Fox club

WelshMike

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All of my shooting trips (well ..trips really) of late have involved me spending hours watching chickens sat it the dark waiting for a fox I havent seen....sound familiar? :lol::lol:

I had established through multiple trips at differing times that the offender was not about until after 3 a.m (yes I do need to get a trail cam just no funds and to many things to set it off all of the time).

Up at 2.15 this morning and out for about 2.45. Set up the camping chair with a good view and then checked to see what was sat out waiting to be eaten....virtually nothing for a change. Watched for an hour then caught a faint sound of squabbling that I thought was a fox from the top of one of the woods a few hundred meters away.

Headed off with the NV spotter and kit as I didnt want to spook anything. Watched for a little bit and was alerted to a rabbit making a dash from one spot. Mr fox was there. Nice 150 yard shot...only issue was that I had taken the .17 hmr as my .243 is currently unmoderated and I cant use it next to the yard as it will cause a chicken shock wave in the sheds. With the foxes position and the NV on the rifle 150 yards was too far to take the shot. A bit of careful sneaking got me to a shootable range. First shot in the chest with a bit of a dash followed by a second shot in the bib and goodnight Mr fox. Nice chunky dog fox in lovely condition. 4.05 a.m, back to the truck to load some timber that was left out for me, off home, unload timber, coffee, breakfast, feed the bees then back to work....all good fun :lol::lol:

All of my shooting trips (well ..trips really) of late have involved me spending hours watching chickens sat it the dark waiting for a fox I havent seen....sound familiar? :lol::lol:

I had established through multiple trips at differing times that the offender was not about until after 3 a.m (yes I do need to get a trail cam just no funds and to many things to set it off all of the time).

Up at 2.15 this morning and out for about 2.45. Set up the camping chair with a good view and then checked to see what was sat out waiting to be eaten....virtually nothing for a change. Watched for an hour then caught a faint sound of squabbling that I thought was a fox from the top of one of the woods a few hundred meters away.

Headed off with the NV spotter and kit as I didnt want to spook anything. Watched for a little bit and was alerted to a rabbit making a dash from one spot. Mr fox was there. Nice 150 yard shot...only issue was that I had taken the .17 hmr as my .243 is currently unmoderated and I cant use it next to the yard as it will cause a chicken shock wave in the sheds. With the foxes position and the NV on the rifle 150 yards was too far to take the shot. A bit of careful sneaking got me to a shootable range. First shot in the chest with a bit of a dash followed by a second shot in the bib and goodnight Mr fox. Nice chunky dog fox in lovely condition. 4.05 a.m, back to the truck to load some timber that was left out for me, off home, unload timber, coffee, breakfast, feed the bees then back to work....all good fun :lol::lol:

Well done mate. Great little round when kept to its limits. We have been shooting more with 17s than cf at the moment. All golf courses so have to be a bi subtle. Hope you unpacked special bag safely?

Went and had a look round with the lamp last night as it was a nice dark windy night. Farmer said he had heard some foxes calling over the past few days so focused on the areas he had heard them.

First fox was picked up at range but couldn't call her in and she disappeared into some scrub. I continued calling and she re-appeared on my right in the bottom of a hedge adjoining the scrub. I got on the sticks and squeaked her closer but ended up having to shout to stop her as she was racing at me like she was going to attack! Shot her at about 40 yards, nice sized vixen that i would assume would have been an early cub by the way it ran at the lamp.

post-80806-0-16847100-1507891646_thumb.jpg

Second one was picked up at range in the bottom of a hedge. squeaked her out and she traversed across my front until she stopped for a good sniff and I dropped her at about 80 yards. Another good sized vixen.

post-80806-0-30201400-1507891660_thumb.jpg

Saw another on the same field but just couldn't get him close enough and eventually he exited stage right.

Well done Mike ...that's dedication for ya :good:

Cheers Mark

Well done mate. Great little round when kept to its limits. We have been shooting more with 17s than cf at the moment. All golf courses so have to be a bi subtle. Hope you unpacked special bag safely?

Thanks Ed. Unfortunately the special man bag had to be given to the charity shop as I cant justify such lavish items anymore :lol::lol::lol: We are having to move most of the stuff out of the house as we have some shot blasting being done in a couple of weeks followed by a full scale woodworm treatment (once all of the carpets and ply sheeting on top of the floorboards is removed). The joys of older houses.

