A start on the stubbles

Whitebridges

I've been delighted to get out three days out of the last five. Not for full on sessions but a few hours here and there. The harvest is in full flow but lot's of interruptions due to the weather.

Day one:

Damp and cloudy but at least there was a bit of wind. I shot over some rape stubble which had been cut three days previously. Despite a really good start in the morning the birds dried up mid afternoon and i decided to quit.

Strange, normally i would expect the late afternoon to get better. Something was going on in the field behind with a lot of crashing and banging, maybe this was it?

I left the camera in the truck and by the time I packed up it was slashing it down. Picked 31.

Day two:

I was accompanied by a guy over from China. He loved it. He's done a bit of game shooting with us. So keen and eager. He was better than any labrador I can tell you ! Different field this time but OSR, severe lack of wind. Birds were not decoying properly. Shot a couple of decent ones at 75 and 81 paces ( dead on the ground distance to the hide). If there was ever a day for GB Pigeon Extreme 34g No 5 this was it.

Changed the pattern several times, turned off the whirlie, did the usual. They weren't decoying. Picked 33

Remembered the camera, :rolleyes: Here's about half of them before their mates got loaded.

stennets1.jpg

Day three.

Up to North Norfolk.Things to do on mothers allotment. Go in the truck then maybe grab a few hours in the afternoon. Shot three 'til five with minimal gear over barley stubble. This stuff was a poor crop, very green underneath. I walked off about 200 and it had been cut two days. Used six dead birds in cradles from earlier in the week. They bombed in. Shot 22 most of which were in the middle of the pattern.I used my Kemen K4 20 bore and Eley VIP 28g No 7, a joy to shoot.

A nice bit of scenery:

They came in straight through the gap in the hedge.

july2a.jpg

Highlight of the session was watching a hobby hawking the dragonflies. Stunning bird!

Nice to be tucked up in the shade on a nice comfy chair.

july1a.jpg

Three nice days out Whitebridges and a good report of your events, and I like your laid back approach to the sport.

I might well had been out the same days as you were out , the rained off days and decoy shy pigeons sound very similar , although two things I noticed in your post that wasn't the same was , I don't go in the mornings and I didn't take a Chinaman out with me , the nearest I got to that was leaving mine just after mid day and having Beef in Black Bean Sauce with all the veg when I got home , tell yer boi we live well down here :lol:

its great when you know where the birds are going to come in from...and you can get set up for that approach..........great pics and write up......like the pic of the "theatre"...gives people the sense of " i was there with you"....... :good::good:

Good write up and pics,three decent sessions,well done.. :good:

Cheers steveyg. :good:

Three nice days out Whitebridges and a good report of your events, and I like your laid back approach to the sport.

I might well had been out the same days as you were out , the rained off days and decoy shy pigeons sound very similar , although two things I noticed in your post that wasn't the same was , I don't go in the mornings and I didn't take a Chinaman out with me , the nearest I got to that was leaving mine just after mid day and having Beef in Black Bean Sauce with all the veg when I got home , tell yer boi we live well down here :lol:

:lol::lol: Funny coincidence, his name is Wai Yu Mun Ching !

Three more guys in the queue. Yu Stin Ki Pu , Dun Gai and Ho Lee ####. :)

its great when you know where the birds are going to come in from...and you can get set up for that approach..........great pics and write up......like the pic of the "theatre"...gives people the sense of " i was there with you"....... :good::good:

It's really nice when they come in like that, committed to the decoys, undercarriage down! Must have been 20/22 shot two feet off the ground. The previous two sessions they were all over the place mostly high crossers disinterested in dropping their landing gear.

We'll have a session when we get a minute ditchy.

Edited by Whitebridges

Cheers steveyg. :good:

:lol::lol: Funny coincidence, his name is Wai Yu Mun Ching !

Three more guys in the queue. Yu Stin Ki Pu , Dun Gai and Ho Lee ####. :)

I recon they find it harder to understand you than you understanding them Whitebridges , with you coming from deep in the sticks.

Come to think of it, there were 2 or 3 boys at our little school in the 50s with the same sort of names and they were from Suffolk :lol:

I recon they find it harder to understand you than you understanding them Whitebridges , with you coming from deep in the sticks.

Come to think of it, there were 2 or 3 boys at our little school in the 50s with the same sort of names and they were from Suffolk :lol:

:lol::lol:

Furriners do an 'orl especially when we're talking about hosses, mawkins, mawthers, pollywiggles and shannocks. :)

We mustn't be rude about those Suffolk boys. We had three at school that got through boarder control named, Swede, Dicka bor and Massey Ferguson 135. :lol:

Are you having a go again this week? We've got a good huff from the west on Wedsdee / Thursdee, hopefully it'll be dry.

