Help clear up a few things

old06

In my short time with ya'll I been trying to piece together fire arm ownership for you chaps its not what I thought first off I see you have a list with openings what's with that does this gun cabinet play into to it I must say that it is less clear now than when I stared there is gun's you can only target shoot with, if I could get the whole thing explained it would be great

Ok. I'll try. From your post you mention list with openings on..... I'll assume you mean open slots on a Firearm certificate.

In the uk under the current licensing system an FAC holder has to show "good reason" to possess each and every Section 1 firearm he has . Reasons can be vermin/ deer control or target shooting. Each firearm is then licenced by the police for it to be used in accordance with the purpose for which the owner needs it for. You need to be licenced for a particular calibre in order to buy it. For instance, someone with say a .22 authorisation or slot on his licence can't go to a gunshop and buy any other calibre than .22. Niether can he buy more than one .22 rifles.

Gun cabinets only come into it in that it is the certificate holders responsibility to ensure that the firearms are securely stored. Gun cabinets are the usual way to store them but there are other ways

MOST shotguns:

Owned on Shotgun Certificate. No prior approval per purchase required. ...so buy as many as you can securely store.

Firearms:

For target shooting as part of an approved club of which you are s full member.

Or

Vermin control/stalking/hunting. ...on approved land over which you have shooting rights.

ALL Firearm Certificate purchases require full pre approval & permission as such is itemised on the FAC

FAC firearms are rifles, some shotguns (due to barrels under 24" for non-semi/pump types - or magazines over 2 rd capacity for the latter), long barrel pistols (UK laws for FAC are 12" min. barrel/24" min. oal.), plus some historical pistols under section 7.1 & 7.3

Ammunition for shotguns does not need a license to own, but does need one to buy. Solid slug & some other types are held on FAC.

All FAC ammunition type & qty needs pre-approval

ALL guns including airguns need to be secured. The level of this varies depending on type & locality. Locked cupboards may do for airguns. Steel safes for the rest. Or secure "gun room"

Edited by saddler

Obammy won't get his way it's been settled .......shall not be infringed............. supreme court up held private sales are still ok if I see one in the paper I can go pay the person and walk away I've done just that many times

Edited by old06

in short what does it take to get a firearm here we go pick one out fill out a form they call in for a background check if it good we pay and leave if not we don't get the gun

Right. What type of firearm do you want? What do you want to use it for? Where do you want to use it?

Basically, you fill in a firearm application form in it saying what type of firearm you would like to have. You will need to say why you need it, where you will use it. You will pay for the licence at the same time you send the form off. You will then be interviewed at home and assessed. Full background checks will be carried out.

If you are successful, a certificate is issued and you can then go buy the firearm that you have applied for

Never mind private sales.

Get onto the CMP & grab a Garand & M1 Carbine (latter are JUST back in CMP stores again)

Miss my M1 Carbine!

(& my AR15A2, Colt Ser 70 Gold Cup, Colt Python, Colt New Service, Walther P38, S&W M41, etc.)

At least the US NRA has a voice.

U.K. NRA is run for London based ex-public school type TR shooters. They gave zero objection to any of the proposed bans.

If you're confused, think how we feel - we have to live with it! :lol:

I started to answer sensibly but soon realised I'd have to write a thesis and deleted what I written. At the moment, we're in a state of flux as things could be changing but suffice to say, with some exceptions regarding low powered air guns, everything we are permitted to own has to be licensed. Having met any legal (criminal activities/offences) and medical criteria a Shotgun Certificate is straightforward to obtain which then permits you to have any number consistent with any necessary secure storage. However, some shot sizes and magazine capabilities call for the grant of a Firearms Certificate. These are more difficult to obtain as proof of use has to be provided and each and every one held is placed upon the certificate as is the ammunition entitlement. Expanding ammunition is additionally controlled. We have no problem with moderators(silencers). The situation in Northern Ireland is a little different.

saddler that great I have my late father in law guns in there is a 03A3 in the bunch don't have a super grade just the standard Winchester in ought six its my first brand new gun my wife bought me for our 2nd anniversary love that woman she has bought me several over the 40 years we been married

Air rifles.

One small child was killed with one.

The killer was the friend & drug pusher for the child's parents.

The airgun had previously been owned by the child's father, but had been passed to the dealer as part payment for drug debt.

The SNP cleaned up the grieving parents for the media circus & promoted them as model citizens in order to get the media behind the new airgun law. Sorry. ...AirWEAPON law.

A poll of the Scottish public had something like 79% against any changes.

SNP are Marxist regime change types. Akin to the Third Reich....but given the local river, I refer to them as the ForthReich.

They are very dangerous & hide behind Scottish nationalism to try to sway the public.

May 5th may be an eye-opener for them as a lot of their votes last time were protest ones (instead of voting for Scottish Labour)

Edited by saddler

Politician's no matter what level I have no trust I understand some of the apprehension to address this topic but we are also fighting the same mind set I been a Life Member of the NRA since 1990 and well before that yearly member from the 70's I'll never lay down I'll never comply I'll always fight for our right that we fought for that said I hate what they the politician's turn your system into I don't want to turn this into nothing more than a education for me to see what ya'll have to do

In my short time with ya'll I been trying to piece together fire arm ownership for you chaps its not what I thought first off I see you have a list with openings what's with that does this gun cabinet play into to it I must say that it is less clear now than when I stared there is gun's you can only target shoot with, if I could get the whole thing explained it would be great

Hi old06, quite a request for information.

You need to read and understand our Home Office Guidance first then try to understand the interpretation of these by our regional Police forces we have here.

Very complex and confusing as you will realise from UK forums.

There is no cohesive organisation here to represent us as you have stateside.

Please forgive the less than polite replies to your request.

old man

Most of us here remain confused so I understand your request.