Fox club

WelshMike

Tricky night last night, what with the full moon and clear skies. Headed out to a favourite permission about half an hour away. Nothing doing on the lower section, so about midnight I headed up through the treeline onto the top section hoping to find some shadow and get the caller running. Got caught out a bit by a fox though, as I was walking to my spot where I can get under a thick hawthorn and get the caller set up, I had a quick scan and spotted a fox on the next hill, sat in the middle of a bunch of rabbits. Knew that it was going to be tricky to call him in, I was still in the open, moon still blaring and wasn't fancying my chances of getting him in closer. I know the cover well enough to know he was over 200 yards away but not more than 300. Gave him some calls with the mouth caller but he just stayed sat, watching me. No chance. "Right, you ********** Usually shoot of the primos but as he was in no hurry to move, and a bit rangy I got the gun on the bipod, rear bag out of the rucksack and got him in the scope. Hmmm, he looked pretty small even at X15, but with no wind, and him offering a big target sat looking straight at me, I fancied my chances. Put the crosshair on his eyes and let one go. Saw him drop instantly in the scope, then what seemed like a full second later the report of the round hitting home came back. Now I just had to go and pick him up! Down the side of one small, but steep valley, through a hawthorn thicket and up the other side. Clean chest shot just right of centre. Bit of a scrawny cub but pleased with the shot. Nothing else seen. Ranged it on GE when I got home - 268 yards.

36280794952_905481b7bd_c.jpg

Nicely done buddy, as usual. :good:

I am struggling at the moment as I have lost my enthusiasm for shooting so not inclined to get out much. Sure this will pass once other things sort themselves out.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cheers Tonker, Mike.

Don't worry Mike I'm sure it'll spark up again once the nights start drawing in.

Rained off on Tuesday night but had another night out again last night. One of my upland permissions; can be a bit exposed and hard work in the middle of Winter but it's a lovely section to walk during the late summer and autumn. A fair walk (most of it vertical) from where I park to where I was planning to run the caller, a good couple of miles at least. Set off from the vehicle around midnight, up the first field, then over into the second one, a quick scan with the thermal and I just catch sight of a fox disappearing through the hedge at the top. Quickly got the gun on the Primos and gave a few squeaks with the back of the hand and it instantly reappears through the hedge. Nice easy shot at 70 yards and fox no.1 in the bag ...

36343638051_f1c1681af0_z.jpg

A bit of a technical issue with the IR meant I had to go back down and carry out some repairs which I could have done without, but after sorting that out I made my way up to close to the top of the hill, to a small valley where I planned to run the caller. Moon was occasionally making a show through the broken cloud, so positioned myself under a small tree with my back to the moon which should make it as difficult as possible for any approaching fox to spot me. Being an upland cover they're used to the hares so I ran shoeshoe on the foxpro for 20 minutes or so before I spot a fox coming up the valley side towards me. Let him get to around 100 yards then muted the caller which brought him to a standstill long enough to get no.2 in the bag ...

36481005685_61b5b43286_z.jpg

Ran the caller for another 30 minutes or so but no sign of anything. Was getting on now, and with work in the morning I was tempted to take the direct route down to the car and make my way home. With it being a pleasant night though I had second thoughts, packed the caller etc into the rucksack and made my way further up the hill to the top, planning to come down the other side and walk round to the car that way. Got up onto the moorland on the very top, nothing showing on the thermal so gave a few minutes calling with the mouth call, and another fox appears from the right, again around 100 yards off, takes a seat and looks straight at me. That'll do I thought, on the Primos, and no.3 was dispatched.

35645673264_859655b396_z.jpg

Nothing else around the summit area so started to make my way down the side of the hill, a different route to the one I used to get up. Dropped down through a couple of fields and down to a small copse off to my right. I could see a thermal signature in the wood but couldn't really make it out clearly. Thought it might have been a cat from a house that's the other side of the copse, but got the gun on the sticks and called it with the hand call....it momentarily disappeared from the thermal then reappeared right at the fence-line, Checked it on the scope expecting to see a tabby or similar staring at me, but nope, a fox was poking its head through the fence looking straight at me. Only had the head as a sure target without wires interfering so let one go at his nose and no.4 was taken care of....

