Fox club

WelshMike

1 hour ago, WelshMike said:

Finally the weather behaved so out with the rifle. The first farm keep a few chickens and the fox has been helping itself and the farmer isnt best impressed. Headed over for about 9 and spotted a likely culprit heading for the chickens. No shot unfortunately and I made so much noise going through the mud there was no sign of it. I doubled back and headed across a couple of fields to catch some nice eye shine. Sticks deployed and NV on, quick squeak and in comes the fox. At about 80 yards I gave it another squeak to stop it and it charged at me like a fox possessed :lol: A loud oi had it running in the other direction but it stopped for a split second then turned just as I pulled the trigger and down it went. A nice vixen and No 1 for 2018 (finally)

5uqMlGC.jpg

Over to farm No 2 which is another flat farm about 300 acres in size. Parked the truck, into the first field and saw some tell tale eye shine. Onto the sticks and could see the fox making its way towards the gate. He stopped for a sniff and down he went at about 80 yards. Good sized dog fox. 

Another couple of hours and nothing else happening so off home. A good chilly night to be out and about...not one to be stood still for long though. 

ep2DQcH.jpg

well done mike. weather sounds bad by you. we just get on with it and dont moan:yahoo:

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I moan the weather is carp :unhappy:

Well done guys some good work. I had a night in and baited the tree. Only half watching and had to be up early as out stalking. Last look at 1030 and the little blighter has the bait in his mouth. Trotting off to the left and a quick bark stopped it but not long enough for a shot. This one is getting fat off all the bait it keeps taking :unhappy: Wife says it will be setting up home in the garden as its a safe zone with plenty of food :no:

22 minutes ago, bumpy22 said:

well done mike. weather sounds bad by you. we just get on with it and dont moan:yahoo:

I think you mean that you dont notice the weather as you cant see it through your scope.....tissue anyone :lol::lol:

I can put up with the cold...its the constant rain thats getting on my wick. Cant get out and every time we have heavy rain we end up with a flood in our bedroom and a load in the kitchen. Cant cap the chimney as its that bad that the top of the chimney would probably come down. Give it a couple more months and some scaffolding and it can come down in a controlled manner. Fun fun fun :yes:

10 minutes ago, oowee said:

I moan the weather is carp 

Well done guys some good work. I had a night in and baited the tree. Only half watching and had to be up early as out stalking. Last look at 1030 and the little blighter has the bait in his mouth. Trotting off to the left and a quick bark stopped it but not long enough for a shot. This one is getting fat off all the bait it keeps taking  Wife says it will be setting up home in the garden as its a safe zone with plenty of food 

Thanks for the support Grant :good: 

If your fox gets any fatter you should be able to shoot it on the trot (or waddle) :lol:

Any luck this morning? 

Saw plenty with the thermal b4 light. Then a couple in the woods either side of the high seat no clear shot :unhappy: then it started snowing. went to see farmer about a new shoot meeting properly next week could be a nice one. :good:

Out tonight :)

Edited by oowee

20180118_214129-800x600.jpg.88a4b3ac4487502ebff0dbf284ae42ae.jpgWas asked to sort out a fox that bad  cleared out a chicken shed, the farmers fault really for not shutting the doors,  but hey you can't say no can you. This 1 gave us the run around after I missed a silly close shot, it snuck up behind some silage bales at popped out just 50yrds in front of the truck. Too close to find quickly then missed over the top, (As you do when there so close) give me a 300 yard shot and it's nailed. Lol

Anyway we caught up with it a couple of field's later, the farm lad knew it's habits and saw the direction it ran. We pulled into a field and there it was trotting along the hedge, quick shout and it stopped to have a look back. 

20180118_215106-1-800x600.jpg.c71f72e51485fecd0ca0c385755ed038.jpg

This was drifting round a field over the hedge as we walked to pick up the 1st one, I gave it a squeak and it sat out around 160 yards. With nothing to rest on I had to get down and dirty in the mud. I didn't realise how dirty till I got back to the truck, I was caked in the Brown stuff and to add to the mess got a pocket full of muddy water.

But still we got the 2nd dog fox.

Edited by Dougy
Removed a word that was flagged as swearing. FAULT ?

4 hours ago, WelshMike said:

I think you mean that you dont notice the weather as you cant see it through your scope.....tissue anyone 

good reply :yes: nearly forgot the tissue incident :no: good job it had a happy ending:lol:

back on topic got a nice dog fox this afternoon while waiting for does. no venison but we are knocking down plenty of foxes this month. hopefully have some more with the main man tonight

32 minutes ago, Dougy said:

Was asked to sort out a fox that bad  cleared out a chicken shed, the frmers  really for not shutting the doors,  but hey you can't say no can you. This 1 gave us the run around after I missed a silly close shot, it snuck up behind some silage bales at popped out just 50yrds in front of the truck. Too close to find quickly then missed over the top, (As you do when there so close) give me a 300 yard shot and it's nailed. Lol

Anyway we caught up with it a couple of field's later, the farm lad knew it's habits and saw the direction it ran. We pulled into a field and there it was trotting along the hedge, quick shout and it stopped to have a look back. 

