insa remould 4x4 tyres

islandgun

I ran a series 3 Land Rover on Insa Turbo Saraha for a few years and found them very good off road and well mannered on tarmac (not too noisy, went in the direction I pointed them in on damp roads and pulled up well when needed). A friend of mine had them on his 90 too, and has chosen the Dakar pattern to replace them on his latest rebuild. I would have them on my Range Rover but didn't think the speed ratings matched up to its requirements. Good tyres for the money in my opinion.

ATB

S.G.

I have 12k on my rangers. They are fine on the road and fine off the road. They are heavy and a pain to balance. They aren't the best on road or off road, but they are fine. If you are only off road and want mud, then the mud tire are nice and chunky. I would use them. They are cheap so for lower miles I would get them again.

Rick

I would not use a remould .all they are is worn out tyres that have had their life and just had a new tread strip glued on.your 4x4 is a heavy motor and you need good tyres on to keep you and others safe.

I thought it was common practice to remould aircraft tyres? And just think of the forces when landing a large jet. But I may be wrong?

I had Insas on 3 diff trucks and apart from nearly running out of balancing weights couldn't fault them, never had a puncture and would take my truck anywhere, usually until it just bottomed out. Also at that price if you do hit something particularly pointy it won't make you cry. Saw a think in lr mag a few years ago about the manufacturing process as insa and it was pretty much as involved as making the tyre from new, only using an old carcass. And yes I think aircraft, and definitely hgv tyres are commonly remoulded so any be all that bad!

I had Insas on 3 diff trucks and apart from nearly running out of balancing weights couldn't fault them, never had a puncture and would take my truck anywhere, usually until it just bottomed out. Also at that price if you do hit something particularly pointy it won't make you cry. Saw a think in lr mag a few years ago about the manufacturing process as insa and it was pretty much as involved as making the tyre from new, only using an old carcass. And yes I think aircraft, and definitely hgv tyres are commonly remoulded so any be all that bad!

it was the manufacturing that impressed me. cutting the old rubber almost back to the rim. unlike lorry tyres which just have a new tread, they also pushed the recycling aspect. which appears to be a better idea than just dumping. I do like the tread on the insa and apart from the ocassional trip to Inverness the roads on Harris are more like green laning. however the safety of my family is the most important part which was why I wondered if anyone had ever been let down by them

cheers everyone IG :good:

Edited by islandgun

I would not use a remould .all they are is worn out tyres that have had their life and just had a new tread strip glued on.your 4x4 is a heavy motor and you need good tyres on to keep you and others safe.

I thought a lot of lorry and agricultural tyres were remoulds? There are Insa turbo tyres on my Jimny and they are fine, nothing special. I had Geolanders on the Rav4 and found them to be a great tyre in most conditions, I'd have them again.

I thought a lot of lorry and agricultural tyres were remoulds? There are Insa turbo tyres on my Jimny and they are fine, nothing special. I had Geolanders on the Rav4 and found them to be a great tyre in most conditions, I'd have them again.

And buses.

I have seen remould being done for trucks and vans.mostly in old farm buildings by people who's only concern was as much profit as possible. As for aircraft I would say they go through many checks before being passed fit to go again.and I wonder what the percentage is that get rejected.the remould tyres on our tipper are there because it runs into a landfill site every day and on average last about eight to ten weeks.but if saving a few pounds is your main concern go for it.

I have seen remould being done for trucks and vans.mostly in old farm buildings by people who's only concern was as much profit as possible. As for aircraft I would say they go through many checks before being passed fit to go again.and I wonder what the percentage is that get rejected.the remould tyres on our tipper are there because it runs into a landfill site every day and on average last about eight to ten weeks.but if saving a few pounds is your main concern go for it.

That isnt my concern I would happily pay twice as much for a tyre if it was proven to have a good tread, which is the reason I like/d the insa (deep tread) I write this because my wife recently went off roading in an inappropiate place in my ex- shogun and Im cooking the dinner until the plaster comes off :unhappy:

Maybe have a look at this ? http://www.michelintruck.com/tires-and-retreads/retreads/michelin-retread-technologies/

Lots of truck tyres are remoulded or remixed, by very reputable companies. Same with car and 4x4 tyres. You're confusing back street remoulders with top name businesses.

Maybe have a look at this ? http://www.michelintruck.com/tires-and-retreads/retreads/michelin-retread-technologies/

Lots of truck tyres are remoulded or remixed, by very reputable companies. Same with car and 4x4 tyres. You're confusing back street remoulders with top name businesses.

Thank you.i did not realise they fitted the £60 or £70 insa remould to 747s and the like.the tyres in your video are a million miles away from the cheap car and 4x4 tyres on this thread.

Thank you.i did not realise they fitted the £60 or £70 insa remould to 747s and the like.the tyres in your video are a million miles away from the cheap car and 4x4 tyres on this thread.

Not so far as you may think. Jumbo jet is what, 300 / 400 tons landing at 150mph (could be way out here), truck is 44t at 56mph, 4x4 is average 1500kg and remoulds are speed rated at 70 mph if I remember correctly.

Hence, jumbo tyres = mega bucks, truck tyres quite expensive, 4x4 tyres cheap. It's all about the rubber used and the time it takes to prepare them, big strong tyre £££££££££, small tyre £££.

I like the aggressive pattern of the Insa and I was almost certainly going to order a set.

But after a chat with the owner of the tyre fitters I regularly use I was put off.

He wasn't trying to sell me an alternative and he didn't specifically single these out but I wondered if he'd had a bad experience with remoulds in the past and it was now company policy to refuse to fit remoulds.

There has always been the old urban myths about remoulds shedding their tread, but I would think technology and modern safety standards have moved on enough to prevent this nowadays.

However, the fact this guy is in the trade and obviously knows his onions was the clincher.

I've worked with a company that manufactures tyre testing equipment specifically for remoulds and retreading. The tyre has to be tested before and after retreading. All remoulds have to be type approved and 'E' marked since 2004.

Despite public perception that remanufactured tyres do not perform as well as new tyres, UK-based insurance actuaries working in the vehicle insurance sector do not discriminate against the use of retreaded tyres. There is no reliable evidence to suggest remanufactured tyres are inferior to new units.

Of the approximately 34 million tyres annually reaching their ‘end-of-life’ in the UK, only about 6.5m are suitable for retreading. Suitable tyres are inspected by eye and X-rays to ensure the fabric and structure of the tyre is sound. The tyres are then further tested by tactile inspection, ultrasonic testing and laser shearography

It all comes down to whatever makes you happy.