Cheeky buyer's

Dougy

I always am over honest with things I sell and price them accordingly... however you still get the chancers! Had someone turn up for a gun that we'd spoken about on the phone, I'd had 3 offers on the phone for the asking price however I'd said that the guy had been the first to contact me so he gets first refusal, the gun was mint and I mean mint, I'd told him not to turn up without the asking price but he still tried to knock the cost of the fuel for travelling up!!!!!! Nope it is what it is and I told you that on the phone... he paid in full...

I had a motor bike up for sale on the dreaded evil bay, it was my pride and joy and was mint, guy comes and offers me silly money, I declined but told him as he's local if I get any better offers I'll let him know... two days later he bought the bike for 1500 pound more than he offered as he knew he wouldn't find a better one, silly really as if he was more sensible I'd of taken a 1000 more than he offered but it cost him another 500 to secure it...

I don't mind haggling but if something is priced fairly in the first place why bother...

Tedly

Edited by Tedly47

We all aim to buy as cheaply as we can and we all aim to sell for as much as we can get...........a successful purchase/sale will lie somewhere in between!

No one is forced to accept any offer lower than the asking price and no purchaser will pay above the value they puts on the item! but you can't critisise someone for making an offer, even a silly one!.......you can always say no!....if it's overpriced your unlikely to move it anyway...........the market decides!

If the asking price is fair someone will pay it............it's just a question of how long you are prepared to wait?

Its odd isnt it that people will turn up at your house and just because they have made the journey expect you to roll over. On the flip side the other day a chap came up to buy my HW 60J ,17 HMR, looked at it liked it and got me to take him to the local cash point and paid the asking price straight off absolute pleasure to deal with.

I do personally get fed up with haggleing for guns, I put on at a price after checking gun trader and the like thats fair why some people believe you suddenly then want to knock 20% -50% off that price I dont know. Its even worse when they think you have some obligation to drop the price just because they have travelled a distance to see it!

I am that very chap and what a lovely gun it is too. 3 bullets in the same hole at 100 metres. thanks very much for your help.

I've sold loads of guns over the years, I've now started saying it's £££ and that's what the price is, please don't waste your time turning up and offering less as I won't accept.. seems to have done the trick as the tyre kickers have stopped turning up offering £750 for a £1200 rifle..

I remember when I was selling a browning maxus for £650, it was a steal for the guy who did buy it but I needed the cash fast as I was getting divorced, some bloke turned up and offered me £400 after I told him why I was selling, I said not a chance and he walked out of my house saying " don't come begging me later on"....I sold it that afternoon for the asking price to a nice chap off here... some real idiots about

I've sold loads of guns over the years, I've now started saying it's £££ and that's what the price is, please don't waste your time turning up and offering less as I won't accept.. seems to have done the trick as the tyre kickers have stopped turning up offering £750 for a £1200 rifle..

I remember when I was selling a browning maxus for £650, it was a steal for the guy who did buy it but I needed the cash fast as I was getting divorced, some bloke turned up and offered me £400 after I told him why I was selling, I said not a chance and he walked out of my house saying " don't come begging me later on"....I sold it that afternoon for the asking price to a nice chap off here... some real idiots about

You sold that too cheap, think the lad that got that works at a clay shoot. Bet you never put 200 cartridges through it

Edited by reggiegun

People just don't know how to haggle in this country. It is *fine* to negociate a price, but there are rules.

+ First you need to be genuinely ready to pay the full price

+ Negociate on *real* issues you find. Or for example if you buy two items

+ Once price is agreed, it's *agreed*. There's nothing worse than someone who renege on his handshake

+ Pay promptly, be polite and friendly, and courteous. A bit of banter is fine, as long as it's respectful...

I like a bit of haggling, if it's fair both ways!

I just sold my Toyota Hilux recently and the guy came up to Newcastle from London to buy it. Before he came I told him I wanted the asking price and not to waste his time travelling if he wasn't prepared to pay it, anyway he came and still tried to haggle but it got him no where as I was in no rush to sell it but I wasn't offended as it is exactly what I would have done, he was also quite funny and it was all taken in fun, I suppose its one of those if you don't ask you don't get

I just sold my Toyota Hilux recently and the guy came up to Newcastle from London to buy it. Before he came I told him I wanted the asking price and not to waste his time travelling if he wasn't prepared to pay it, anyway he came and still tried to haggle but it got him no where as I was in no rush to sell it but I wasn't offended as it is exactly what I would have done, he was also quite funny and it was all taken in fun, I suppose its one of those if you don't ask you don't get

That, really. If it's done with good manners and with a bit of banter, it's actually quite fun really.

However I agree with everyone else that if someone turns up /after/ it was agreed and try to wiggle out of the deal, I'd rather lose money than sell.

Happened with the house we bought a few years back -- seller was 'including' all sort of furniture we really didn't care about; and once I got down to business using the full survey we had that demonstrated work had to be done on the outside walls, somehow the guy tried to 'offset' his 'furniture' against what we were trying to discount on the property...

