BASC welcomes EU firearms proposals

David,

Although I have voiced in the past that I am not a fan of BASC I can see that in recent weeks there has been a lot posted by yourself with the work BASC is doing. May I just ask some questions ?

Why the big shift ? Or should I ask why now ? Was BASC always doing this good work and we just never heard about it ?

Secondly, will EU fire arms legislation still impact upon the UK should we leave the union ?

I would say well done to BASC and it's nice to see some positive work being done for the shooting parties of the UK.

I am working hard with the other teams at BASC to try and improve communications with members and the broader shooting public on key issues that are important.

I recently asked our own research team to look into the key issues that members what to hear about, and based on this I am working with the press and media teams and indeed others to try to get the messages over about what BASC is doing and delivering on based on this research. Same level of work is going on, its just we are getting better at reporting it

As to what happens re Brexit, its likely that regardless of Brexit much of what happens in mainland Europe could have an impact on the UK, which is why its important that we keep on top of things in Europe and not loose site of this and focus only on the UK

David

"This final amended directive means that .22 rimfire rifles used for pest control in the UK will not be caught up in new restrictions"

What about those of us who use semi-auto 22lr for target or practical shooting?

Reading the press release it appears that they have just left .22 alone. So target shooting should be fine with semi-auto's

the bigger question that keeps on being asked but not answered is, what will be happening about section 1 shotguns?

as, in the eyes of the EU, they specifically fall under the centre fire umbrella.

and as for our friends on the continent, they are NOT happy.

have a look a Vicky ford's facebook page....

now we have got out, the eu should have nothing to do to what we can have,

...and the new EU rules will make zero difference to what the terrorists DO have!!

Another waste of tax-payers money & more punishment/restrictions heaped onto the already bureaucracy heavy burden of the rare beast that is the sporting-shooter/gun-collector.

Will the extra restrictions & hoops to jump through make even a minuscule difference to the crime figures & terrorist access?

Never seemed to be of any benefit in the UK, nor the even more restrictive part of said UK, NI - where ALL guns are on FAC yet the boys that want(ed) illegal guns can bring them in by the boatload.

“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results”

Edited by saddler

...and the new EU rules will make zero difference to what the terrorists DO have!!

Another waste of tax-payers money & more punishment/restrictions heaped onto the already bureaucracy heavy burden of the rare beast that is the sporting-shooter/gun-collector.

Will the extra restrictions & hoops to jump through make even a minuscule difference to the crime figures & terrorist access?

Never seemed to be of any benefit in the UK, nor the even more restrictive part of said UK, NI - where ALL guns are on FAC yet the boys that want(ed) illegal guns can bring them in by the boatload.

“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results”

Agreed a waste of time and money, all it will do is put more restrictions on lawful gun owners and make no difference to terrorists ability to obtain firearms.

the bigger question that keeps on being asked but not answered is, what will be happening about section 1 shotguns?

as, in the eyes of the EU, they specifically fall under the centre fire umbrella.

I'll be interested in learning how this effects S1 self loading shotguns too, as I have my eye on one presently and have the slot for it also. I sincerely hope their use in the UK has nt been sacrificed for the sake of damage limitation.....again. Edited by Scully

From what I can gather, MARS or lever release could be effected, but I can't find out if it is a definite yes or no. Also S1 shotguns are not differentiated as separate from firearms on the continent but all lumped together as centre-fire firearms, but as long as they don't have a detachable magazine capable of holding more than 21 rounds they should be ok. I stress this is NOT a certainty but reading between the lines practical shot gunners should be ok, bearing in mind the magazine criteria.

It is also worth staying that apparently the MEP ( I forget her name now) still didnt know what exactly the proposals entailed until an hour before voting took place, and had to admit to having to ask!

Dear All,

We are updating a Q&A document that I hope will cover most if not all key questions, I hope this will be on our website later this afternoon, as soon as it is I will post on here.

Have a look when its published and please don't be shy (I know you won't) to point out anything that you feel is missing or unclear

David

Full Q&A may not be out until Monday but here is an edited highlight covering one or two of the key questions asked thus far:

Will semi-automatic rifles and shotguns be banned or restricted?

The EU provision prohibits centrefire semi-automatic firearms, and loading devices (magazines), with one or more of the following characteristics:

a) semi-automatic long firearms (i.e. firearms that are originally intended to be fired from the shoulder) that can be reduced to a length of less than 60cm without losing functionality by means of a folding or telescoping stock.”

b) firearms which allow the firing of more than 21 rounds without reloading, if a loading device with a capacity exceeding 20 rounds is part of the firearm or is inserted into it.

In the UK for semi-automatic shotguns to be subject to Section 1 firearm certificate control they must have a minimum barrel length of 24 inches (60.96cm) and a minimum overall length of 40 inches (101.6cm).

For the purpose of calculating overall length; any detachable, retractable or other moveable butt-stock should be disregarded. Therefore Section 1 shotguns that conform to the UK criteria fall outside the EU provision unless their capacity exceeds 21 rounds.

Now call my cynical but, b) worries me :(

What about 22lr or centre fire rifles with 30 round mags such as straight pull variants of the AR types or those with lever/MARS/Button mechanisms?

There is no evidence that limiting a semi-auto or straight pull magazine to 20 rounds has any ability to reduce the amount or rate of fire.

Edited by phaedra1106

Firearms which allow the firing of more than 21 rounds without reloading will be placed into the prohibited category (EU Category A). They will however be permitted under the following conditions;

a) the target shooter participates in shooting competitions organised by an official shooting sport organisation recognised by a Member State or by an internationally established and officially recognised shooting sport federation; and

b) the target shooter is a member of a recognised shooting club, regularly practises target shooting and has been doing so for a t least twelve months.

Thanks David, that'll put quite a few minds to rest!

EDIT

Having re-read that it's actually not good, I missed the "and" between sections a & b. I know a lot of shooters who are members of clubs but don't shoot competitions.

Is there confirmation that these new conditions only apply to centre fire semi-auto firearms and not the straight pull/lever/MARS/button release action centre fire rifles or semi-auto 22lr that are currently legal to possess as section one firearms?

Edited by phaedra1106