Fox club

WelshMike

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Fair play boys you have all been busy well done.

Grant and Ed- well done gents, what a cracking night that was.

Mark- numpty :lol:

Dougy- glad to see you out and about now the crops are off.

Racing snake- nowt needs saying with you bud, fantastic work as always.

Now for me.....doing next to zero shooting at the moment as we have been getting ready to move. 15 or so van loads and we are nearly done having completed yesterday. One of the trips last night I was met with a nice fox crossing over the lane on one of the fields so I may get to shoot a fox on my own ground sometime soon. Before Ed starts on about me being posh and needing servants the place is not massive, needs loads of work and is mostly owned by the bank.....keep up the good work and hope to make a positive contribution at some point soon :good:

Now for me.....doing next to zero shooting at the moment as we have been getting ready to move. 15 or so van loads and we are nearly done having completed yesterday. One of the trips last night I was met with a nice fox crossing over the lane on one of the fields so I may get to shoot a fox on my own ground sometime soon. Before Ed starts on about me being posh and needing servants the place is not massive, needs loads of work and is mostly owned by the bank.....keep up the good work and hope to make a positive contribution at some point soon :good:

Fu##ing lord of the manor owns the bank :-)

Good to hear it's all progressing well Mike, and good to hear from you. :good:

Good to hear it's all progressing well Mike, and good to hear from you. :good:

Cheers bud. Father in law is up this weekend so may take him for an outing with the lamp. As he is in his 70s and not as fit as he used to be the amount of walking is limited. Given how wet the ground is that somewhat limits where we can go but worth a look. Give it another 6-8 weeks and I will have to pull my finger up and start on the winter offensive prior to lambing. Take care

Nice one Dougy.

Been a bit of a quiet week for me. Managed to get out to a small permission midweek that needed checking (hadn't been there for a while). A couple of hours out confirmed there nothing much to worry about there yet. Had a call off another permission on Wednesday asking if I'd have a look at one of the sheds as he's seen a few rats about. Thought I'd kill 2 birds with one stone - have a couple of hours after the rats then get onto the land for a quick scoot to see if any foxes had moved back in (been clear for a while now). Ratting went OK but there weren't the numbers he was worried about, saw about 20 and shot 15 (a few in pic). After a couple of hours I swapped guns over and went for a walk up on the land. Came over a small rise and saw something near a gorse bank about 100 yards away, got onto the gun and could see it was a hare, so left it be. Carried on sitting where I was as there was a good view up the hill, just to see if I can spot anything far off. Nothing doing up on the hill, was just about to move on when a fox crosses in front of me about 70-80 yards away. He had no idea I was there, he must have come up from the gorse bank over to my right. Gave him a quick squeak to stop him and down he goes. Walking back down to the vehicle, close to where the rats where and I spot a rat near the stream that borders the sheds. Temptation was too much and spent £1;20 vapourising said rat with the .223. :lol:

New permission to go and visit tomorrow, foxes have been seen on it, but with maize still to be cut and a pretty wretched forecast tomorrow night I'm not sure when I'll get up there.

37350838332_239e4535c2_c.jpg

37350850092_594d4ecb80_c.jpg

Edited by racing snake

Nice one RS. Haven't been out all week either as weather has been poor , but last night was OK apart from the bright moon.

I went back to the farm where I missed the one last week as it is all stubble now. I spotted this fella at the bottom of a field , no calling , got laid down , lit him up and he dropped on the spot with a nice lung shot at 150 yds :)

N7QM7a4.jpg

Saw the fox I missed last week in same place but obviously it didn't hang about :lol::lol:

I tried another spot with the FoxPro , screaming rabbit playing and a set of eyes starts crossing the field followed by another set :) it was only 2 roe though :/

I sweeped round and another set of eyes bouncing in , again a young roebuck :/

So that was 3 roe called in and no fox :lol::lol: :lol: by now I was knackered so time for bed....................

Nice one RS. Haven't been out all week either as weather has been poor , but last night was OK apart from the bright moon.

I went back to the farm where I missed the one last week as it is all stubble now. I spotted this fella at the bottom of a field , no calling , got laid down , lit him up and he dropped on the spot with a nice lung shot at 150 yds :)

N7QM7a4.jpg

Saw the fox I missed last week in same place but obviously it didn't hang about :lol::lol:

I tried another spot with the FoxPro , screaming rabbit playing and a set of eyes starts crossing the field followed by another set :) it was only 2 roe though :/

I sweeped round and another set of eyes bouncing in , again a young roebuck :/

So that was 3 roe called in and no fox :lol::lol: :lol: by now I was knackered so time for bed....................

Well done shorty..better result than I had last night - got to where I was going,took my new thermal out of the case and had only forgotten to put the battery in.Other Thermal charges with the battery in...DOH!

Once home I put my feet up with a beer and watched TV.

I've had a very quiet 4 to 5 weeks with no fox problems and suddenly foxes start turning up everywhere. Got a vixen Wednesday night at 12.45 sat out from 10 till 3.50am Thursday only for the fox to come later. Gave it a miss last night and dead ducks in two different fields this morning. So tonight iam out around 10 till light if needs be.

Well done shorty..better result than I had last night - got to where I was going,took my new thermal out of the case and had only forgotten to put the battery in.Other Thermal charges with the battery in...DOH!

