Old Speckled Hen,

TaxiDriver

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prefer the hobgoblin range myself! Old speckled hen in the bottle was ok! But in tins it's a different taste I find. And I don't like it :no:

The only ale I found that tastes ok in a tin, was Hobgoblin? Also found B&M selling a 4 pack for under £4

Bargain :D

Edited by Lord Geordie

Not being an 'ale' drinker I'm not going to know any difference in the bottled V tinned taste.

I'm more a fruit cider or fizzy sweet cider or Tsingtao, Cobra lager man given the option.

In fact, fair to say my drinking choice is largely governed by the '3 for a £5 offers in Morrisons :lol:

Edited by TaxiDriver

Ordered my Xmas beer last week from my local micro, FFF.

10 litres for £32...£1.80 pint

I'm not a macho man....10+ pints of junk beer a night.

2 or at most 3 pints of quality beer (4%) of an evening will last me a week.

In my opinion, Triple fff make the best beer in the UK.

Their 'ordinary' bitter, Altons Pride is the most delightful session beer.

The 'best' bitter, Mondance, is one of the nicest beers you will ever drink.

Their mild is the real show-stopper though. An amazing combination of sweetness and interest, in a low-alcohol and moreish ale that is just so addictive. It's got a ruddy stupid name though - a pint of Pressed Rat and Warthog, anybody? :lol:

Old Speckled Hen on draft is an insult to the name. When it was brewed independently, it was a big broad and flavoursome ale, and worthy of its many accolades. It has been sucked-up and knocked down by two(?) takeovers, and is now just a brand.

It's OK in a bottle, slightly chilled, but it's not the beer it was.

LS

Not being an 'ale' drinker I'm not going to know any difference in the bottled V tinned taste.

I'm more a fruit cider or fizzy sweet cider or Tsingtao, Cobra lager man given the option.

In fact, fair to say my drinking choice is largely governed by the '3 for a £5 offers in Morrisons :lol:

Well that at least includes the excellent Staropramen 660ml

Old Speckled Hen on draft is an insult to the name. When it was brewed independently, it was a big broad and flavoursome ale, and worthy of its many accolades. It has been sucked-up and knocked down by two(?) takeovers, and is now just a brand.

Unfortunately that's the case for so many previously small brewery real ales.

To my mind, beer doesn't "travel" and is designed to be made from local water with local ingredients for local tastes. Even changing the water from, from instance, soft Cornish water to hard Burton water has to affect the whole character of the beer (Doom Bar take note).

In my opinion, Triple fff make the best beer in the UK.

Their 'ordinary' bitter, Altons Pride is the most delightful session beer.

The 'best' bitter, Mondance, is one of the nicest beers you will ever drink.

Their mild is the real show-stopper though. An amazing combination of sweetness and interest, in a low-alcohol and moreish ale that is just so addictive. It's got a ruddy stupid name though - a pint of Pressed Rat and Warthog, anybody? :lol:

It's OK in a bottle, slightly chilled, but it's not the beer it was.

LS

Yes, 10 litres of Moondance it is + a 5 litre of Comfortably Numb for Xmas Day with my son.

Unfortunately that's the case for so many previously small brewery real ales.

To my mind, beer doesn't "travel" and is designed to be made from local water with local ingredients for local tastes. Even changing the water from, from instance, soft Cornish water to hard Burton water has to affect the whole character of the beer (Doom Bar take note).

I'm sure they are reading this with great interest! :lol:

As an ex Londoner the finest ale was independent brewer Young's of Wandsworth. However, the takeover by Greene King destroyed the Special bitter and Winter Warmer. I changed allegiance to Fuller's of Chiswick and theirs is my go to ale in the offy followed by Wychwood. A very pleasant afternoon and evening was spent a few years ago in the Fuller's brewery and various hostelries along the Thames on a PW trip organised by GaryB.

A very pleasant afternoon and evening was spent a few years ago in the Fuller's brewery and various hostelries along the Thames on a PW trip organised by GaryB.

Indeed it was. I don't remember most of it very well :drinks:

I have always liked Pride, my work local still does the best pint I have ever tasted (ironically including the brewery) but I quite Oliver's Island for a change now and again too.

The lengths some people will go to in the name of research is commendable! To give greater insight i think you need to try all ales on offer in cans

Ok, I also did Bombardier! Smooth and a nice taste from the draught, canned was like licking a dirty window! Bottled wasn't the same as draught either!

Newcastle brown ale is offensive in tins as opposed to bottles!

And as I have said, plenty ales I have tried in different forms of delivery vessel have been far from enjoyable from the can. I would rather spend the time sucking diesel through a syphoning hose :P

Edited by Lord Geordie