Brake fluid change

steve_b_wales

If you mess it up it can get very expensive. I know of a mate who had a mk4 golf he tried doing his brake fluid himself, he let the fluid level go too low in the master cylinder and subsequently got air in the abs system. Resulted in a trip to the dealers as they had to plug in their software to cycle the abs pump to purge the air out as you can't do it otherwise. Some dealers and independents have a menu price for a brake fluid change, when I last looked it was for a BMW and was only £45 at the dealers.

Has the car not been properly serviced by the dealer or garage or was it second hand and you've done it yourself? Can't be certain, but would be very surprised if tucked away in the servicing schedule this isn't specified on a frequency basis.

Very few cars, almost none after a certain age, get serviced according to the schedule. They just get put in for 'a service' and that is oil and filters and not much else . Things like changing the brake fluid, transmission fluid etc just gets ignored. At a lot of service centres they don't even check the fluid levels

Unless the garage is short of work of course.

Very few cars, almost none after a certain age, get serviced according to the schedule. They just get put in for 'a service' and that is oil and filters and not much else . Things like changing the brake fluid, transmission fluid etc just gets ignored. At a lot of service centres they don't even check the fluid levels

Unless the garage is short of work of course.

Think I'm getting old! :/

Fortunately, the owner of my local garage and I served the same apprenticeship so he knows what I expect.

Edit: PS If you're just changing the oil, check the fluid level first and if acceptable only refill to that level when finished. You'll find out why when you come to change the pads and it's nasty stuff.

Edited by wymberley

Has the car not been properly serviced by the dealer or garage or was it second hand and you've done it yourself? Can't be certain, but would be very surprised if tucked away in the servicing schedule this isn't specified on a frequency basis.

The vehicle was bought new by myself. Didn't take it to the Land Rover dealership for servicing, but had it done locally every year, purchasing L.R. parts, which enabled me to keep the warranty. The brake fluid was never changed, but probably only topped up if needed.

The best way to change the fluid is to use one of the pressurised kits. Alternatively you could use a Mityvac or similar vacuum pump. The pressure kits allow for simple one man operation. You can't go wrong with them.

The job itself is simple in theory, but you need to be able to sort out any problems that may arise. For example, what do you do if you shear off a bleed screw? You need to have the tools, knowledge and confidence to drill the old screw out if needed. Until you get a replacement the car cannot be driven.

Using tghe old two person method with ine loosening the bleed screws and the other pressing the pedal can cause problems. Master cylinder seals can flip, ABS modules can airlock etc. The cost of a proper tool to do the job as well as the brake fluid itself would be roughly £50 in most garages.

for 'one off' jobs like this i always price the bits and my time, my usual conclusion is for the extra few quid i may as well take it to a dealers!

I had to replace the bulb in our Audi..... the bulb was £30 odd, supply and fit at Audi was £34.

Rear Pads needed a caliper rewind tool, so with the cost of that and me faffing around i let the local mechanic do it (i supplied the (brembo) pads as they wanted a fortune for them)

On a side note maybe we need a directory of PW members who are handy with spanners and want a bit of beer money of a weekend / evening?

Edited by ph5172

Never had brake failure due to brake fluid not been changed failure caused by over heating the brakes mostly because a calliper or cylinder was seized .Brake fluid change was never a practice carried out years ago just saying like :oops::hmm:

Back in the early 70s I had a proper Rover in which I hurtled around Europe. Not only did the servicing schedule include periodic brake fluid change but also the cylinder seals.

Didn't state it wasn't in service schedule just hardly ever carried out and when I served my time in BLMC garage we never changed any seal unless they leaked.Having said that we constantly replaced leaking brake cylinders so the fluid did get topped up with new stuff in around about way :lol:

Didn't state it wasn't in service schedule just hardly ever carried out and when I served my time in BLMC garage we never changed any seal unless they leaked.Having said that we constantly replaced leaking brake cylinders so the fluid did get topped up with new stuff in around about way :lol:

Ah, should have paid more attention to the smileys,perhaps. :good:

Land Rover tried to "sell" me a brake fluid change at the three year service, I pointed out that the car had only done 25k miles and they reluctantly agreed that it wasn't really necessary.

I've since had the car serviced by an independent who's never suggested this as an option.

I'm guessing that it's a manufacturer's ploy to get their dealers more business at service time. That or an *** covering exercise on their own behalf "just in case".

Edit:

*** = a close relative to a donkey.

Edited by Chris Bb

Regular brake fluid changes will lengthen the serviceable life of calipers, drum brake cylinders and hydraulic clutch slave cylinders (providing they share the same reservoir and are bled at the same time). Your 8 year old brake fluid may still be working and stopping the vehicle, but it will definitely not be anywhere near as efficient as new fluid. Because it absorbs water, it loses it's ability to deal with the heat generated by braking. This results in brake fade during heavy braking, and assists with the formation of corrosion within the braking system.