PPI

Mungler

So, I was out at dinner with an old chum and he mentioned that he had downloaded all the PPI claim forms off the internet (the precedent suggested form from the money saving expert website) and had had a stab at a PPI claim.

He said he couldn't remember anything about anything but recalled that at some point in his teens he had had a car loan. Long story short, he sent out a scatter gun of claim letters to every card / account he ever had and a reply from MBNA rolled in with a cheque for £3,500.

I too had a car loan or two when I was a teenager (we are talking 25+ years ago) and so I thought I too would give it a spin.

Just got back today from a short break in Somerset to find a letter from Lloyds confirming that I am due a £3500 rebate. The PPI element is negligible but the rolled up interest over 25 years makes all the difference. Indeed, the rebate is more than the loan was at the time.

So, anyone who has ever had a loan, get those letters out.

So, I was out at dinner with an old chum and he mentioned that he had downloaded all the PPI claim forms off the internet (the precedent suggested form from the money saving expert website) and had had a stab at a PPI claim.

He said he couldn't remember anything about anything but recalled that at some point in his teens he had had a car loan. Long story short, he sent out a scatter gun of claim letters to every card / account he ever had and a reply from MBNA rolled in with a cheque for £3,500.

I too had a car loan or two when I was a teenager (we are talking 25+ years ago) and so I thought I too would give it a spin.

Just got back today from a short break in Somerset to find a letter from Lloyds confirming that I am due a £3500 rebate. The PPI element is negligible but the rolled up interest over 25 years makes all the difference. Indeed, the rebate is more than the loan was at the time.

Any link to the application forms?

I sat in the kitchen 18 months ago filling out a form when my mother came round " what are you doing she asked " claiming back som PPI I told her .she just laughed and said "don't be stupid "

She didn't laugh when over £12000 landed in the bank from over 27 years ago most of it was made up of interest

I even got the PPI on a set of Brest implants i paid for with a loan for a past girlfriend years ago ( I knew I would have the last laugh )

Now tell me a better PPI story

Deershooter

I sat in the kitchen 18 months ago filling out a form when my mother came round " what are you doing she asked " claiming back som PPI I told her .she just laughed and said "don't be stupid "

She didn't laugh when over £12000 landed in the bank from over 27 years ago most of it was made up of interest

I even got the PPI on a set of Brest implants i paid for with a loan for a past girlfriend years ago ( I knew I would have the last laugh )

Now tell me a better PPI story

Deershooter

You Sir win the internet today :lol:

The simple letter template I followed is below.

Obviously, if anyone strikes gold, then a modest 5% to yours truly seems appropriate.....

0_zpsomey7did.png

0_zpsp5z1g9mm.png

When I wrote in I could remember the name of the providers and by googling 'xxxx bank ppi contact details' there is the contact address for every lender out there - the main ones are listed on a couple of the self help forums.

If you can't remember who you got finance with but know which bank you were with at the time (and from where the loan repayment direct debits were taken) then you can make a FOI request to that institution and ask for all your records - it's a back door to getting copies of all your bank statements inside of 28 days and for a fixed sum of £20.

From your main back account statements you will find when / how much / with who etc.

I didn't bother doing that and with no references just fired off letters detailing my full name and the periods at which I was at previous addresses (with post codes) so the financial institutions can do a historic name / address check and find my details for me.

Worst case you can use an agency but they'll want 30% and it really is a matter of a couple of £20 FOI requests, a few stamps and some patience.

For me it has absolutely been 'free money' and I am going to blow the lot.

I'm £3500 nearer to that AC Cobra the wife won't let me have...

Loads of people slated them, same as the personal injury claims.

Soon as they're on the receiving end and get a few quid in your pockets they're the best thing since sliced bread 😂

I worked as a rep doing PI claims for a few years , people shout abuse at you one week then come running as soon as they have something and think they're going to get a nice big payments. Used to love sending them away because they didn't have a genuine injury.

Loads of people slated them, same as the personal injury claims.

Soon as they're on the receiving end and get a few quid in your pockets they're the best thing since sliced bread

I worked as a rep doing PI claims for a few years , people shout abuse at you one week then come running as soon as they have something and think they're going to get a nice big payments. Used to love sending them away because they didn't have a genuine injury.

These people are going direct. Not paying leeches to send a letter on their behalf.

These people are going direct. Not paying leeches to send a letter on their behalf.

Like to see someone sue an insurance company direct at no personal cost what so ever next time then 🙄

Until you have a solicitor involved they just fob you off because you are pretty much powerless.

The point is that even if you wanted PPI you are still entitled to a reclaim because odds on:

1. You were sold an over enflated policy you could have got for a fraction of the cost elsewhere e.g. From a proper insurance broker

2. The policy you were sold probably wouldn't have paid out had you actually ever made a claim - classic selling umbrellas when the sun shines and taking them away when it rains

So, even if you asked for PPI, fill your boots - you were probably shafted anyway, you just don't know it.

The point is that even if you wanted PPI you are still entitled to a reclaim because odds on:

1. You were sold an over enflated policy you could have got for a fraction of the cost elsewhere e.g. From a proper insurance broker

2. The policy you were sold probably wouldn't have paid out had you actually ever made a claim - classic selling umbrellas when the sun shines and taking them away when it rains

So, even if you asked for PPI, fill your boots - you were probably shafted anyway, you just don't know it.

What I paid fore was grossly inflated do I not still have a rite to play with them ? Edited by deershooter

Just rang my dad after reading all this and mentioned our old business bank . He said we always said no to ppi but will try them anyway as you never can trust the bank.

I've also been thinking about all my bike loans :)

that's the thing, you can't always trust them, I remember a few years back I got a small loan from black horse finance, I specifically told them I didn't want ppi but they still added it on,

only problem is I used it after I had my heart op, I still owe them a bit on the loan as they only made payments for a limited time period.

• 3 months later...

Same as you mate,

Just got £6,500 for nowt, apart from a few letters and a bit of time( well the wife's time),

Flynny

well, I recalled two car loans for 4k each back in the mid 90s, it was with Lloyds. So I took the advice on here and made a claim.

I gave the addresses I lived at in a 5 year period, I gave the branch address, I gave the name of the manager at the time, I clearly remember the ppi being put up front on both loans, and clearly remember the manager telling me I had to have it, I also have an unusual surname, so harder for name mix ups,

I got a letter back saying, no records of any loan to me, and that I should consider the letter, their final response.

a big waste of time for me, I cant be bothered to pursue it anymore.

Edited by wandringstar