Help Catipult?

HunterFarmer

Depends on your preference, i use a dankung with chinese tube set and 40cal lead balls from fishing weight mould for hunting and 10mm or 12mm ball bearings for practice.

I can hit a tin can repeatedly at 20 to 25 yards, but have to practice to maintain this.

well wouldn't I need a licience for it?

Depends where you live, if anywhere North of Hadrian's Wall then you will need a license, if below the wall and the air rifle you are buying is sub 12 pounds (that is ft lb power not weight) then as long as you are not prohibited from owning any guns then yes you can have an air rifle!

Depends on your preference, i use a dankung with chinese tube set and 40cal lead balls from fishing weight mould for hunting and 10mm or 12mm ball bearings for practice.

I can hit a tin can repeatedly at 20 to 25 yards, but have to practice to maintain this.

Thanks I might get one!

Depends where you live, if anywhere North of Hadrian's Wall then you will need a license, if below the wall and the air rifle you are buying is sub 12 pounds (that is ft lb power not weight) then as long as you are not prohibited from owning any guns then yes you can have an air rifle!

Hadrian's wall is a nice bit south of the Scottish border.

Thanks but I'm in Ireland

My reference was to the quoted section.

I presume you are in the Republic and not Northern Ireland. You may want to contact your local force firearms team as the laws over here will be different to Irish law regarding fireams and airguns as are Northern Irelands laws.

Kill crows and magpies with a catapult!??? Its hard enough with gunpowder behind the projectile never mind rubber.

+1. Hard just to get in range with an air rifle without them seeing you unless shooting from concealed static position. The motion of pulling back the elastic and raising it up would most likely spook them. You'll end up getting demoralised pretty quick.

+1. Hard just to get in range with an air rifle without them seeing you unless shooting from concealed static position. The motion of pulling back the elastic and raising it up would most likely spook them. You'll end up getting demoralised pretty quick.

Thanks but the don't seem to care that I'm standing beside them!

If you're in Northern Ireland, it's illegal to use a catapult:

This is from the The Wildlife (Northern Ireland) Order 1985:

Prohibition of certain methods of killing or taking wild animals
12.—(1) Subject to the provisions of this Part, if any person—
(a)sets in position [F1or otherwise uses] any self-locking snare which is of such a nature and so placed as to be calculated to cause bodily injury to any wild animal coming into contact therewith;
[F2(aa)sets in position or otherwise uses any other type of snare which is either of such a nature or so placed (or both) as to be calculated to cause unnecessary suffering to any wild animal coming into contact with it;]
(b)uses for the purpose of killing or taking any wild animal. . . any missile which is not discharged from a firearm, including in particular any arrow or spear, or any explosive other than ammunition for a firearm; or
©uses as a decoy, for the purpose of killing or taking any wild animal, any sound recording or any live mammal or bird whatever,
he shall be guilty of an offence.
Catapults aren't listed as firearms, so you are allowed to use them without a license, but NOT to kill anything.

As soon as you show up with anything that can kill them, they will vanish!

The magpies and rooks round here are as relaxed as anything, until they see me with a gun, then they just vamoose, sniggering

As soon as you show up with anything that can kill them, they will vanish!

The magpies and rooks round here are as relaxed as anything, until they see me with a gun, then they just vamoose, sniggering

Same here cliff top walk carrion crows let you get within 10 yards, out on shooting ground its 100 yards.

Blackpowder