Fox club

WelshMike

Nice shooting gents, and good luck tonight Hammo.

Been a bit of a tricky one for me earlier in the week. Was planning to head to the hill on Sunday night, but a call from one of my other permissions saying he'd lost a duck and the cheeky fox walked straight past him in the yard at 6:00am convinced me to get myself up there. I'd had most of my foxes from this particular farm in the same field - it's relatively central and they seem to use it as a crossing point. Got geared up in the yard and made my way over to the field and put the caller out about 100 yards in front of me. Had the caller off and on for around half an hour with nothing doing, scanned 360 degrees and something caught my eye back at the farm by the chicken coup. Got on the scope to see if it was a cat but nope, charlie was pacing around the coup trying to get in. No safe shot as too close to farm, so I try to skirt around it by heading up the hill so I can get a safe backstop. By the time I'd got up to where was safe I scanned with the thermal but no sign of charlie by the chickens. Kept scanning around I I spy him about 60 yards from where I was originally stood! ********! Again, no safe shot from where I'd moved to. He disappeared over the brow so decided on a plan B and went back to the yard and had a chat with the farmer (also a good mate), and came up with a fiendishly cunning plan. The farm in question is in the process of having a new extension built on to it, so the plan was I'd get up onto the scaffold and wait the fox out. The superb shooting position would render almost any approach as a safe-shot opportunity. So up I climbed, gun and bag on my back, and got settled in my snipers hide and waited .... and waited .....and waited! After 5 hours straight up on the scaffold I was cold, hungry, and just about defeated by charlie. So quickly slotted a couple of rabbits from my position, climbed down and set them with with a trail cam by the chicken coup and vowed to return the next evening to see what's happening.

Got back to the farm at 18:45 next evening, rabbits hadn't been touched and no sign of charlie on the cam. Unperturbed I vowed to get back up the scaffold for another stint. Mate had made me a flask of strong coffee to keep me going, so again got settled in for a spell. 6 BLOODY HOURS LATER and still no sign of charlie! So called it a night at 01;30.

Not been back there since, and the rabbits haven't been touched. If a fox can have the audacity to walk straight past the farmer, take one of his ducks, try and take some more with me looking on, then manage to stay hidden from thermal imaging for two nights in a row, then I doff my cap to him. I'll give him best, and with a wry smile I will say, I really do hope I don't come across him again.

Out on the hill tonight. Watch out! :lol:

Edited by racing snake

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good luck Racing Snake!

Set up shop early, sat on my trusty foldaway shooting stool; at the little tump at the top of the long sloping field. Good overwatch position above the bait, I settled in to wait. A few bunnies about. After about 40 mins I spot a pair of Fox, far side of the next field over; and way too close to a house to consider a shot. I decide to wait for them, they will surely come my way. Very little wind, almost nothing but what there is is in my favour. Could have brought the 17 Hornet, but the forecast was for more wind than this, so I have the Mauser 243.

Feet and hands getting bloody cold now! been here an hour and a half. Then the pair of Fox I saw earlier come trotting in from the left about 75 metres out, and oblivious to my presence in the shadows of a big old oak, on the stool of doom. They are both heading for the bait noses to the ground, so I have to choose one of the pair......   One is now at the bait, so I settle the crosshairs on, and he obliges by turning broadside on. Shot. And missed, they both scream of towards the bottom end of the field. How the %%%% I missed that I cannot comprehend, but I have. Muttering curses under my breath I chamber another 65 gr Vmax and scan with the scope , eyeshine at the bottom of the field, and a fox is bobbing its head up and down, trying to work out who the idiot at the top with the bang stick is. I grab my chance and there is a loud 'pop' as the shot finds its mark. Fox vanishes and I offer up a prayer that it is down, there is a bit of dead ground down there, so nothing shows on the thermal.  I think that number two may make another appearance; so sit tight for twenty minutes.

Finally I give in and wander down to the bottom for a look around. Find this young Dog Fox splayed out on the grass, back of his head is blown out. I did after all redeem myself with the second shot. Nice headshot at 190 paces. I don't doubt the Rifle or my handloads for a moment, that first shot miss was definitely pilot error. I don't miss very often, but when I do I will not lie about it. It happens.

Deer carcass bait worked great. I have left the Fox near it and will try and go back tomorrow night.

Hammo

IMG_1683.JPG

Edited by Hammo

Nice work Hammo second shots are sometimes the best :lol: 

Interesting one RS good luck. :good:

Mate (Bumpy) was doing his hair and nails last night so I was on my loan some having promised to look over a few paddocks down the road. Its only a few acres in total but not far from a chicken farm and has its fair share of foxes. Caller out in the field and stand in the shade of a large hedge. Looking with the thermal as the vixen mating call plays and next thing I see is fox backing off from the caller (where did that come from ?). Simple shot behind the front leg and she was down. 

Gave it 30 mins then tried the caller again. I can see one mooching the the other side of the fence. Stop caller and wait then try again and through he comes. Drop him at about 80m. 

