River west advise please

badger.22cal

Hi, I've been looking at the river west eider jacket mostly for duck shooting in Derbyshire on wet marshy ground next to a river and the odd rough day up on bowes moor. Does anybody own this jacket ? Ild be interested in hearing people's thoughts or advice on this or any similar jacket in that price range. Thanks for reading.

Had and hated...didnt last long at all

Showerproof, didn't last a good Scottish soaking, zip gave up in no time.

Definitely wouldnt buy another or recommend to others

Not many jackets will stand up to a real Scottish soaking! Lol!

Whilst on a Scottish moor a year or two ago it bucketed down!......constantly all day! my (then new) Barbour endurance waterproof jacket leaked like the proverbial sieve!...it was returned to Barbour on my return, who I must say sorted a replacement, poste haste!

have couple river west jackets the top ranger one and smock type zips on ranger pockets went within months leaks if not kepy waterproofed doesnt let moisture /sweat out so quickly stinks ,if it was my money id be buying a ridgeline monsoon jacket ive one and rate it highly

I've had a FieldPro smock for a few years and wear it most of the time if I'm out foxing up a high seat... and for beating on the colder/wet days. A few years ago I was on Mull after Reds with a stalker wearing the lighter Hill Pro smock and it rained steadily all day, pee'ing it down at times. Both smocks were sodden by the end of the day and we were leaving puddles but we were still dry..... I was impressed. This could be down to generating just enough heat to keep the water out but at times we were laying in the wet stuff waiting for the right moment....

I'd say I probably wear it 95% of the time in preference to anything else and think it's important to wash and dry it properly to keep the waterproofing....... and I really like the larger hood of the FieldPro over the Hill Pro. I sold my mate my HillPro last year as he'd worn his out and I'd bought mine as a spare ... I bought another s'hand Field Pro in a camo pattern but that's still in the spares cupboard and doesn't look like its going to get used any time soon. The brownie gray of my other coat is very good when sat out..... with some coats, deer and foxes 'ping' you quite quickly but this seems to be just right.

ok it can be a bit boil in the bag on warm days so I just layer accordingly.

Cheers

Fizz

Keep ya money there ....! My mates all used to by the american stuff and it leaked and came apart after a season,why go down that road just for a brand....plenty good gear for a third of the price of rivers west!

Keep ya money there ....! My mates all used to by the american stuff and it leaked and came apart after a season,why go down that road just for a brand....plenty good gear for a third of the price of rivers west!

All the famous brand yank stuff is probably now 'made in China'?

You have to read Rivers West advertising blurb very carefully.

Many of the Rivers West garments are sold as "waterproof", which they certainly are - because the membrane they use is completely imperveous. It`s very good at keeping water out, and very good at keeping sweat vapour in.

They are not advertised as being "breathable."

Hence the popular name used by anyone who`s had to exert themselves in a Rivers West jacket, of "Rivers of Sweat."

The cuffs retain water and the zip WILL leak and it WILL break.

Don`t buy one, they are rubbish.

Edited by mudpatten

Lol that peer review just cheered me right up

You have to read Rivers West advertising blurb very carefully.

Many of the Rivers West garments are sold as "waterproof", which they certainly are - because the membrane they use is completely imperveous. It`s very good at keeping water out, and very good at keeping sweat vapour in.

They are not advertised as being "breathable."

Hence the popular name used by anyone who`s had to exert themselves in a Rivers West jacket, of "Rivers of Sweat."

The cuffs retain water and the zip WILL leak and it WILL break.

Don`t buy one, they are rubbish.

Do not be shy of trying one of the cheaper jackets. A few years ago I spent a lot of money on a redhead waterproof jacket and it was ok for one season , but then leaked like a sieve. Bought a cheap fleece waterproof jacket with no makers name on the tags. Six seasons its still 100% waterproof though the pockets are a bit torn. I wear it more than 100 days a year and it cost £38. It is getting a bit tatty now and looking for a new one , but £38 for 6 years use of heavy ware is pretty good value.

River's West were flavour of the month in Sporting Shooter and Fieldsports Britain and were fantastic, except for one tiny flaw - They weren't fantastic!!! As said, zips were cheap and nasty and so were pockets - I had a go at them as they came up in fatboy sizes, but the quality was fairly rubbish.

Seem to have disappeared apart from an occasional mention in a John Forsey advert