Reborn British Steel now profitable

AVB

20% lower value of the pound probably has something to do with it. The economy isn't doing well because everyone's delighted with brexit, it's because the pound has tanked!

So what? The pound being low has winners and losers. I am sure the winners aren't complaining.

My holidays are going to cost more though this year.

So what? The pound being low has winners and losers. I am sure the winners aren't complaining.

Indeed, winners and losers.

People who are really struggling won't be effected so much because they can't afford a foreign holiday (not a dig mate).

Some might struggle with food or other stuff going up though, swings and round abouts. What's good for some with be bad for others.

I have not had a proper holiday for over ten years so I could not give a toss about other people having to pay more for there holidays all that they have got to do is stay in our beautiful country who needs sun anyway rain is good for you washes the cobwebs away.

My comment on holidays came across badly. It wasn't meant to. As for food going up surely people should be buying local produce that surely wouldn't be impacted by the devaluing of the pound!

The reason for my original post was to highlight the good news re British Steel (including the renaming of it back to British Steel) that seems to have been missed by many. Even if some of their success is due to the pound devaluing. Not all of it is though.

Is the devaluing of the pound just a scare story quoted by bremainers? For every loser there will be a winner and it may ultimately drive us all to consume more home produced goods.

Again discuss.

My comment on holidays came across badly. It wasn't meant to. As for food going up surely people should be buying local produce that surely wouldn't be impacted by the devaluing of the pound!

The reason for my original post was to highlight the good news re British Steel (including the renaming of it back to British Steel) that seems to have been missed by many. Even if some of their success is due to the pound devaluing. Not all of it is though.

Is the devaluing of the pound just a scare story quoted by bremainers? For every loser there will be a winner and it may ultimately drive us all to consume more home produced goods.

Again discuss.

Have those expensive German cars gone up in price I wonder or are they priced at the maximum they will sell already

Again discuss.

I don't think your comment came across unreasonable.

I think the pound weakening is on the whole a good thing, especially if we are going to go it alone, it will probably hit high profit business harder than the little man and may lead to more skilled jobs to.

I don't think the production of steel was ever unprofitable in the UK. One of the major complications was due to the legacy of the associated British Steel pension scheme, as part of the proposed rescue measures I believe the government were prepared to underwrite some elements of that.

There was something like a £7bn, maybe even £13bn, exposure on Tata's book in that regard.