Fox club

WelshMike

Ha, maybe mate, though my legs were wobbling like hot hosepipes when I got to the top last night :lol:

:lol::lol::lol: I know the feeling. I wish I was as fit as I was in 2012 before going trekking in Nepal. We climbed Cadair Idris 13 times before we went and the last 6 times we climbed it twice on each day.....madness.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice one Mike, great to hear you've been out, and bagged a charlie too. Top work. :good:

Another night out for me last night on the hill. Was planning on coming down from over the top, as there's a track that you get up there with. But had second thoughts and went up from the yard again. Used the lack of moon earlier on to have a good walk around and a bit mouth calling but didn't see anything. Once the moon (half) rose I made my way around the top of the hill and dropped down a bit to the fields above the yard. Set up the caller on the slope and got comfy under an oak tree. Action was steady rather than frantic. Dropped a bit a clanger at one stage - was running snowshoe hare on the caller and was studying something really far away with the thermal, couldn't be sure if it was a fox or a badger, studied it for a few minutes and decided it was a badger, scanned in front of me and there's a fox with its nose about 6 inches from caller, Bloody hell! Was cursing myself for not checking as I switched over to the scope, luckily it only dropped another 20 yards down the field before I had it in the crosshairs, and down it goes. Two more followed over the next couple of hours, another big cub and a vixen dropped at 150 yards. In two visits I've taken the dog. vixen and 5 big cubs from this area so reckon it's clear for a week or so now. Got back to the car at 4:30 with the sky starting to lighten and the farmyard cockerel in top gear. Was absolutely shattered. Without doubt this permission is the most difficult to walk that I have, though strangely quite rewarding when you can crack on over 1,000ft in such a short distance without keeling over. :lol:

36606810825_1923ba9e50_c.jpg

Another top night RS ..WELL DONE.

Mike ...glad to see you are back in the saddle , beware those foxes :good:

Had a look last night on cut grass as farmer saw 2 foxes the night before .....typical as I got set up a roe doe showed :unhappy:

I waited til dark and was bloody freezing as there was a cold wind blowing ...bloody August felt like November :unhappy: No foxes showed up , maybe another night.

Went out tonight and sat out on a high seat, there is a fox about as i found what was a pheasant near the pen yesterday. Watched the birds come home to roost, but mr Fox did not show himself. Going to put out the trial cam tomorrow and see if ogs a frequent visitor or not. Not seen a fox near it for a while. So im a bit stumped as to where its coming in from.

Cheers FH, bad luck on the no-show.

Planned a long night again tonight, making the most of my two weeks off work, but sadly the weather had other ideas. Called up to the permission where I had 7 the other week to see if there was anything else about. Got the caller on a fence post about 100 yards down the field, scanning all the way down a good 400 yards, and a fox comes through the gate about twenty yards to my left! Luckily it didn't see me and the strong wind that was blowing certainly helped. Let him get further down the field until I was comfortable to switch over to the scope, and gave him the bad news. Not long after that a bright flash on the horizon to the West confirmed my worst fears, shortly followed by another to the East. With thunderstorms either side of me then one was certainly going to hit. Got the gear together and then sat and watched nature's light show until it got close enough that I could hear the thunder. That'll do, time to get out of Dodge. Got to the car just as the rain hit. Try again tomorrow!

36221463650_95fba6be34_c.jpg

Cheers FH, bad luck on the no-show.

Planned a long night again tonight, making the most of my two weeks off work, but sadly the weather had other ideas. Called up to the permission where I had 7 the other week to see if there was anything else about. Got the caller on a fence post about 100 yards down the field, scanning all the way down a good 400 yards, and a fox comes through the gate about twenty yards to my left! Luckily it didn't see me and the strong wind that was blowing certainly helped. Let him get further down the field until I was comfortable to switch over to the scope, and gave him the bad news. Not long after that a bright flash on the horizon to the West confirmed my worst fears, shortly followed by another to the East. With thunderstorms either side of me then one was certainly going to hit. Got the gear together and then sat and watched nature's light show until it got close enough that I could hear the thunder. That'll do, time to get out of Dodge. Got to the car just as the rain hit. Try again tomorrow!