Once home I put my feet up with a beer and watched TV.

Which new thermal have you got ? Did you not just stay out with the NV ?

I took the HMR out again last night .....never saw any foxes , didn't expect to with bright moon and no wind but still managed 23 bunnies.....

It happens to us all RS .....come on spill the beans :shoot:

:lol: True enough Mark. I've been on a role for a while now, it was just one of those "***" moments.

I'd been sat on top of a steep part of the hill, without running the caller, for about an hour. I saw a fox come out of the wood about 600 yards away, went back in, came out about 20 minutes later, and it started to make its way down onto the valley floor. Was way too far off so I just watched him in the thermal, he got to the bottom of the valley and turned away from my direction, so was heading further way. I had seen a fox cross a footbridge further up the valley perviously and come back down the other bank, so I picked the gear up, made my way down the hill just in the slim chance he comes back down the other side. Got comfy about 100 yards from the other bank, and waited to see if he reappears. After about 10 minutes or so he does, but not on the other side, still on my side - heading straight towards me! Powered the scope up and tracked him as he came to the closest point of contact, about 80 yards, gave him a squeak to stop him, got him in the crosshairs and let one go. Was 100% he was gonner but he just bolted back up the hill, completely untouched! My only defence was when he stopped for the shot he did turn face-on, so a smaller target, but still.... I think the zero's probably OK because, well it just always is. Out again tonight at another permission so hopefully can confirm zero's ok (I'm sure it is), and can just put it down to....sometimes **** happens. :lol:

Edited by racing snake

Which new thermal have you got ? Did you not just stay out with the NV ?

I took the HMR out again last night .....never saw any foxes , didn't expect to with bright moon and no wind but still managed 23 bunnies.....

Good result,shot a few with the .22 last week,you forget just how quiet and efficient they are.

Wanted to see a Fox through it as even though I shot 1 last week,Hodgy was using it and wouldn't give it back so I had to use the old 1lol.Went to same place last night and saw 2, 1 was sitting looking at me around 180yds.These are the ones over the border right in front of the farm and won't call.

Bought a Pulsar Helion XP38...really impressed with it,watching a Badger at near 500yds last week and could easily see what it was and not just a white lump.

Eager to get out for an hour or two tonight, if nothing else than to confirm zero on the rifle after missing that one last night. Wasn't planning on a late one with work tomorrow so dashed up to a local permission about 20 minutes away. Parked up and made my way up to a long sloping field at the top of the permission which has been a very productive spot for me in the past. Already visited this permission twice since starting back after my summer break - no litters on the land but one or two foxes starting to move into the vacant territory.

Wasn't planning on using the caller - really strong wind, but mainly because we're getting to the time of year where I'll only call if I don't see anything, as opposed to the other way round. I'll start off with the caller again when the vixens start calling. Got myself tucked into the hawthorn bush and sat and waited. Didn't have to wait long, soon spot a fox coming up from my left but it was heading towards the hedge. Got her in the scope, the wind was so strong that I had to give her 3 loud shots to eventually bring her to a stop, and when she does she's head-on to me again (same as last night's clanger). Got the crosshairs on her bib and squeezed ... relived to her the round hit home (dead centre), confirming that last night's miss was all down to me! :lol:

37181230820_d6b0cdf5aa_c.jpg

Nice one RS. We had a trip out last wednesday. Saw lots of badgers and managed to bag a couple of fox at under a 100m. Had several come in nicely but run when the light went on. Still working on the nv (ward) but the thermal is working a treat.

Out on friday night till 0130 and never saw anything for a shot over four different farms. :unhappy:IMG_20170927_WA0002_1.jpg

IMG_20170927_WA0001_1.jpg

Cheers Mark, yes agree, just been on such a roll lately, last night's was as easy as they get. Still don't know ow I missed it. Reckon its got a hole in its ear though. :lol:

Nice work Grant. Must be really annoying getting them in on thermal and them bolting when you're putting the lamp on to shoot. You'll be sorted once the Ward's up and running. :good: Are you having some setup hassles with it?

Edited by racing snake

A few teething issue's for sure.

Its been good on a few foxes and rabbits but then some got away :unhappy: Had a few issues with mine losing zero? Not sure why but it now seems ok although the NV 67mm black sun from ward is very heavy and i was wondering if its effecting the scope.

Bumpy is still working on getting clarity of image, but his has only been out once. Old habbit's die hard and its tempting to reach for the lamp. :)

We need to use them and build confidence in the kit.

Very nice , you won the Lottery :lol::lol:

I wish,back on 4 on 4 off...always buy new toys when my pay goes up ;) got a new FoxPro too,a Fusion but not too keen on it just yet as volume is lower than mine and it's a pain to program.Hence all my presets are too quiet as I set them at same levels as the FX5 and haven't got around to re-doing them.

I've finally got out and back in the fold.

Had a new permission to look round so had a stalk about and saw this fella coming across a field. He picked up a hedge line and I managed to get into a position to take him at 150 yards.

Saw another on the top of a bank with no backstop and another, possibly the same one, chasing a hare! It was so focused on its chase I couldn't stop it and lost it in a gulley.

post-80806-0-29353700-1507060305_thumb.jpeg

He was a right fat thing, must have had a good source of food!