Fox club

WelshMike

Some more great work. I am not having a lot of luck calling, and as Shooting egg lamp is making it worse even on fields i have not been on. I can see some mousing about but close to the field edge making the shots tricky. I could bait them I guess and just wait with the NV but patience is limited. :)

Yeah, i called in total darkness last night, then scanned field and all three bolted at the light. Hopefully i have an nv spotter arriving in post today. Then use that and nv add on for scope

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well done gents :good:

Went out to the chicken farm and spotted a nice pair of foxy eyes in one of the fields. Little swine was curled up in the field having a nap...head up every now and again. Only issue was the lane in between me and the fox and no easy way to get into the field. Quick squeak to see what its reaction was....jumped up and legged it....oh well....

At least I know not to bother trying to call this one in :lol::lol:

Large cub had as last light on Tuesday at about 100yds with a .223.

Only had my FAC since April but I have had all my foxes, so far, near last light waiting up in likely areas.

Interesting reading about NV and lamp used in combination, something I must look at getting!

Well done mate :good: and welcome to Fox club. Lots of good guys on here and a lot of pee taking...often at my expense as I am special :lol::lol:

The best advice is to stick to what works for you. All the best kit is great but expensive and not necessary in a lot of cases. There are a good few on here who use lamp and rifle very well together and a few of the richer members such as Racing Snake who have all the gear (NV and thermal) and make the best use of it by killing most of the foxes in North Wales :lol::lol:

I got my NV about 3 years ago and love it. It makes a real difference to me then again as I am a little slow on the uptake I used to struggle with lamping :lol: I use a lamp to spot the tell tale eye shine then over to the NV for confirmation and taking the shot...or missing the shot or watching them run off etc etc :lol::lol::lol:

A couple of hours back on the stubble tonight. Time was a bit short last time I was there so thought there might still be some about. Got set up in the top of the field and had a big dog come charging into distressed cub on the caller - number 1 down. Quiet for the next hour but in between scans with the thermal I heard the 'tick tick' of feet running on the stubble. Back on the thermal and there's a vixen running in to snowshoe. She stopped about 50 yards away long enough to put her down. Reckon there still may be a cub or two about....not really sure. Will have to have another couple of hours up there next week sometime. 30 for the month so off to a good start. Visited most of my permissions over August, so reckon numbers should start to drop now. Sorry about the **** pic, only had my phone on me tonight.

36094339314_16b63df85e_c.jpg

Nice one buddy :good: ...30 for the month is brilliant and well deserved for all the time and effort you put in, keep up the good work.

Yesterday saw me arriving at the ground an hour before dark , I quickly got set up next to a gorse banking . FoxPro on post with cubs call playing , I checked bank for any signs , looked back at caller and there was a fox stood a few yards behind it , less than 2 mins into call :yes:

kYpoDEI.jpg

Then it was out with the lamp to see what I could find , the night was very still with a 3/4 moon so place seemed quiet. I spotted a fox down in some rushes , so crept into position and gave it some lip squeaks which had it come cantering in nice but I had to pick my spot carefully to shoot due to the rushes .....worked a treat :)

jjqQixp.jpg

Over the road to the next field I was going to call in but a huge bull looked menacing so I went to the bottom end of the field and lay just inside the gate in case I needed a sharp exit :lol::lol:

Put the cub call on and had another coming in within minutes ....had to choose spot to shoot again as kept getting a scope full of vegetation but patience paid off :yes:

xfFa1UB.jpg

Last call of the night had another fox coming in but it wouldn't enter the field and stayed in the next field with a fence and white grass in the way so no shot on :no:

That was Fox number 50 for this year ...

Edited by FOXHUNTER1

Yesterday saw me arriving at the ground an hour before dark , I quickly got set up next to a gorse banking . FoxPro on post with cubs call playing , I checked bank for any signs , looked back at caller and there was a fox stood a few yards behind it , less than 2 mins into call :yes:

kYpoDEI.jpg

Then it was out with the lamp to see what I could find , the night was very still with a 3/4 moon so place seemed quiet. I spotted a fox down in some rushes , so crept into position and gave it some lip squeaks which had it come cantering in nice but I had to pick my spot carefully to shoot due to the rushes .....worked a treat :)

jjqQixp.jpg

Over the road to the next field I was going to call in but a huge bull looked menacing so I went to the bottom end of the field and lay just inside the gate in case I needed a sharp exit :lol::lol:

Put the cub call on and had another coming in within minutes ....had to choose spot to shoot again as kept getting a scope full of vegetation but patience paid off :yes:

xfFa1UB.jpg

Last call of the night had another fox coming in but it wouldn't enter the field and stayed in the next field with a fence and white grass in the way so no shot on :no:

top shooting mark. off out later to have a go

kYpoDEI.jpg

jjqQixp.jpg

xfFa1UB.jpg

That was Fox number 50 for this year ...