35672571643_0e36b1ab8a_z.jpg

Had a sit down for a while after number four, and waited about 15 minutes for things to settle. Only had another couple of long fields to drop down before I'd hit the track back to the vehicle. After a bit of a wait I made my way down the first field, over the fence into the second, and just caught sight of another fox heading through the gate at the bottom. Got the gun on the Primos again and started to call him with the back of the hand, but instead of him coming back through the gate he made his way up the ditch which ran up the field towards me. Was a bit worried that by the time he showed himself he'd be right on top of me, see me then bolt. Kept catching glimpses of him in the thermal as he made his way up, so switched over to the gun and luckily he decided to stick his head up out of the ditch when he was barely 30 yards away. But of a blur in the scope given how close he was, but clear enough to positively identify a fox, so gave him the bad news and no.5 was down and out.

35645698814_a73a3e04e6_z.jpg

Time was getting on now, nearly 4:am and had to be up for work at 7:30 so thought I'd best start making tracks! Still had a 45 minute drive home. 2 hours sleep and then up for work today. Many coffees have been consumed!

Cheers Tonker, Mike.

Don't worry Mike I'm sure it'll spark up again once the nights start drawing in.

Rained off on Tuesday night but had another night out again last night. One of my upland permissions; can be a bit exposed and hard work in the middle of Winter but it's a lovely section to walk during the late summer and autumn. A fair walk (most of it vertical) from where I park to where I was planning to run the caller, a good couple of miles at least. Set off from the vehicle around midnight, up the first field, then over into the second one, a quick scan with the thermal and I just catch sight of a fox disappearing through the hedge at the top. Quickly got the gun on the Primos and gave a few squeaks with the back of the hand and it instantly reappears through the hedge. Nice easy shot at 70 yards and fox no.1 in the bag ...

36343638051_f1c1681af0_z.jpg

A bit of a technical issue with the IR meant I had to go back down and carry out some repairs which I could have done without, but after sorting that out I made my way up to close to the top of the hill, to a small valley where I planned to run the caller. Moon was occasionally making a show through the broken cloud, so positioned myself under a small tree with my back to the moon which should make it as difficult as possible for any approaching fox to spot me. Being an upland cover they're used to the hares so I ran shoeshoe on the foxpro for 20 minutes or so before I spot a fox coming up the valley side towards me. Let him get to around 100 yards then muted the caller which brought him to a standstill long enough to get no.2 in the bag ...

36481005685_61b5b43286_z.jpg

Ran the caller for another 30 minutes or so but no sign of anything. Was getting on now, and with work in the morning I was tempted to take the direct route down to the car and make my way home. With it being a pleasant night though I had second thoughts, packed the caller etc into the rucksack and made my way further up the hill to the top, planning to come down the other side and walk round to the car that way. Got up onto the moorland on the very top, nothing showing on the thermal so gave a few minutes calling with the mouth call, and another fox appears from the right, again around 100 yards off, takes a seat and looks straight at me. That'll do I thought, on the Primos, and no.3 was dispatched.

35645673264_859655b396_z.jpg

Nothing else around the summit area so started to make my way down the side of the hill, a different route to the one I used to get up. Dropped down through a couple of fields and down to a small copse off to my right. I could see a thermal signature in the wood but couldn't really make it out clearly. Thought it might have been a cat from a house that's the other side of the copse, but got the gun on the sticks and called it with the hand call....it momentarily disappeared from the thermal then reappeared right at the fence-line, Checked it on the scope expecting to see a tabby or similar staring at me, but nope, a fox was poking its head through the fence looking straight at me. Only had the head as a sure target without wires interfering so let one go at his nose and no.4 was taken care of....

35672571643_0e36b1ab8a_z.jpg

Had a sit down for a while after number four, and waited about 15 minutes for things to settle. Only had another couple of long fields to drop down before I'd hit the track back to the vehicle. After a bit of a wait I made my way down the first field, over the fence into the second, and just caught sight of another fox heading through the gate at the bottom. Got the gun on the Primos again and started to call him with the back of the hand, but instead of him coming back through the gate he made his way up the ditch which ran up the field towards me. Was a bit worried that by the time he showed himself he'd be right on top of me, see me then bolt. Kept catching glimpses of him in the thermal as he made his way up, so switched over to the gun and luckily he decided to stick his head up out of the ditch when he was barely 30 yards away. But of a blur in the scope given how close he was, but clear enough to positively identify a fox, so gave him the bad news and no.5 was down and out.

35645698814_a73a3e04e6_z.jpg

Time was getting on now, nearly 4:am and had to be up for work at 7:30 so thought I'd best start making tracks! Still had a 45 minute drive home. 2 hours sleep and then up for work today. Many coffees have been consumed!

Fantastic work buddy, well done.

Cheers Mike. Looking forward to you getting some up soon too mate. :good:

Thanks mate. Between the upcoming house move, bees and work I am struggling but I am sure when life sorts its self out a bit I will be back out. I ll have a trip after the sika and fallow with one of my mates in the next couple of months so something to look forward to.