I thought what I was doing was perfectly fair - I wasn't making stuff up, a surveryor did -, and just told the agent that I was dropping the case as I wasn't interested in haggling over a dreadful sofa.

Ultimately it was all patched up, but I would have easily walked on just that business.

I'm selling a few guns and mate has uthree times offered me £300 for a Leoupold 'scope and then the following morning handed me 100 and asked how much I wanted for it! I reminded him he'd offered me 300. He's just been on the 'phone to ask me when we can meet as he has another 150 for me! I know exactly what he's intending. He is counting on the fact I will just accept it, and that I wont question he's just decided to give me 250 in total. He is wrong. We may fall out. :)

When that happens to me and they keep asking the price keeps going up its amazing how fast there memory returns and tell you but it was only so so last time,,

then its so why did you ask then..

People just don't know how to haggle in this country. It is *fine* to negociate a price, but there are rules.

+ First you need to be genuinely ready to pay the full price

+ Negociate on *real* issues you find. Or for example if you buy two items

+ Once price is agreed, it's *agreed*. There's nothing worse than someone who renege on his handshake

+ Pay promptly, be polite and friendly, and courteous. A bit of banter is fine, as long as it's respectful...

I like a bit of haggling, if it's fair both ways!

That, really. If it's done with good manners and with a bit of banter, it's actually quite fun really.

However I agree with everyone else that if someone turns up /after/ it was agreed and try to wiggle out of the deal, I'd rather lose money than sell.

Happened with the house we bought a few years back -- seller was 'including' all sort of furniture we really didn't care about; and once I got down to business using the full survey we had that demonstrated work had to be done on the outside walls, somehow the guy tried to 'offset' his 'furniture' against what we were trying to discount on the property...

I thought what I was doing was perfectly fair - I wasn't making stuff up, a surveryor did -, and just told the agent that I was dropping the case as I wasn't interested in haggling over a dreadful sofa.

Ultimately it was all patched up, but I would have easily walked on just that business.

This!

I sell for a living and Negotiating is the most fun part of the job. People get far too emotional when they're not offered the asking price. If its a good price already then why haggle, but if you don't ask you don't get, keep it friendly and good natured and can be surprising what it get's you.

When prospective client tells me I'm too expensive it just opens the door for a further conversation, if they're friendly and polite I'm much more likely to move a bit and get a deal over the line. If I get a load of procurement ******** and the old, 'your no where near' there's much less chance. If the numbers don't stack up regardless of who it is, its not happening.

Whenever I buy any bigger ticket item, shooting/bike stuff. cars etc. If I cant get a discount I ask what else they may be able to throw in. Retailers especially don't expect it but they have margin in the main item I'm buying to throw in some 'free stuff' that I probably would have bought at another time anyway.

No harm in asking, the worst you'll get is a no.

This!

I sell for a living and Negotiating is the most fun part of the job. People get far too emotional when they're not offered the asking price. If its a good price already then why haggle, but if you don't ask you don't get, keep it friendly and good natured and can be surprising what it get's you.

When prospective client tells me I'm too expensive it just opens the door for a further conversation, if they're friendly and polite I'm much more likely to move a bit and get a deal over the line. If I get a load of procurement ******** and the old, 'your no where near' there's much less chance. If the numbers don't stack up regardless of who it is, its not happening.

Whenever I buy any bigger ticket item, shooting/bike stuff. cars etc. If I cant get a discount I ask what else they may be able to throw in. Retailers especially don't expect it but they have margin in the main item I'm buying to throw in some 'free stuff' that I probably would have bought at another time anyway.

No harm in asking, the worst you'll get is a no.

As my old MD said " real selling starts with the first "no""

Sometimes you have to admire a mans cheek. I inherited my fathers webley&scott 700 ejector when he started to get problems with dementia, it had a bit of headache so took it to the local RFD to see if it was worth fixing. Most definitely he said as the guns worth £1500 so I paid to have it sorted, later I decided to sell it to the very same RFD who informed me it was only worth about £300. I told he no, he did me a big favour as the old chap passed three years ago and I'm glad to still be using the gun.

• 3 weeks later...

many years ago i adverticed a landrover safari on auto trader i only wanted £1200 guy rang up on the saturday can we come and see the landy and said would i mind if the family and dogs came along well he turned up on time with his wife and 3 large kids and two of the biggest st bernard dogs you have ever seen asked if they could all come on the test drive

i was trying to sell so you cant say no he didant want to drive so i did and after only about 2 miles he said lets go back and talk money

we got back and he said whats your best price for cash now i said make me an offer and then out of the blue he said £2000 and started to count the money on the bonnet of the landy

i took the £2000 and they drove off happy and one of the sons drove their car

AUTO TRADER HAD MISS PRINTED THE ASKING PRICE AND STATED £2200 SO EVERY ONE WAS HAPPY

Edited by 2sledge