more to pass and on some sections it needs to be 100%, Ireland's similar scheme ( similar as in UK Supermarkets and burger chains required it to import ) if applied our scheme to them they would only need 54% to pass. Similar with Veg imports from southern EU in particular and Milk imports from Poland.

Sadly a lot of the big bad EU regs start out as a few paragraphs or couple of pages but by the time our civil servants get the hands on it ends up reems of the damn stuff.

I was enjoying hawkfanz post, and you had to ruin it :lol::lol:

i love this !!...............it sort of sums up the whole in or out question............wonderful stories that you so want to believe but no genuine facts or proof to back it up...it does tend to sum up the EU tho'

someone earlier in the thread made a very good observation...and that was....the in people tend to ask "whats in it for me ?" and the out people tend to ask "will my children be better off and will it mean a better future for my country "..........

I was enjoying hawkfanz post, and you had to ruin it :lol::lol:

Sorry, but here's an interesting fact; the official EU mission statement has exactly 666 words and was officially published on Hitler's birthday.

Sort of proves everything I've already decided about the EU...

Just for the record I'm still undecided on the old in-out (so to speak) but all things considered I'm now more in the out camp than in. I think I'm filtering most of the rubbish that's presented as sound argument but that doesn't leave a lot to work with.

Sorry, but here's an interesting fact; the official EU mission statement has exactly 666 words and was officially published on Hitler's birthday.

Sort of proves everything I've already decided about the EU...

Just for the record I'm still undecided on the old in-out (so to speak) but all things considered I'm now more in the out camp than in. I think I'm filtering most of the rubbish that's presented as sound argument but that doesn't leave a lot to work with.

well if proof were needed then that does for me, :yes: filtering out rubbish is a full time job, (there could be a eu grant available) personally I would rather we made our own decisions than be dictated too by others

well if proof were needed then that does for me, :yes: filtering out rubbish is a full time job, (there could be a eu grant available) personally I would rather we made our own decisions than be dictated too by others

666.........mark of the devil

Been for a coiffure today (that isn't a posh coffee by the way) and my French hairdresser asked me about the UK referendum. What was interesting was when I asked her what she thought of the EU. Not a lot I gather. Too many taxes from people like her finding their way into agricultural subsidies. She works six days a week, is always busy and can't even afford a holiday.

We have a long standing friend who's partner is French and works for a government company. He too is totally anti-EU for the same reasons.

Bumped into a Dutch neighbour. She was also talking about the referendum and was jealous that her country hadn't been given the opportunity to vote on leaving the EU. She is sick of what it is doing to her country.

For those interested in the economic implications of leaving the EU I recommend listening to this clip by Prof Patrick Minford (Prof of Economics Cardiff University)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leKEUT1TiLU

It's a shame that it was so unashamedly partisan and, due to the title, a needlessly aggressive bit of UKIP negativity.

Censoring an argument so that it edits out any opinion at odds with your own makes it propaganda and not debate.

And before anyone suggests the BBC does the same, it doesn't.

It is all well and good the posters on this site wanting out but I think that the general public want the hard facts laid out plain and clear but who is going to do this. Is there going to be a cash hand out to fund the out campaign.

It's a shame that it was so unashamedly partisan and, due to the title, a needlessly aggressive bit of UKIP negativity.

Censoring an argument so that it edits out any opinion at odds with your own makes it propaganda and not debate.

And before anyone suggests the BBC does the same, it doesn't.

Agreed about the title and comments, but I had thought that the edits were down to the Prof' repeatedly hitting his head against a brick wall. Is there more to it?

Agreed about the title and comments, but I had thought that the edits were down to the Prof' repeatedly hitting his head against a brick wall. Is there more to it?

Whether he is correct or not isn't the issue as it is all conjecture on both sides and each has to have their assertions scrutinised and cross examined, the problem was that the edited video only showed one side of the argument from a professor well known for his opinion, and the other professor, from the LSE, presumably there as a counter balance, was not heard talking or being cross examined.

Personally I found his rhetoric a little worrying, particularly as he appeared to advocate letting the car industry, and others, decline in a purely global market driven economy - no country on Earth does that, and if we did we wouldn't produce anything at all. And I'm not sure where he gets the population figure of 30 million from - but beside those points, his views are important but so are those of the other professor.