Went and had a look round with the lamp last night as it was a nice dark windy night. Farmer said he had heard some foxes calling over the past few days so focused on the areas he had heard them.

First fox was picked up at range but couldn't call her in and she disappeared into some scrub. I continued calling and she re-appeared on my right in the bottom of a hedge adjoining the scrub. I got on the sticks and squeaked her closer but ended up having to shout to stop her as she was racing at me like she was going to attack! Shot her at about 40 yards, nice sized vixen that i would assume would have been an early cub by the way it ran at the lamp.

attachicon.gifIMG_2623.JPG

Second one was picked up at range in the bottom of a hedge. squeaked her out and she traversed across my front until she stopped for a good sniff and I dropped her at about 80 yards. Another good sized vixen.

attachicon.gifIMG_2624.JPG

Saw another on the same field but just couldn't get him close enough and eventually he exited stage right.

Well done mate. It gets the heart rate going when they come charging in. Keep up the good work :good:

Another couple from last night,post-2987-0-16280400-1507911352_thumb.jpg

1st vixen (top)appeared just as I got out of the truck, just under 100yds. The next came out of a wood to my right, going into a call but the wind had changed in 1/2 an hour pushing our scent along the wood towards the fox. It had caught scent of us and wasn't hanging around. It stopped momentarily out into the field just yards from the boundary ditch. 5 seconds was enough, 270yds and a 53 vmax dropped it on the spot.

Reasonably happy keeper, I sent him in the wrong field this morning to pick them up. Lol they shouldn't rotate blooming crops around.

Nice work gents! Top effort on getting that troublesome one Mike. Was really admiring the dedication to the cause until I read 'chair''. :lol:

Been a bit quiet for me lately. Have left the big hill alone for a couple of weeks and concentrated on checking other permissions which have been a bit neglected as I've been trying to get the numbers down on the hill. Good to see that there's still not much about on them though. No foxes seen on any of the others I visited, so last night it was back on the hill.

Parked up in the yard and did my usual check around the farm before heading upwards. Walked across to the track that has a couple of fields either side of it, quick scan in the first - nothing, then the second - nothing immediately obvious, then caught sight of a smallish heat signature just on the top of the brow. Wasn't convinced it was definitely a fox but got the gun on the gate and confirmed with the Drone, it was a fox, but only the top of its head was visible over the brow of the hill, so no safe shot. Waited it out for a few minutes and was happy to see it come over the brow and start down the slope. Waited for the backstop to be good and safe then dropped her at 100 yards.

37708453261_2b37f983e5_c.jpg

Took a walk up the hill after that. A pleasant evening made the walk very enjoyable. Made my way up and had a sit for an hour or so looking down over a large section of the permission. No foxes seen so headed back down to the yard for another check before heading home. Back to the track again - checked the first field - a fox not 50 yards away stalking something in the grass. The wind had got up a bit now so think that helped mask my approach. Got the gun on the gate for a shot that was as easy as they get. Lovely dog fox and number 2 for the night.

23855125998_a3c1d549b6_c.jpg

Edited by racing snake

Good going RS :good:

I had a great night last night. I was beating yesterday on our shoot when the keeper mentioned he saw a fox that morning at 7am in the back field .

So after beating all day and having a kip I decided I must have a try for said fox. I arrived at 10.30pm and had a vixen shot within 2 mins which came in lovely to the young rabbit distress call :yes:

I continued calling and another fox showed up about 5 mins later , this one was a bit cagey and decided to sit in the hedge , I couldn't get a clear shot but after a bit of coaxing it presented itself , a decent sized dog fox :yes:

MqFpCmH.jpg

As the night was going well , 2 in 20 mins I headed off for another spot. Called on the edge of a wood and pulled out another dog fox using the cub call :)

w2MAJM8.jpg

I then was driving home and passed another one of my perms so decided seeing as I was on a roll I would give it a go as I have a bait station going here.

Once again the cub call pulled in another dog fox within 5 mins but he hung up at around 200 yds as the wind was blowing in his direction.