Thirty mins later I spot another in the copse and spent the next 40 mins trying to coax it out but no joy.

Out again tonight :) but weather not so good. 

20180209_214423_1.jpg

23 hours ago, Dougy said:

Hybrid Target. 

Dont use them for Fox :no: If the 1st was not a perfect heart shot it would have run on and we would not have not found it. I tried to research what i could regarding the expansion, but i can now say that I totally disagree with allot of the comments that are put on the WWW regarding their explosive properties. ( obviously folk talking twoddle as they do)  I am after a box of the Hybrid Hunter, reports from Berger are they are just about identical POI and BC as the Target.  

See you next Friday ?

You just gonna have to bite the bullet and purchase, Hornady 143gr ELDX.

Yep the 3 of us going Friday, don't want you hiding from us coz your a posh get

Edited by reggiegun

Nice work Hammo, Grant.

Aye Mark, was questioning my sanity at one point when the cold was really biting. It's weird but not massively disappointed to not have shot him, providing he was just passing through. Will monitor the area with some cams for a while.

Back on the hill last night, started off at the quarry, sat on the flat bed for an hour without calling. Did see one skirt the brow briefly but didn't present a shot, so went for a walk around the hill for a couple of hours. Again saw another fox far off but wouldn't come in. Called back at the quarry for an hour before home - again sitting on the flatbed. Nothing seen for 45 minutes, then on scanning 360 I saw a dog and vixen had come over the hill behind me and were chasing each other around the field. Took aim at the pursuer (assumed dog) and let fly. Dropped him on the spot but vixen took off like a scolded cat. More to be done at the quarry, she probably still has time to call another dog in.

39472920494_5915bd419b_c.jpg

Well Done Grant,Hammo and Stuart

Spotted a fox mousing around a lamb creep feeder gave a few squeaks to get her attention and of course she went around the other side and disappeared

Ah well moved my position so I could see both sides of the feeder,10 minute wait and she was back nice easy 40 yd shot a little Vixen

20180209_230010.jpg

Night indoors tonight, 12 hour shifts all week and then 12 hour days today and Sunday. TIRED BOY :sad1:

Planning a big night out Sunday night, will stay out really late to get into the sleep pattern of 12 hour nights next week. Got a perm owner who has seen a fox at 3-4am last few nights, so will try and stay out for that.

Hammo 

Glad to see you gents are getting out and some serious dedication being shown. 

The new house is taking all my time and energy at the moment so when I finally get a night that it isnt raining and dont seem to be able to get the motivation to get out. I normally have 3 or 4 trips a year to Dorset and Devon shooting deer with a mate...but I havent even managed a trip since Jan 2017...not good :no:

I doubt things are going to get any better for a while....need to pull my finger out :lol:

1 hour ago, WelshMike said:

Glad to see you gents are getting out and some serious dedication being shown. 

The new house is taking all my time and energy at the moment so when I finally get a night that it isnt raining and dont seem to be able to get the motivation to get out. I normally have 3 or 4 trips a year to Dorset and Devon shooting deer with a mate...but I havent even managed a trip since Jan 2017...not good 

I doubt things are going to get any better for a while....need to pull my finger out 

Sounds hectic mike. Hope you had time to watch the rugby;)

Nice one Dai. After seeing your pics I decided to man up and go out Sunday night. There was more of a covering of snow than I expected but there was a good wind so decided to have a walk round and see what was about.

I stopped in a couple of likely spots and put the caller out but nothing was moving. Decided on a mobile approach as hypothermia was setting in! Eventually picked up some eyes at around 200 yards but as soon as I gave it a squeak he was off like a shot without stopping. I carried on and entering a field I picked up three sets of eyes under a hedge at about 100 yards away. I could see two were clearly sheep but wasn't sure on the third set. Again I gave a squeak and the second fox was off and running! Never stopped to have a look back and carried on into the night. Couldn't have taken a shot as I didn't have a positive ID, especially with the proximity of the sheep. Never saw anything else. Did see several shooting stars as it was a lovely clear night.

Is anyone else getting such skittish responses to distress calls at this time of year? They could have been shot at previously, not by me, and associate the squeak with a shot I suppose.

Sounds like you need to address your work life balance Mike and get out shooting! 

4 hours ago, Strongman said:

Nice one Dai. After seeing your pics I decided to man up and go out Sunday night. There was more of a covering of snow than I expected but there was a good wind so decided to have a walk round and see what was about.

I stopped in a couple of likely spots and put the caller out but nothing was moving. Decided on a mobile approach as hypothermia was setting in! Eventually picked up some eyes at around 200 yards but as soon as I gave it a squeak he was off like a shot without stopping. I carried on and entering a field I picked up three sets of eyes under a hedge at about 100 yards away. I could see two were clearly sheep but wasn't sure on the third set. Again I gave a squeak and the second fox was off and running! Never stopped to have a look back and carried on into the night. Couldn't have taken a shot as I didn't have a positive ID, especially with the proximity of the sheep. Never saw anything else. Did see several shooting stars as it was a lovely clear night.

