Remembrance

Doc Holliday

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it your intention to appear to be a smart a**?

I don't think he can help himself, if the truth be known. He reminds me of my brother. He's an arrogant, condescending ***** who tries to talk down to people, wbich is probably why I've never really taken to him.

I think the real issue is that I didn't use words of one syllable or less so he could easily follow my point.

If you really want me to spell it out for you flashman then pm me and I'll be happy to accommodate.

Many a year I've not stopped but that's because when I'm rushing to finish a job I'll forget the date let alone the time.

I sat in my van today as I was on my own and remembered. Radio 1 announced the 2 minutes .

Afterwards I carried on working.

This Sunday my boy is in the local parade with beavers and we will all stand with each other as we do every year.

Am I'm saying is just because we carry on, it doesn't mean we don't care or think about the fallen. ;)

The guy that used to work for me chose not to stop. I asked him why ??? Why don't you come with us every year to the church ???

He started crying . He said he would like to forget .

He was blown up twice in Ireland and his mates were killed. His uncles all died in WW2 .

Is this stopping at 11 something fairly new. I can't ever remember it being done in the years immediately after the 2nd WW or during the following 50 years.

First I heard of it was 20'ish years ago. I too think it most unfair to deamonise those who don't follow, what is, a relatively modern happening.

Is this stopping at 11 something fairly new. I can't ever remember it being done in the years immediately after the 2nd WW or during the following 50 years.

First I heard of it was 20'ish years ago. I too think it most unfair to deamonise those who don't follow, what is, a relatively modern happening.

Yes you are probably right...I can recall however my parents and neighbours observing the armistice back in the 60's.

I can't ever recall not observing a minutes silence, but when and why did it become two?

I am always the only one at work wearing a poppy, but have never felt the need to query why no one else does; and I too agree with the sentiment above; those who died did so, so we had the freedom to choose.

I without fail buy four poppies each year; one for each of my family; it is then up to them to decide whether they want to wear one or not. I was mildly disgruntled on watching the news to see a classroom of junior school children all wearing poppies and standing to attention during the minutes silence.

I read this forum a lot , but never like to post as everything seems to end in a feud.

I read the O/P this morning, TBH read it the wrong way and was fuming , made myself late for work, in attemp to vent my annoyance - posted it, than pulled it a minute later after i had reflected what i had done.

This day should be about remembrance , nothing more-nothing less - respectiful and dignified.

So nearly to succumbed to my own feelings this morning until I remembered this -

In 1984 i was 17 , it was Friday and was out shopping down Asda, when my eye was drawn to an Old Soldier in his Red Livery selling Poppy's .

I went over to him said Hello, reached in to my back pocket and all i had was a Twenty pound note.

Went to try to put it in his collection box , he grabbed my hand then held it firm to stop me, and looked me deep in my eyes and said 'Son are you sure you can afford it?' i almost had to force him to accept it.

I felt very emotional , and extremely humble, and the feelings have never faded and indeed never will, He was there this morning, fresh in my mind , this is why I remember and will always wear my Poppy with pride.