I placed the crosshair on the top of his shoulder and over he went :)

A great night with 4 mopped up :yahoo:

bD95cNi.jpg

Edited by FOXHUNTER1

Good shooting boys,here's a couple I had back in August

The farmer had just done some silaging and the bales were still in the field and were an ideal rifle rest

First fox was Dog fox and I only had to wait another 15mins for the 2nd which was a vixen

My springer made sure the dog fox wasn't running away

post-21630-0-16139500-1508085968_thumb.jpg

post-21630-0-79205900-1508085985_thumb.jpg

Had this Dog fox Friday night He was mooching around in the same field as the 2 foxes in above photo

A few squeaks and he started going in the opposite direction a few more squeaks which encouraged him and he came in slowly stopping at a tree for a sniff nice easy shot at 40yds

post-21630-0-31058000-1508087518_thumb.jpg

I managed to get a lovely view of a fox at the chicken farm on Tuesday night, 70 yards with cross hair perfectly placed...but no backstop and the wind on the wrong direction.

Despite the fog I decided to head out at 7 last night just as it was dark. The pop holes on the sheds were just closing as I drove up. Parked the truck and walked about 20 meters, quick shine of the lamp and picked up some nice eye shine. Over to the NV and spotted the fox heading for one of the woods at about the 170 yard mark. This was the point that i realised I hadnt test fired the .243 without the moderator before...oh well to late. Ear defenders were on, bullet away.....one heck of a boom and one fox on its backside :good:

The approach to where the fox is pretty steep so I went up across the rest of the ground where it is a more gentle climb. Got near where the fox was and spotted some more bright eye shine. Rifle on the sticks and a fox sat in some bushes behind a fence about 40 yards away. The first thought was that I had injured the fox and it was making off so despite some bushes and a fence I let a round go, the fox ran on and stopped clear and I put another round in the side of its chest.

After a little bit of searching I found fox no 1 which was a nice vixen, stone dead where I had shot her and the second fox which was a good sized dog. The first round had clipped the wire and hit the fox in the bib but not killed it instantly, the second shot was through the side of the chest and finished off the job. Given shot no 2 was about 3 seconds after the first the fox wouldnt have known much about it.

Off home at 8.05 p.m so a good hours work. Time will tell if one of these was the culprit but thats 2 less to cause problems.

Im just about to start going out looking for foxes. I have n icotec 350 and was wondering if any of you fine foxers could direct me too some good uk downloadable calls.

I will be going out lamping and wanted to try some daytime foxing as well. Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Im just about to start going out looking for foxes. I have n icotec 350 and was wondering if any of you fine foxers could direct me too some good uk downloadable calls.

I will be going out lamping and wanted to try some daytime foxing as well. Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

get down wind in cover try your distress calls at a reasonably low volume for short periods. in a month you will be able to use mating calls but dont expect the same results as you get from the distress calls. they will be interested but probably wont quite commit the same. you dont not need a zillion candle power lamp just a light to pick up a fox at sensible distance without lighting up every other creature in the county. keep ranges sensible and dont over call an area. just because you dont see them does not mean they are not there. bait stations are probably a good option now that temp is dropping and food supply are slowing up.

bizzarely enough you can still shoot foxes without nv well some can :lol: no matter what people tell you. but i have to admit it probably is a game changer.

get out and have a go but most importantly shoot safe. :good:

most importantly i completely forgot you DO NOT NEED A HANDBAG :no:

get posting on here

Edited by bumpy22

Flyeruk,

Sent pm re calls. Don't whatever you do start getting into NV gear, you will end up spending a fortune on ammo. Lol

As bumpy says don't go silly with the lamp, nowadays a pocket size torch is brilliant (oops) and a pig tail switch,far more user friendly than the Lightforce 170s and a lead acid battery weighing a few pounds in a bag over your shoulder or banging over you gluteus maximus on a belt strap.

Read the wind, look out for the signs, straight track coming out of hedge bottoms (either fox or badger) they are creatures of habbit and that is quite often their demise. Very similar paths and time used, generally with 15 minutes either way.

Flyeruk,

Rifle, reasonable attachable lamp but, as Dougy says, don't go overboard on the price, piece of polystyrene and the truck windscreen or a Foxwam whistle which costs about a tenner. (Or make your own from a couple of cartridge bases or squeak off the back of your hand). You are then in business.

You can pay out a fortune on all the modern gizmos but it isn't necessary to shoot a few foxes.

The above is all we had for years and years. It worked.

I was very lucky the other night , called this vixen in with cub call but she caught my wind and heading back to the wood. Unfortunately for her she stopped for a look back , I was just squeezing off when the rifle discharged before I was ready :yes:

Obviously thought I had missed but had a nice surprise when I did the customary check , I had creased the top of its head :yes:

EjG7CfR.jpg

One unlucky girl :yes:

YarM2Qp.jpg