Edited by Whitebridges

:lol::lol:

Furriners do an 'orl especially when we're talking about hosses, mawkins, mawthers, pollywiggles and shannocks. :)

We mustn't be rude about those Suffolk boys. We had three at school that got through boarder control named, Swede, Dicka bor and Massey Ferguson 135. :lol:

Are you having a go again this week? We've got a good huff from the west on Wedsdee / Thursdee, hopefully it'll be dry.

I had another little go this afternoon as they forecasted it to be dry for most of the daylight hours and wet tomorrow , at the moment we have only got barley stubble and a few peas that are going to be combined, and up to now there is no sign of any rape cut , talking to the farm manager Friday morning he was saying he should be on the rape today but that was before the heavy rain Friday and again Saturday and with more rain tomorrow I cant see it being cut till later on this week or even later.

Today started off well with two pigeons shot within a couple of minutes of being in the hide then things slowed up to the point where I was wondering weather to stay put or move on , but you know what its like , you get another one and you give it another 15 minutes , then one or two are on the move again and a bit of shooting start boasting your morale and all thoughts about moving on have disappeared .

One mistake I made was letting my dog go and pick the walking wounded and the ones that dropped well out as each one he brought in the hide made the little pile get bigger and bigger that attracted the Blue and Green bottles and before I turfed them out I recon half the pile was made up with flies .

Anyhow I gave it till about 6 0 clock and called it a day with a bag picked at 35 , not a huge bag but a nice afternoons sport in the long awaited sunshine and for once I didn't have to worry about getting stuck on the water logged stubble , and as a little bonus I managed to dry all my nets out that got soaked Saturday .

I had another little go this afternoon as they forecasted it to be dry for most of the daylight hours and wet tomorrow , at the moment we have only got barley stubble and a few peas that are going to be combined, and up to now there is no sign of any rape cut , talking to the farm manager Friday morning he was saying he should be on the rape today but that was before the heavy rain Friday and again Saturday and with more rain tomorrow I cant see it being cut till later on this week or even later.

Today started off well with two pigeons shot within a couple of minutes of being in the hide then things slowed up to the point where I was wondering weather to stay put or move on , but you know what its like , you get another one and you give it another 15 minutes , then one or two are on the move again and a bit of shooting start boasting your morale and all thoughts about moving on have disappeared .

One mistake I made was letting my dog go and pick the walking wounded and the ones that dropped well out as each one he brought in the hide made the little pile get bigger and bigger that attracted the Blue and Green bottles and before I turfed them out I recon half the pile was made up with flies .

Anyhow I gave it till about 6 0 clock and called it a day with a bag picked at 35 , not a huge bag but a nice afternoons sport in the long awaited sunshine and for once I didn't have to worry about getting stuck on the water logged stubble , and as a little bonus I managed to dry all my nets out that got soaked Saturday .

Rum 'ol weather. Lashing it down here at the minute. You did right to stay put. Steady shooting and 35 birds in the sack is nothing to be sneazed at.

There's always a lot of flies down near Yarmouth. It's all those strip clubs, pole dancing establishments and ***** horses on the marshes. :lol:

In the trendy part of the county the only trouble we get is the older birds playing with a young bucks zipper. So i'm told :)

I'm gorta have a go later in the week, you've spurred me on.

Mods please delete this extra "box"

Edited by Whitebridges

Good luck on your next attempt to reduce the pigeon population in the posh area of the county :good:

As for the flies , we now have a lot of alien species that came here without passports , in the mornings the hover around the food banks and in the afternoons they come and seek me out for another free meal on my pigeons :lol:

if you shoot 30 or so every session you can't complain :good:

That is something I never do is to complain , believe you me I get more than my fair share of small bags but at the moment we have got a nice lot of pigeons plus I have got the time and the land where they are at the moment . although over the next 2 or 3 weeks a lot of my upland shooting comes to a end due to the young game birds being put in the pens , but by then the rape and the wheat on the marshes should be cut , so when one door shut another one opens . :good:

Good luck on your next attempt to reduce the pigeon population in the posh area of the county :good:

As for the flies , we now have a lot of alien species that came here without passports , in the mornings the hover around the food banks and in the afternoons they come and seek me out for another free meal on my pigeons :lol:

:lol: Posh? There's them and us MM.

I hope they look after you, wash yer motor, an do what yew say boi :lol:

Good chance i'll have another look tomorrow or Thursday. I can do with a few hours in the hedgerow in god's county. :good: