17hmr cleaning rod

Michael Scotland

Hi sorry to go off topic but how often do you clean your barrels on the hmr? Never done mine didn't think you had to clean rim fire barrels

I clean mine when it's accuracy starts dropping off. Usually kg12 I think it's called on a rod, leave it to soak for a bit then patch out and it'd good to go. 5 shots to foul it and jobs a goodun

Don't rod and brush it you will regret it just a bore snake I know from previous experience

i "rod and brush" mine after every use and have done with all my rimfires past and present,except the .22 which only gets a patch,and have never had any problems with accuracy or having to run them back in

Not cleaning properly can be worse, in some instances, than not cleaning at all. But not very many.

I've seen people cleaning from Crown to chamber. Cleaning with no bore guide in place. Holding the rod, not the handle.

Personally I think bore snakes, in anything other than a shotgun, are a complete waste of time. If I'm having to soak a bore repeatedly in solvent with a nylon brush and then patch through with cotton to clean a bore thoroughly then a bit of gammy rope and a handful of bristles isn't going to even come close to competing.

By not cleaning all you are doing is creating a perfect environment for moisture to sit in your bore and cause problems in the future, although, rimfire rifles could be treated as disposable I guess?

Every time a copper jacketed bullet runs through your bore it leaves behind microscopic traces of copper, which is then followed up by baked on carbon from the propellant. Left alone this will in time create a dagwood sandwich effect of fouling that will affect accuracy and barrel life.

Like many others I found the combination of Patch Out and Patch Out Accelerator to be most effective on removing stubborn fouling, although you may have to leave it sit for several hours and repeat to remove almost all fouling.

Everyone has their own beliefs on the subject of cleaning though, I clean after each and every use.

Edited by mick miller

I've got a one piece tetra rod for mine, not too impressed to be honest and now just boresnake. First one wasn't drilled straight for the jag! The one I have now is getting a wear patch on one side at the end of the rod so presumably is rubbing the bore and it's not uncommon to punch the jag straight through the patch. That's even after running the snake through it. Always feels dry no matter what I use (bore foam, tetra, kg)

Am I doing it wrong or is it the tools?

i use a pull through with patch soaked with kg12,never used rods,never have any accuracy issues,dont like the idea of pushing a rod up and down the inside of a bore,a patch on the end of a length of weed whacker line pulled through dozen or so times works for me,had a hmr,now have 223,can hit a thumb tack head at 100 yards using 55 grain hornady v max.