Take care and keep up the good work.

What a brilliant night RS and write up too. I'm too old now to be out that late and go to work with only a couple of hours sleep that's for the younger guys. :lol::lol:

Cheers FH1, yes it was a nice night. Won't be long before it's biting cold a a howling gale up there so nice to have a night where it's comfortable. I've been struggling a bit myself today, but I've got my second wind now so as the river's fined down to a nice height I'm off out fly fishing for the sea trout once it gets dark. Going to be a struggle but there's a can of RedBull in the fridge that keeps winking at me so I reckon I can get a few hours in. Off for two weeks after tomorrow! Yey!!! :yahoo:

Great write up Stu, I'm back from three weeks in Scotland and the Orkney's Saturday. Haven't picked a rifle up for that time(withdrawal symptoms).

Looking forward to trying your beer can out. I can only dream of as many foxes as that on my grounds. Well done!

Great write up Stu, I'm back from three weeks in Scotland and the Orkney's Saturday. Haven't picked a rifle up for that time(withdrawal symptoms).

Looking forward to trying your beer can out. I can only dream of as many foxes as that on my grounds. Well done!

Cheers Steve, I bet you're itching to get out.

Yeah I've had good numbers on two of my permissions since starting back after my summer break. Soon be back down to ones and twos by October though! :lol:

Cheers FH1, yes it was a nice night. Won't be long before it's biting cold a a howling gale up there so nice to have a night where it's comfortable. I've been struggling a bit myself today, but I've got my second wind now so as the river's fined down to a nice height I'm off out fly fishing for the sea trout once it gets dark. Going to be a struggle but there's a can of RedBull in the fridge that keeps winking at me so I reckon I can get a few hours in. Off for two weeks after tomorrow! Yey!!! :yahoo:

Enjoy your 2 weeks off ......I've got next week to work then I'm off 2 weeks also......cant wait , plenty shooting.

Hopefully plenty stubbles and plenty foxes. :)

I can only dream of as many foxes as that on my grounds. Well done!

Odd how we 'foxers' look at it from different angles. I get out twice a week at least - all year round.

However, I don't really want to see a fox. I look at it from the keepers point of view. Control of foxes is my game. I would never like to eradicate them all as they are a truly lovely animal.

But, my pheasants, my neighbouring farmers free range geese and his neighbours 40,000 ducks won't do too well if there are a lot of Charlies around.

Foxes only have one breeding season a year. Often the result of that breeding is raised by several adults of both sexes and also immature foxes from the previous season.

You can only shoot them once. You hit a piece of land hard and it takes a while for new ones to move in.

Although I enjoy the chase and look after a very large piece of land I am never disappointed when I don't see one all night. Just shows that I am on top of the job.

Odd how we 'foxers' look at it from different angles. I get out twice a week at least - all year round.

However, I don't really want to see a fox. I look at it from the keepers point of view. Control of foxes is my game. I would never like to eradicate them all as they are a truly lovely animal.

But, my pheasants, my neighbouring farmers free range geese and his neighbours 40,000 ducks won't do too well if there are a lot of Charlies around.

Foxes only have one breeding season a year. Often the result of that breeding is raised by several adults of both sexes and also immature foxes from the previous season.

You can only shoot them once. You hit a piece of land hard and it takes a while for new ones to move in.

Although I enjoy the chase and look after a very large piece of land I am never disappointed when I don't see one all night. Just shows that I am on top of the job.

We have 84,000 geese and 125,000 ducks all free range on the farm I shoot on. We are never short of foxes.

I was out last night, and saw "B" all. Thats 3 nights now in total this last week. But that's not good when I walk past a few young pheasants out in the field, that few being around a dozen, and all fox kills. Very likely this year's cubs, I've had a couple of the guilty, but still a few around. The keeper asks me to go here and there, or wherever he's seen signs of Mr fox.

I'm out this morning to put some cameras out it if I can't shoot them I'll get some photos of them. Then of course be in the right place -at the right time, hopefully.

Just hope the weather let's me.

Some great work there RS and nice write up.

I share your pain Dougy. Two many blanks lately.

Last Fri night (ok a little late in posting) we toured several likely farms and a big fat '0' . Until the last place which is as flat as can be and out came the girly rifle. On one of the central fields we spotted one that would not come in. We moved towards it and then spotted around 5 more (well grown cubs). None of which would respond. We walked towards one in the maize and at about 80 yds it was down and out. A short walk along the track and another mooching about on the grass paid the price at about 60yds.

IMG_20170614_WA0000_1.jpg

This week i was asked to sit in a fox box top of a container at a chicken farm at 0400. Despite the promise that that was when I had to be there a big zero. Strangely the bait that was put out had already mysteriously vanished. I went back again Thurs night 2100-2400 and again zero. The bait was brought out but i doubt a fully frozen chicken was upto the job.

Last night two decent farms and not a lot until.......... the last field of the last farm. Eyes were spotted and the fox had come in behind us. Caught him on the edge of the lamp. A quick turn with the sticks lit him up and he was off. Stopping every so often just to frustrate Bumpy 22 who nearly got the shot off, nearly again and almost again. Close but no cigar.

Last week bagged a nice buck, and working hard on perfecting my gralloching.Nice ********s Bumpy said :lol:

20170806_191740_1.jpg

20170806_192720_1.jpg

It was a quiet night last night to start with , I did some barley stubbles , calling in a moggy and seeing a roe doe but not a sign of a fox.

It was only 12.30 so I decided to call into another farm on the way back home , with barley and rape stubbles. I set up in the rape stubble as this is normally where you might see a fox if you are going to. I was on top of the bank looking down below with a good view, 10 mins of calling and a fox appeared to my right downwind , typical . I tried getting on to it but it went back to where it came so I decided to see if I could stalk it. I got onto it again but had to take a shot off sticks as it was slinking off with its **** to me and missed.

Put caller out and within 10 mins another fox turned up but hung up as it was broad daylight by now 2.30am , no shot as was skylined,

Went home with nothing but at least I know they are there and will hopefully have better luck next time.

At least you are seeing some FH. I can't believe we have not seen more, having said that there is an awful lot of cover with the maize and wheat. I keep telling myself have patience. :)

Its strange some nights you see nothing and the next night theyre there ....that's why we love it so much.

Im down Wilts in a couple of weeks time for 4 nights foxing ,,,, hope there's plenty about. My mate saw 5 in daylight last week whilst stalking and left them for my trip ....heres hoping they play ball .

Nice shooting owwee, still bagging them with the girlie gun! :lol: . Unlucky Dougy and FH1, as you say, that's how it goes sometimes.

Just been out to view a cracking looking permission - big pasture that backs onto a high moor with conifer plantations either side. Looks like fox city! Looking forward to tonight's visit - can't beat new land excitement! :yes: . No doubt I'll be posting tomorrow informing everyone I blanked. :lol:

Edited by racing snake

Nice shooting owwee, still bagging them with the girlie gun! :lol: . Unlucky Dougy and FH1, as you say, that's how it goes sometimes.

Just been out to view a cracking looking permission - big pasture that backs onto a high moor with conifer plantations either side. Looks like fox city! Looking forward to tonight's visit - can't beat new land excitement! :yes: . No doubt I'll be posting tomorrow informing everyone I blanked. :lol:

Looking fwd to hearing it and not seeing a picture :lol:

Good luck with the new land :good:

Edited by oowee

Walked down the path to one of our fields where Charlie has been spotted and about quater mile down spys a big cub at a massive 5 yards.... if I had Mike's bag he would have had it :lol: another 100 yards from that or so out pops a badger. Little **** thought it was my fox!

Never a bag to hand when you need one. MIKE WHERE ARE YOU :lol::lol::lol:

Went back last night to the same farm I saw the foxes the previous night ....but no sign and the mist started rolling in :unhappy:

Headed off to another farm , went to a stubble field on a hillside. After herding the sheep down the field I was deciding where to set up when I heard a fox shouting behind me. I quickly put the caller out with cubs call playing , the fox came bursting through the hedge up to the caller almost knocking it over and took off up the field , I was following it in the scope shouting for it to stop but it kept going until it reached the fence, another shout stopped it for a split second , this is when I quickly sent a round to drop it as it was just about to go under the scoot under the fence. :yes:

kF8WTYo.jpg

Then I decided to try the spot where I got 3 the other week in the same field.

Set up and played the cub call again , within 5 mins I had a fox screaming in again. Lit it up and took off again down the field , shouted at it again to stop it , took shot and saw it heading off across field but didn't look like it was moving properly , I followed it in the scope shouting and it eventually hung up at the fence , concentrated hard and took the shot but couldn't tell if I had it due to the muzzle flip.

Went down for a look and found the expired fox ......225 paces so I was chuffed. On inspection it appeared that the 1st shot had gone through its throat .

Anyway a great night , great calling again. :yes:

EIOhoRQ.jpg

Edited by FOXHUNTER1