Knife for rabbit butchery , suggestions please

ElvisThePelvis

In an effort to encourage the family to eat more wild produce I tend to do the early stage prep in the garage after hanging and then bring meat rather than animals into the kitchen for final prep before becoming food, this seems to work well with fish too. I don't have a knife in the garage that is robust enough to break down a rabbit, a filleting knife is fine for the smaller jobs and pigeons, and I can't second one of the kitchen knives, so I'm looking for a cheapish knife that will break down rabbits and the odd hare. All suggestions welcome.

Many thanks, I had assumed that they would be a bit big for bunnies... I like victoriknox kitchen knives, great suggestion, thanks!

I cut mine down to 60mm long then cut the plastic tip off the sheath then glued it back on from the inside :good: I use an O ring over the knife handle to the top of the belt hook to keep it secure as it is then hanging around my neck out shooting.

I cut mine down to 60mm long then cut the plastic tip off the sheath then glued it back on from the inside :good: I use an O ring over the knife handle to the top of the belt hook to keep it secure as it is then hanging around my neck out shooting.

That's great, i have a few good field knives, just looking for something to live in the garage so I don't use my field knife and leave it behind by mistake

Whatever you choose it needs to be stiff enough to be pushed through the backbone and split the back legs. Although you can simply just bend the legs off by breaking the backbone and just cut through.

While your planning your prep room/area in the garage keep a lookout for cut offs kitchen work tops.

I have a victoriknox boning knife that lives with me since l left butchery many years ago .you need a good steel to keep it sharp.I prefer a opinol lock knife . It's all about having the right approach ie. cut and break .Once you've done a few it's easy . Dipper

A carbon steel opinel would be ideal, cheap and very easy to maintain. I dont bother splitting the backbone, I just twist the ball and socket joint and cut the back legs off - that way I can separate the pelvis from the saddle and discard it which also gets rid of the rabbit pong when cooking them.

A carbon steel opinel would be ideal, cheap and very easy to maintain. I dont bother splitting the backbone, I just twist the ball and socket joint and cut the back legs off - that way I can separate the pelvis from the saddle and discard it which also gets rid of the rabbit pong when cooking them.

I carry a No 7 Opinel as a back up. I also split open the ball and socket then chop off the pelvis and discard it. I then remove the front legs and cut the saddle high up to discard the ribcage.

I have tried a few different knives for preparing game and the knife I have settled on is a victorinox 5" semi flex boning knife. Its nice and neat like a filleting knife for breasting birds but stiff enough for heavier cutting like a rabbits backbone or a birds neck and wings.

http://www.scobiesdirect.com/ItemInfo.asp?ItemDesc=5%22+Boning+Knife&ItemNo=VK5640312

Opinel for years currently a No.6!

But I have always been in search of a nice handmade knife that was suitable, well I've seen loads I have liked but they have normally been £200 and wrong shape and size (normally bushcraft type that I find too much for bunnys and small game).

Then a mate won a knife from a FB thing he entered, I was really impressed with the knife so I checked the guy out and was keen to text the water with him for a custom job. I aproached Davie who owns BROC knives and have him a spec based on what wanted, he came back with a great template and price so I paid my money.

Davie was excellent and sent me loads of photos but here is a link to his site and my knife: http://www.brocknives.com/the-broc-neck-knife.html#PhotoSwipe1467147117416

I will do a full post on it but it's fantastic and just the right size for everything I want and need.

I carry a No 7 Opinel as a back up. I also split open the ball and socket then chop off the pelvis and discard it. I then remove the front legs and cut the saddle high up to discard the ribcage.

Exactly that. I just use a small but sharp paring knife or an opinel.

Follow up the last rib with a knife on both sides and slice across the back, then twist away ribs so no need for heavy duty knofes at all.