Eley high velocity hollow (.22LR)

Is this the stuff you are referring to Steve?

http://www.eley.co.uk/eley-high-velocity-hollow

The "specifications" look interesting. I'm visiting my local Eley stockist tomorrow and will see how enthusiastic he is.

Yes, that's them. I mentioned about the new 'black' ammo' being released by Eley, a while ago. I'm going to get a few boxes and try them on Corvids (on the ground of course)

When looking at super sonic .22lr rounds is there generally an issue with accuracy? I have only used subs but was wondering about some hv rounds simply to get a flatter trajectory?

Yes, I hear this too and have tried with various degrees of success to get a definitive answer. Many will say that HV's are nowhere near as accurate as subs. To be fair, when I zero HV's at 75 paces they don't group as well but I can't understand why. Apparently it's to do with the transition from subsonic to supersonic but why is it only the rimfire round that is so unaccurate? Why doesn't this affect all other calibers... I have to say I am confused by it all.

Anyway having gone through all the time and trouble to re zero from subs to HV's recently I've decided to go back to subs as I've had a few misses and body shots which kind of defeats the object. It's a shame as I love the noise the HV's make...

I guess the twist rate of a normal .22LR is optimal for subsonic. Same reason that getting an accurate subsonic .223 round is difficult, for example. I like the .22LR because it's quiet. For longer distances or harder hitting there are more suitable calibres

When looking at super sonic .22lr rounds is there generally an issue with accuracy? I have only used subs but was wondering about some hv rounds simply to get a flatter trajectory?

I used to use Winchester Laser HV's, and found them to be accurate, producing some reasonable groups. Only used them on ground feeding Corvids.

Yes, I hear this too and have tried with various degrees of success to get a definitive answer. Many will say that HV's are nowhere near as accurate as subs. To be fair, when I zero HV's at 75 paces they don't group as well but I can't understand why. Apparently it's to do with the transition from subsonic to supersonic but why is it only the rimfire round that is so unaccurate? Why doesn't this affect all other calibers... I have to say I am confused by it all.

Anyway having gone through all the time and trouble to re zero from subs to HV's recently I've decided to go back to subs as I've had a few misses and body shots which kind of defeats the object. It's a shame as I love the noise the HV's make...

Many bullets become unstable at transonic threshold, not just rimmies. I had a great .308 load that shot very well up to 900yds but at 1100 they were sideways!

The only way to find accurate .22 hv's for your rifle is to try different types. I think that a lot of people have tried one or two different ones that didn't suit their rifle, and came to the conclusion that all .22 hv's are inaccurate. I picked up a box of federal classic 38 grain HV hollowpoints a few weeks back. Hadn't tried them before, didn't expect good results really, but at about four quid a box, not much to lose. Tried them, and to my surprise, at 75 yards they were bang on with a 60 yards zero for rws subs. 3/4 inch groups no problem. Plenty of nay sayers on here though.

The only way to find accurate .22 hv's for your rifle is to try different types. I think that a lot of people have tried one or two different ones that didn't suit their rifle, and came to the conclusion that all .22 hv's are inaccurate. I picked up a box of federal classic 38 grain HV hollowpoints a few weeks back. Hadn't tried them before, didn't expect good results really, but at about four quid a box, not much to lose. Tried them, and to my surprise, at 75 yards they were bang on with a 60 yards zero for rws subs. 3/4 inch groups no problem. Plenty of nay sayers on here though.

Thats a great result. I have a cz and would like to try a few different sorts but my local gun store only has winchester subs in! I will have to try a few others. The difference you describe ie moving the zero out to 75yds from 60 with subs is quite a useful swap when I am moving to a farm where I know the ranges are likely to be longer its a simple switch to make. Better for fox too with the extra energy.

Maybe, I used some CCI Stingers in a bolt action Annie some years ago, great killers when they connected but SSHPs were better accuracy wise.

A

1250 fps, that's about 850 mph. They're going to crack when they leave the barrel, mind you so do the HMR rounds and the bunnies don't seem to mind that for some strange reason.

I don't understand the supersonic forces on a projectile but i think I can follow the logic of the black case science, I wonder if they really work?

Many bullets become unstable at transonic threshold, not just rimmies. I had a great .308 load that shot very well up to 900yds but at 1100 they were sideways!

That has been the main issue when using HV 22LR bullets from just about any of my 22 rifles. I've never had a rifle that would shoot accurately past 50yds in HV as the destabilisation effect at transonic speeds seems to preclude accuracy, that and the inconsistency in burn rate (hence MVs) leaving the rifle hits accuracy too. Hard hitting up close but not an accurate longer range choice where I've found 40g Eley subs (and RWS) to be very accurate (about 1moa with the M77/22 at 100yds). Best group shot with HVs was over twice that and I could never find a brand that shot any different in my rifles. Be interested though in hearing back from anyone who has tried these new Eleys as they look more promising.

Edited by Savhmr