20180118_215106-1-800x600.jpg.c71f72e51485fecd0ca0c385755ed038.jpg

top work well done

This was the 3rd fox of the night that nearly got away, just before the 2nd fox i neard a vixen call,  I though got to be something around other than the ones we I'd seen, the farm lad went to fetch the 2nd fox but I said hang on a bit let's have a couple of minutes. 

Then as I expected in trotts another fox, not far from the one just shot, 50 - 70 yards to the right, just sat and looked in the general direction of the dead fox. And oh brilliant down in the bloomin muddy field again, criss hair on the big, Aaaaa no bullet !!! missed 1, shot 2, that's 3 shots numpty. Bullet pouch coated in wet cold mud, in the pocket that got full of nice moist mud previously.  Managed to get one out and chambered, just in time. 

Unlucky 3rd fox. But a good night on a new bit. 

20180118_213256-800x600.jpg

My new Ruby pill for the Sunnranger arrived today, and I managed to **** up taking the torch apart to fit it :whistling:

Amazingly got an Email back from Clive Ward within the hour of ringing his telephone girl!! :good:

Hopefully new Sunnranger with Ruby pill here Monday/Tuesday, and he will repair my busted one too.

Week off work as I have been suspended without pay :no: Need to get out on the Fox and forget the toss bags I work for for a few nights!

No nv this weekend, but youngest Daughter staying at mine so no matter. Ups and downs of life I spose...

Well done everyone! Looks like everyone's been getting out except me. :unhappy: Had to work the last 14 days in a row so getting out has been difficult. The couple of times I have managed to get out I've had some short visits which have been rapidly curtailed by **** weather. Hopefully tonight's the night though. No work tomorrow and no rain forecast until the early morning should mean I'll be able to get some decent time out.

Great work by everyone in Fox Club, some really impressive work over the last few days. Also good to see new contributors. Welcome to Fox Club Hammo :)

14 hours ago, Hammo said:

My new Ruby pill for the Sunnranger arrived today, and I managed to **** up taking the torch apart to fit it 

Amazingly got an Email back from Clive Ward within the hour of ringing his telephone girl!! :good:

Hopefully new Sunnranger with Ruby pill here Monday/Tuesday, and he will repair my busted one too.

Week off work as I have been suspended without pay  Need to get out on the Fox and forget the toss bags I work for for a few nights!

No nv this weekend, but youngest Daughter staying at mine so no matter. Ups and downs of life I spose...

hope things improve next week mate.

to be fair we had a carp one last night.freezing cold {mike would not of ventured out}:no: only saw 3 quick glimpses and no shots. but first time we have blanked in ages.tried every call in the foxpro and took half of my palm of calling:lol: roll on next week 

33 minutes ago, racing snake said:

Well done everyone! Looks like everyone's been getting out except me. :unhappy: Had to work the last 14 days in a row so getting out has been difficult. The couple of times I have managed to get out I've had some short visits which have been rapidly curtailed by **** weather. Hopefully tonight's the night though. No work tomorrow and no rain forecast until the early morning should mean I'll be able to get some decent time out.

Great work by everyone in Fox Club, some really impressive work over the last few days. Also good to see new contributors. Welcome to Fox Club Hammo :)

look forward to write up stu

Well done lads , good to see you are getting results especially as Mike is off the mark now.

I was out last night too in the freezing cold , nothing moving at all. We did 6 stands over 3 shoots where foxes had been seen and we could see footings in the snow but alas never saw 1 in the 5 hours of calling :unhappy:

10 hours ago, racing snake said:

Cheers mucker!!

Has been a treat to find a dedicated foxing thread :good:

As I have been using the .243 more again, after the 17 Hornet has been hogging all the action for a while, I have ordered another Hawke Sidewinder scope but with the SR6 reticle; never got on with the half mildot reticle. Will now have the same scope on three of my rifles, .22LR - 17 Hornet - .243.

Not allowed back to work until Friday, so banking on at least a couple of nights out after 2moz. Good luck All!!

I nipped out last night for a couple of hours, too blooming cold for waiting around for Charlie, my face was frozen. Packed in around 21.30 and popped in to the local for a warm up. 

It's the state of the field's that putting a damper on things at the moment for me. 

Well done gents. 