Is anyone else getting such skittish responses to distress calls at this time of year? They could have been shot at previously, not by me, and associate the squeak with a shot I suppose.

Sounds like you need to address your work life balance Mike and get out shooting! 

Going out tonight...promise. 

I think the response to distress calls is fox specific and sometimes the effect of wariness and teaching. I was out a few years ago and encountered some cubs. I gave a squeak and in they came until mum called them back from the wood. Some foxes just know something isnt right and as such will turn tail and run at the sound of something unnatural. Others will charge in like complete fools. Makes it interesting. 

Glad to see you managed to get out Mike. I was also out last night. It certainly was cold and crisp, certainly livened me up after an evening by the fire!

Within 20 minutes of being out a picked up a fox trotting down a hedgeline. Followed him with the NV predicting him to follow the hedge and come along below me and present a safe shot. Plan nearly worked but he was just to near the edge of where the ground falls away again to be certain of a safe shot. Watched him for a bit, willing him to come towards me and present a safe shot but alas, he disappeared down the bank away from me :sad1:.

Put the caller out in a couple of locations but nothing showed. Saw quite a few rabbits about. Wondering if this is a sign that the fox population is under control as I have taken a few off this farm.

1 hour ago, Strongman said:

Glad to see you managed to get out Mike. I was also out last night. It certainly was cold and crisp, certainly livened me up after an evening by the fire!

Within 20 minutes of being out a picked up a fox trotting down a hedgeline. Followed him with the NV predicting him to follow the hedge and come along below me and present a safe shot. Plan nearly worked but he was just to near the edge of where the ground falls away again to be certain of a safe shot. Watched him for a bit, willing him to come towards me and present a safe shot but alas, he disappeared down the bank away from me .

Put the caller out in a couple of locations but nothing showed. Saw quite a few rabbits about. Wondering if this is a sign that the fox population is under control as I have taken a few off this farm.

Thats the double edged sword of effective fox control. I have had a good couple of years on my permissions and often dont expect to see anything much..makes it a little bit on the boring side though. 

1 hour ago, WelshMike said:

Thats the double edged sword of effective fox control. I have had a good couple of years on my permissions and often dont expect to see anything much..makes it a little bit on the boring side though. 

no night shooting is boring mike:no: are we having a write up on your deer efforts?any luck yesterday?

Also managed a few hours out on big hill number 2 last night. Higher than number 1 but I can drive to within 200 ft of its summit, which is handy! Nothing much doing up on the hill, minus 5 and a wind that would cut you in half meant it was a brief a visit as possible. Farmer had said he'd seen a fox in the field in front of the farm a few days ago so decided to have a couple of hours on the slope that overlooks the farm on the yard to the left. Didn't run the caller, just sat and waited. Was entertaining myself by scoping some rats up in the drone and contemplating vaporising them when I gave a quick scan with the thermal and a fox is heading along the stream bank, coming in my direction. Got her scoped up at 100 yards but cursing my luck a bit - she'd stopped side-on, lovely shot, perfect backstop but because of how far above her I was I could see the power lines that supply the farm in the scope, so wasn't going to risk a shot between them. Something must have grabbed her attention though as she started to move up the slope and into a safe shooting area. She stopped herself, I didn't have to get her attention, and put her down without her ever knowing I was there. Looked like she was starting to show signs of carrying cubs. A bit of a worry for me, need to get my permissions cleared as soon as possible. Really don't want to be shooting foxes when there's cubs in the earth unless it's unavoidable. :no: Need to try and get out more for the next couple of weeks.

40268778801_ec9210fed0_c.jpg

Edited by racing snake

1 hour ago, racing snake said:

Also managed a few hours out on big hill number 2 last night. Higher than number 1 but I can drive to within 200 ft of its summit, which is handy! Nothing much doing up on the hill, minus 5 and a wind that would cut you in half meant it was a brief a visit as possible. Farmer had said he'd seen a fox in the field in front of the farm a few days ago so decided to have a couple of hours on the slope that overlooks the farm on the yard to the left. Didn't run the caller, just sat and waited. Was entertaining myself by scoping some rats up in the drone and contemplating vaporising them when I gave a quick scan with the thermal and a fox is heading along the stream bank, coming in my direction. Got her scoped up at 100 yards but cursing my luck a bit - she'd stopped side-on, lovely shot, perfect backstop but because of how far above her I was I could see the power lines that supply the farm in the scope, so was going to risk a shot between them. Something must have grabbed her attention though as she started to move up the slope and into a safe shooting area. She stopped herself, I didn't have to get her attention, and put her down without her ever knowing I was there. Looked like she was starting to show signs of carrying cubs. A bit of a worry for me, need to get my permissions cleared as soon as possible. Really don't want to be shooting foxes when there's cubs in the earth unless it's unavoidable. :no: Need to try and get out more for the next couple of weeks.

40268778801_ec9210fed0_c.jpg

top work stu. followed one about on a new golf course monday night but just could not get a safe shot.