Timpsons Cobblers

Steveveets

Ok so I needed a spare key for a 2nd hand ammunition safe that only came with one key - Timpsons wanted £25 to cut a key which seemed a bit steep so I've now purchased a new lock mechanism that comes with two keys from ebay at £13.50 inc postage, changed the lock and everything is fine. Anyone else think that Timpsons are ripping us off?

Yup, i don't use them, use my local independant and he is brilliant. Timpson don't do lots of their shoe work on site apart from the simple stuff, mine has to send it to a central location. It's why i stopped using them.

Always found them excellent service and not noticed overcharging. Key cutting services everywhere always seem a bit pricey for what they do but unless as you have done, change the whole lock then they have you over a barrel. Two keys I have just had duplicated where for very special locks which would have cost in time, travel and effort as well as the new lock costing more..... what we often forget when we summise a better deal is that we often drive a fair distance to get what we need. Certainly I would have to, living in the boonies and travel cost money. For me to drive into town is at least a fiver, I have a local tractor sales centre within one mile and this week purchased two tarpaulins, yes they were £1..50 each more expensive than Build Base 10 miles away (20 return) saved time and probably a bob or two by buying what appeared more expensive.

I use timpsons quite a bit

got a watch i bought my son for his 21st engraved there they made a very nice job of it in an hour for about 20 quid

also got a battery for life deal for £17

Which is handy as my sunday watch doesn't half go through them

funny what people deem expensive how much do you charge a skilled mans labour

I'm sure most skilled people wouldn't work for £10 ph

Suppose its a lot to do with staff

monkeys and penuts

still scratching a g shock takes some doing

The staff are treated very well, the owner is very fore thinking, and has a very unusual management model which biases the staff.

Service wise, I've no idea.

I have to say I have always found them very helpful and very good at what they do. I wouldn't give them a pair of my good shoes to resole right enough, but for keys and cheap watch batteries you can't beat them IMO. I might be wrong but I think that each shop is owned by those that work in it and come under the Timsons banner? Might be wrong. Clearly you will get variation from shop to shop. As a comparison I took my Dad'd Tissot watch for a battery, last time he was 90quid in the jewelers we bought it form off (rip off) Timsons done a battery for life for under 20quid!! Guess what, it goes tic toc just the same and he wont pay for a battery ever again. They pressure tested the watch and I couldn't fault them!

My local independent key cutter is a waste of space, his shop is closed more than its open and you have about a 1 in 5 chance of the key working once cut, never go near him now and I always shop local.

Edited by m3vert

I believe they are franchised and, like any service business, the service is only as good as the person you are dealing with. Their pricing seems a bit strange though and I am not convinced of the quality of some of their key blanks. I bought a new 5-lever deadlock and needed 6 extra keys but where they have been cut, chrome plating is flaking off and one won't work at all. I will pop back and I am sure they will sort it but it is a bit of a pain.

The staff are treated very well, the owner is very fore thinking, and has a very unusual management model which biases the staff.

goid to hear i did mention that i use my local one fairly regularly and have always been pleased with both work and service

Timpsons are one of a few companies good enough to recruit ex offenders and give them a chance.

Timpsons are one of a few companies good enough to recruit ex offenders and give them a chance.

Mr T has the most unusual management model, empowering and embracing, having the most robust anti bullying tactics, he trys to visit every shop every year to promote his ethos.

He has, over his life fostered over 90 children, I'm a management science buff, this guy breaks the mould on many levels. For such a large company, it's remarkable.

Mr T has the most unusual management model, empowering and embracing, having the most robust anti bullying tactics, he trys to visit every shop every year to promote his ethos.

He has, over his life fostered over 90 children, I'm a management science buff, this guy breaks the mould on many levels. For such a large company, it's remarkable.

I've met him and his son. They've both spoken at our events. Interesting guys.

One of the things they do that I really like is they will dry clean suits / clothes free of charge for any unemployed people going for interviews

I believe they are franchised and, like any service business, the service is only as good as the person you are dealing with. Their pricing seems a bit strange though and I am not convinced of the quality of some of their key blanks. I bought a new 5-lever deadlock and needed 6 extra keys but where they have been cut, chrome plating is flaking off and one won't work at all. I will pop back and I am sure they will sort it but it is a bit of a pain.

They are not a franchise. But local shop managers have complete flexibility on pricing - john's strong advice was to always negotiate with them