fac air

colin lad

a mate of mine has just got a slot for an fac air its for shooting rabbit's in his garden, feo said no to lr but yes to fac air, so as i am not really a air rifle man what would you recommend as the best fac air to get i know .22 will be best calibre running somewhere near 30 ft lb and that rapid's are good gun's but are they still making them? or would he be better off buying something else,

colin

I would guess it more depends on what is available if going s/h. I would suggest if thats all he wants to do with it not to spend too much as if a single smaller area it wont be long till they wise up. I have one here that I have been trying to get for the last year as it burrows into plants right next to house. Try as i might its eluded me so far. I just have to keep filling in the hole, which I will have to do again today.

I got my Air Ranger for £500 its only a year old and cost the original buyer +£1000!

Edited by oowee

There are bargains to be had Colin but you need to keep an eye on the 2nd hand forums. Although they tend to lose value more than non FAC air supply no so many are made/ bought so they dont come up as often and most stuff is based on high end like Daystates so the price tends to be £500-600 range.

Rapids are good solid guns but and its a big but a lot of them have been "tinkered with" and unless you have had a good look over them / know the buyer you can end up having to get work done on them after the event.

Depending on budget I would keep an eye out for a 2nd hand Daystate or FX something like an Air Ranger or Royal.

Has he had a play with FAC air as I have a .22 Daystate Merlyn and a .25 FX Bobcat running at 24ft/lb and 48 ft /lb respectively which he could have a try out on if it would help to see the capabilities?

Cheers Neil

hello, having done some research when i was thinking to get FAC ticket either air rifle or rimfire, had i gone for the air rifle i would have bought a good condition used .22 BSA R12 doing 28lbs, and 6.8llb in weight as looking at others most over 7/7.5 llb. some do not like bsa but my mk 1 sub 12 was excellent and reliable

Plenty of Rapids have been uprated/butchered to FAC without using the correct parts so unless you can verify the rifle is a factory spec FAC or properly converted then you could spend a lot to rectify the problems.

Best bet is to go for a factory spec FAC or at least a gun that was originally designed to be FAC and then tuned down for the UK market, many older guns such as FX2000 and the variants off are simple designs that most can work on and can be picked up cheaply.

Don't be tempted to go for something obscure even if it is cheap unless you can work on it and have the ability to make parts!

a mate of mine has just got a slot for an fac air its for shooting rabbit's in his garden, feo said no to lr but yes to fac air, so as i am not really a air rifle man what would you recommend as the best fac air to get i know .22 will be best calibre running somewhere near 30 ft lb and that rapid's are good gun's but are they still making them? or would he be better off buying something else,

colin

Yep, up to around 30ft lb and .22 would be my suggestion, very useful!

The Rapids are still classics if you can find one, but I doubt there are any new ones still on RFD shelves, so used most likely.

The HW 100 are heavy/expensive and the BSA R10 get mixed reviews, but my experience with the BSA suggests they are ok. AA410/510 probably get my vote, and the 410 if you can get one. Daystate owners will probably have something to say about that! :lol:

:good:

Morning,

I have used three in my time, the S410 FAC, the Daystate Mk3 .177 FAC and I currently own the Daystate Airwolf .22 FAC, they were all very good, the S410 had a slightly larger buddy bottle and was fixed at around 30 ish Ft lbs and I could get 20 - 30 shots before I felt I needed a fill, the .177 was a beast, she ran at 17 ft lbs and was a serious bit of kit, shot count was low 20 max as she used so much air to get the tiny little pellet to 17 ft lbs.

I went to the Airwolf as she has the biggest buddy bottle and loads of shots before a fill and also she is adjustable so I could run her from 12 - 40 ft lbs depending where I was, I use a mill dot scope so you just need to know the drop points at each setting.

Depends on your budget really but I went for the digital daystate as the pressure consistency per shot was spot on and she has a built in crono and I like toys,,,

Selling it now as I have lost the permission I was shooting it on and just use the 17HMR now on open ground. but again, budget, where are you shooting (open ground, buildings etc) and what you like to shoot is the main thing.

hello, having done some research when i was thinking to get FAC ticket either air rifle or rimfire, had i gone for the air rifle i would have bought a good condition used .22 BSA R12 doing 28lbs, and 6.8llb in weight as looking at others most over 7/7.5 llb. some do not like bsa but my mk 1 sub 12 was excellent and reliable

sorry should have been BSA R10

if money is not a problem then the daystate airwolf mct running at 40ftlb is superb

he does like nice things under his car port he had his and hers top end Range Rovers his Aston Martin and the Audi R8 he brought for his wife surprise 50th birthday pressie so i am assuming that would be right up his street, he has asked me to find what's best (hence me asking ) phone shop and order it all in then let him know so he can pop in and pay for it lol must be a hard life being a business man lol

colin

he does like nice things under his car port he had his and hers top end Range Rovers his Aston Martin and the Audi R8 he brought for his wife surprise 50th birthday pressie so i am assuming that would be right up his street, he has asked me to find what's best (hence me asking ) phone shop and order it all in then let him know so he can pop in and pay for it lol must be a hard life being a business man lol

colin

its is,,, but even harder being a successful one :lol::lol: :lol: :good:

I have a . 30 FX Bobcat and you can get 48 shots @85 fpe with a 50 grain pellet, and at 50 yards it will go through the same hole it's a very good Air rifle. I also have a .20 Mk2 Rapid which runs @ 28 Fpe with 14.3 grain pellet, i am getting over 100 full power shots from a 500cc BB Rapids are very easy to work on if you understand how they work, and there are some great bargains out there, there is a large following for the Rapid so any info on what to look for or avoid can be found on the R7oc forum.

i have tried a lot of Air rifles, but i would not part with any of my Rapids, lets face as soon as the 10 year patent was up everybody on the planet copied it.

Kev1gun

The shopping list I would be looking at would be:

Daystate: Air-Ranger, Air Wolf, Wolverine c-type pr Huntsman classic (new or second hand)

BSA: S10 / R10 (Would only consider second hand and send it to: John Bowkett, XTX, Ratworks to be sorted)

HW100S and get a A&M cylinder

FX: Royal, Boss or T12

Am not an air arms fan and find there blueing and finishing to be poor IMO.

I would also avoid Rapids as so many are so messed with its just not worth it with so many other options out there

I also wouldnt go over 30ftlb and would look to use 16gn pellets.

ATB

Matt

thanks all i phoned shop with a few of the options you all said they also mentioned AA510 fac carbine they have a couple of the makes mentioned but none fac in so he going in to pick what one he going to put a nv add on for night time so told him to get a hawke vantage as it has sf and i know they have them in stock will let you know what he gets

colin