36221463650_95fba6be34_c.jpg

Nicely done again mate :good:

Well eventually managed to actually see a fox last night, happily going through the wheat fields as it has in the day after the lost peasant polts. The keeper watched the pheasants flying up out of the wheat as the fox was after them in the day. But actually being able to see it in the field with anything but a helicopter is impossible. I did manage to catch a glimpse with thermal as it went straight into cover. Tried calling but just not interested too many free pickings in the cover.

I carried on trying to call but no sign of anything for an hour. Scanning round a far corner of the field (300+yds) spotted a fox crossing the corner going to my right, wind was not good so I needed to shift my self, for pretty quick to get to a point that I could see it before it winded me.

coming in to a hand squeak, I thought yes I'm on here, then spotted a herd of sheep right in line where the fox was heading. They had just been put in the field that evening, all clumped together. I need to stop the fox pretty quick, I had the wind and the sheep to deal with.

The fox came along the hedge line tightly, he stopped just a second or too sniffing the wind and turned broadside, I took the shot and it was good. Dropped it at 170 yds and just 15 yds from the sheep. Nearly another blank.

Can't wait for the combines to get out.

Well eventually managed to actually see a fox last night, happily going through the wheat fields as it has in the day after the lost peasant polts. The keeper watched the pheasants flying up out of the wheat as the fox was after them in the day. But actually being able to see it in the field with anything but a helicopter is impossible. I did manage to catch a glimpse with thermal as it went straight into cover. Tried calling but just not interested too many free pickings in the cover.

I carried on trying to call but no sign of anything for an hour. Scanning round a far corner of the field (300+yds) spotted a fox crossing the corner going to my right, wind was not good so I needed to shift my self, for pretty quick to get to a point that I could see it before it winded me.

coming in to a hand squeak, I thought yes I'm on here, then spotted a herd of sheep right in line where the fox was heading. They had just been put in the field that evening, all clumped together. I need to stop the fox pretty quick, I had the wind and the sheep to deal with.

The fox came along the hedge line tightly, he stopped just a second or too sniffing the wind and turned broadside, I took the shot and it was good. Dropped it at 170 yds and just 15 yds from the sheep. Nearly another blank.

Can't wait for the combines to get out.

Nicely done mate :good:

Cheers Mke, oowee. :good:

Well done on dropping that one Dougy, won't be long now until the field's cut then you can let rip.

Nearly half way through my holidays, and I had planned to do an equal amount of shooting and fishing after the sea trout, but once again the rain's put both rivers out of action for night time fly fishing, so it's out with the gun tonight. Just pondering where to try.

Cheers Mke, oowee. :good:

Well done on dropping that one Dougy, won't be long now until the field's cut then you can let rip.

Nearly half way through my holidays, and I had planned to do an equal amount of shooting and fishing after the sea trout, but once again the rain's put both rivers out of action for night time fly fishing, so it's out with the gun tonight. Just pondering where to try.

Get back up that hill bud, get the blood pumping :lol::lol:

I am off after bunnies with a friend tonight (yes I do have 1 or 2) after I feed some of my bees.

Got back from Scotland the weekend, stalked a buck Weds morning and then looking forward to a few nights after the fox's.

Bloody hell the gout's back with a vengance and I won't be going anywhere for at least a week now

Sounds like you have it pretty bad mate :unhappy: Anything that stops me getting out is serious.

Another night rained off! 45 minute drive, starts throwing it down when I'm 5 minutes away! Ridiculous now. :unhappy:

:sad1: Not good mate.

Managed to avoid the rain and have a couple of hours after bunnies. My 2 mates let the side down again with 1 :lol::lol::lol: and I managed a respectable 12 . Lots of excuses and offensive comments exchanged.