Out on Saturday night..30 minute drive to be met by patchy fog. It cleared long enough to see a fox..then came back in so no shot. This carried on and then the fox got bored and curled up under a hedge..in the neighbouring field...Went on to the second farm and fog was so thick I went home.....:sad1:

Back out tonight to try again. 

On 1/20/2018 at 10:11, racing snake said:

Well done everyone! Looks like everyone's been getting out except me. Had to work the last 14 days in a row so getting out has been difficult. The couple of times I have managed to get out I've had some short visits which have been rapidly curtailed by **** weather. Hopefully tonight's the night though. No work tomorrow and no rain forecast until the early morning should mean I'll be able to get some decent time out.

Great work by everyone in Fox Club, some really impressive work over the last few days. Also good to see new contributors. Welcome to Fox Club Hammo

I am sure there was talk of a North Wales fox party as the main man had not been seen for over a week :lol: God help them when you get back out mate :good:

16 hours ago, Daieye said:

Well Done everyone Had this Vixen last night she was about 200 yds away,tried to call her in closer but she just ignored me and having just broke my sticks I had no choice but to get down and dirty in the mud(the joys of fox shooting)

20180121_012120.jpg

Dont pretend that you object to getting down and dirty mate :lol: good old welsh mud is good for the soul :lol::lol:

7 hours ago, WelshMike said:

I am sure there was talk of a North Wales fox party as the main man had not been seen for over a week  God help them when you get back out mate :good:

They'd better get some cover because the party's over tonight. :lol: Good luck too Mike. :good:

Nice shooting Dai, commitment to the cause there. :yes:

Edited by racing snake

Nice going everyone. I have been unable to align opportunity with the weather so far this year! Finally got out last night and waded through the flooded fields to the fields which were just waterlogged :unhappy:. Called in several locations for 3 hours but saw nothing. I trudged back to the car, loaded my kit and set off home, only to follow a fox running down the road which splits the farm I was on :oops:. He was probably watching me splash around in the fields below the road, cheeky ******!

If I would have had to get down prone last night I would have needed a snorkel!

Good luck tonight Stu. I will be back out later in the week & hopefully get off the mark for the year. 

13 hours ago, Strongman said:

Nice going everyone. I have been unable to align opportunity with the weather so far this year! Finally got out last night and waded through the flooded fields to the fields which were just waterlogged :unhappy:. Called in several locations for 3 hours but saw nothing. I trudged back to the car, loaded my kit and set off home, only to follow a fox running down the road which splits the farm I was on :oops:. He was probably watching me splash around in the fields below the road, cheeky ******!

Good luck tonight Stu. I will be back out later in the week & hopefully get off the mark for the year. 

good effort bud hope it clears for you later in the week. we had one sneak round us about 400 yards last night but still could not quite get on it 

18 hours ago, Strongman said:

:lol: typical...

Headed out last night since the fog had cleared and went back to the farm where I had seen the fox on Saturday night. Got set up and a good hand squeak did the job. The fox came charging in and wouldnt stop. At about 40 yards it stopped long enough for me to miss it......what a tool. Off it ran into the distance. 

Over to the second farm and a nice trudge through the mud to a field that has a good vantage point. Quick flick of the torch picked up eye shine so over to the NV. I spotted the fox legging it across the field below me but a hand squeak got some interest. Down in the mud for a shot just as it went behind a fence. A bit more squeaking and it headed to the right to get the wind in its favor. Back up and onto the sticks just as it got t a shootable position. Managed to hit this one :lol:. Nice vixen but the shot made such a mess that I cant post the pic. 

Happy farmer which always helps.  

Nice one Mike. Shame about the sitter. We've all been there! :lol:

FINALLY managed to get out myself last night! Planned the quarry, and a couple of other spots in the area. I'd set a trail cam up a week or so ago at the quarry so was eager to check it. Got parked up and went to collect the cam before getting set up to shoot. Good to see the bait had been left alone for a week until a fox had shown itself on Saturday night (the night of the fog!). Decided to try a bit of a different shooting position to usual, so got set up on a flat-bed trailer with the caller up the hill in front of me. Tried the vixen call for a bit but no show so left it quiet for another half hour then ran it again. After a few minutes Charlie comes over the brow to have a look-see. He hung around a bit too close to the top of the hill for a safe shot to begin with, but eventually coaxed him down to a safe shooting spot. Nice change for me to be shooting off the bipod, dead as a doornail before he hit the ground.

Nothing else seen but have re-baited with a couple of unlucky rabbits, so will check again at weekend. Pretty sure he's the one on the trail cam though.

39146773104_0a01c2a92c_z.jpg

25983742818_c2ea0d41f3_c.jpg