What no shotgun this year ;) good outing :good:

Fox down finally! Good sized dog fox. Heard something behind me having just arrived and got down the path to the field, saw a pair of eyes at about 150 so squeeked and in he came. Stopped him at about 80 and a nice clean shot in the boiler room off sticks. Jobs a goodun

Edit-il get picks on when I'm home

Edited by Hendrix's rifle

Here he is. So after posting it I took the tail off for the landowner, put him out of sight and started heading home. About 300 yards from the car I checked to see if the tail was still on my bag. No, it's gone. Back down the track and found it at the bottom. Up the path in to the farm yard and there a very tall but thin fox with mange in the cow sheds, lifted rifle to decide I couldn't shoot it where it is so tried getting to the other side to call it out. He wouldn't play ball and legged it. Unfortunately the landowner had 3 dogs who stay out at night so I text him to let him know. One of them is a jack Russell who is now getting on but still makes her way down badger setts if you take your eyes off her! Little pain. I'd be out tonight but up early in the morning for my dsc1! Seen a few nice stags up this way and some impressive head (that the Mrs wants on the wall) will try and get a pic up of them. Il get him next week ?

post-76155-0-90609800-1504343587_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hendrix's rifle

Thought about it mate but didn't have much time , would have been a carbon copy of last year :good:

How's your season going ?

Spent 3 hrs last week watching between 3-6 foxes feeding on a dead Ewe...over the border :oops: had 3 of them in 4mins a few days earlier when 1 of our fields finally got cut :yahoo: but still work to be done.

Spen tonight so hopefull as took 3cubs and the Dog few weeks back,Vixen called the last 1 in but we stopped it on the edge of the wood and it got no further :whistling:

42 so far so only 8 more for my target....you'll have to get your finger out for yours though :lol:

finally got out to do some foxing last night as ive been hitting bunnies hard to fur fill orders( rabbit seams to be in demand these days ) but ive saw few foxes about on the land so knew they were there but with so much stubbles to cover knew it was going to be sit up and call job ,so after putting some of my odour de fox out i set the caller away with a gentle soothing lullaby of fox cubs after 10 minutes caught the tell tale eyes but heading up a hedge which was unshootable then gone ,but i persevered and hit it with a chart topping number gekering within 5 mins it returned and ventured towards the caller sitting facing it at 120 yards sniffing the air before the 55 grain bt found its mark was a nice vixen in excellent condition. saw another fox but it was unshootable but will save that for monday night .now the stubbles are been ploughed in

post-2392-0-65112500-1504438220_thumb.jpg

post-2392-0-95651100-1504438245_thumb.jpg

Edited by remmy1100

Good to catch up with all of the action. We looked t loads of likely places on fri and did not see much till the last field, where 4 foxes vanished the moment the light hit. :unhappy:

Sat in the fox box last night to give my new Ward NV a test. No foxes but the sheep would have kept Mike amused :lol:

Two more tonight.

A nice sized dog and Vixen.

Both off same farm , but opposite ends :)

Dog at 120 head shot , the vixen 80 front on

Well done buddy, nicely done

Good to catch up with all of the action. We looked t loads of likely places on fri and did not see much till the last field, where 4 foxes vanished the moment the light hit. :unhappy:

Sat in the fox box last night to give my new Ward NV a test. No foxes but the sheep would have kept Mike amused :lol:

:lol::lol: Cheers Grant :lol::lol: The only issue is that I would have had to get out of the fox box for a bit of fun :lol:

How is the NV?

i guys good work not left just been busy had 3 fox in last month will put some pics when get chance keep up the good work simply lovely

Life doesnt half get in the way of shooting. Well done on the 3 :good:

How is the NV?

I am quite impressed with it. Range about 400m I would guess for spotting and +200 for shooting. Fitting to the scope not the easiest, i have to use card packing as the shims are either too loose or too tight.

The picture quality is excellent and it is relatively light even with the mega size IR.

I am quite impressed with it. Range about 400m I would guess for spotting and +200 for shooting. Fitting to the scope not the easiest, i have to use card packing as the shims are either too loose or too tight.

The picture quality is excellent and it is relatively light even with the mega size IR.

Hope you have some good results with it mate :good: