Unusual Patents

Feltwad

The history of the gun saw many patents registered at the Patent House most were at the lattter part of the percussion era and the early breech loader enclosed are images of just a couple which may be of interest to members .

Feltwad

Jeffries patent side open pinfire notice the patent for the barrels to slide open

P1010016_zpstad6lolp.jpg

Jeffries Patent side opening pinfirre breech loader

P1010018_zps8fv3lagg.jpg

The muzzle barrel end showing the 3 barrels of Joseph Childs Patent 3 barrel percusion gun

P1010008_zpsy0oi3a9d.jpg

The breech section Josh Childs Patent 3 barrel percussion gun

P1010006_zps2rspz1af.jpg

Joseph Childs Patent 3 barrel gun

P1010001_zpsingfntei.jpg

Edited by Feltwad

Thanks, fw - I was busy yesterday, so only just seen these.

Hmmmm...

The three-barrel jobbie looks a brute, and the side-opening pinfire gun looks like an accident waiting to happen: "slide the barrels past the hammers, with the primer pins exposed - what could possibly go wrong?"

Wonder how many were sold?

Edited by CaptainBeaky

Thanks, fw - I was busy yesterday, so only just seen these.

Hmmmm...

The three-barrel jobbie looks a brute, and the side-opening pinfire gun looks like an accident waiting to happen: "slide the barrels past the hammers, with the primer pins exposed - what could possibly go wrong?"

Wonder how many were sold?

Although Jeffries patent was in the pinfire period he did carry on making guns with this patent to the centre fire hammer gun , for how many were made I donot think a lot but they are part of our gun history.

Feltwad

Certainly interesting - some of these old mechanisms were ingenious, especially considering the tools available at the time.

Here's a little side opening breech loader I made many years ago - It's a loose copy of a Colt No 3. HERE

and just to show there's still some life in those old ideas.

Here's a "Harmonica gun" designed by J. Browning (father of J. M. Browning) in the early 1800's HERE

and here's my 5 shot muzzle loading target pistol that works exactly the same.

th_20160819_165025_zpsmclx5j27.jpg

Thanks for posting those; there were so many ideas that just 'fizzled out'. I suppose that most were just not as good as the ideas that 'lived on', but I do wonder with modern precision machining, things might have evolved differently. For those interested, the three volume set by Ian Crudgington & David Baker "The British Shotgun" contains a wealth of carefully researched detail, and is a comprehensive look at the gun's evolutionary progress.

Hi felt wad

Was the top barrel rifled

I see it's a smaller bore

All the best

Of

Happy new year to you and your family

It is a small calibre but it is only smooth bore cannot see any signs that it has been rifled but some were rifled . I do have a copy of the patent drawings somewhere in my files .All the best to you and family for 2017

Feltwad

Edited by Feltwad

Looks like the hammer for the top barrel is attached to the right hand hammer. Does it fire with the right hand barrel? Looks from the pic that the top hammer may be able to swivel across, is it an option to fire the lower barrels first and then re-cock the right hand hammer to fire the top barrel? What is the trigger arrangement?

Thanks for posting those; there were so many ideas that just 'fizzled out'. I suppose that most were just not as good as the ideas that 'lived on'

Herein lies the fascination - the ideas that didn't catch on, the ones that seemed like a good idea at the time, and the ones that would have worked using today's techniques and materials.

Please keep on posting this stuff, Feltwad :)

Looks like the hammer for the top barrel is attached to the right hand hammer. Does it fire with the right hand barrel? Looks from the pic that the top hammer may be able to swivel across, is it an option to fire the lower barrels first and then re-cock the right hand hammer to fire the top barrel? What is the trigger arrangement?

That is correct the hammer nose for the middle barrel is able to turn allowing to fire the bottom barrel first. If you look close at the image you will see on the standing breech behind the middle hammer what remains of a folding V sight for the middle barrel

Feltwad

Very interesting post thank you.

Herein lies the fascination - the ideas that didn't catch on, the ones that seemed like a good idea at the time, and the ones that would have worked using today's techniques and materials.

Please keep on posting this stuff, Feltwad :)

Exactly don't forget we stopped making over and unders for a while as they didn't work looks like the 1900s fixed that ok.

That is correct the hammer nose for the middle barrel is able to turn allowing to fire the bottom barrel first. If you look close at the image you will see on the standing breech behind the middle hammer what remains of a folding V sight for the middle barrel

Feltwad

I see now. Hadn't appreciated that the top barrel was a rifle barrel. The V sight also explains why the nipple is offset to the right.