Laptop

winnie&bezza

anything with a price ending in £---.97p is end of line clearance in Currys, FYI.

Feel the laptops underneath - and reject the hotter ones. The cooler ones will have better battery life typically & are more pleasant to use on your lap/sofa/bed etc. You only need powerful power hungry processors for video editing & games.

If you don't want to store many photos then don't pay more for a large hard disk - consider a SSD only.

anything with a price ending in £---.97p is end of line clearance in Currys, FYI.

Feel the laptops underneath - and reject the hotter ones. The cooler ones will have better battery life typically & are more pleasant to use on your lap/sofa/bed etc. You only need powerful power hungry processors for video editing & games.

If you don't want to store many photos then don't pay more for a large hard disk - consider a SSD only.

Interesting. Would never of thought about feeling for the heat. Yeah well as I say it will be used for mostly business stuff and the odd internet surfing. Probably PW surfing mainly haha. Thanks

I would necessarily go to Currys.

Google best laptop for under £500 and look at the best customer reviewed ones.

Yes we've done that but you still feel a bit unsure. I know the money I'm spending isn't gonna get me a fantastic one though.

windows or apple?

Windows. You can't get apple under £500 can you? Edited by winnie&bezza

I bought an Argos refurbished Acer from their ebay shop. Plays games, videos, internet has 6+ hrs battery life depending on how its being used. Cost £270 saved about £100 compared to buying new. That would leave you with £130 for shooting related items. The model I have is Aspire E 15, easily cope with what you require and more.

I do the same as you, basic busines stuff emails and some surfing, Bought basic Asus 249 on line. As my windows machines seem to get clogged up and rarely last more than 3 years this works for me. A new machine at this price point was a craker 3 years ago, plenty fast enough. I buy without office pre installed.

I bought an Argos refurbished Acer from their ebay shop. Plays games, videos, internet has 6+ hrs battery life depending on how its being used. Cost £270 saved about £100 compared to buying new. That would leave you with £130 for shooting related items. The model I have is Aspire E 15, easily cope with what you require and more.

Nice. Like the shooting items bit ;-)

+1 for Argos online got a Toshiba Satellite for under £300 ,12 months cover fulled loaded .Skype, built in webcam if u need to face to face someone,can copy record dvd/c.d etc huge memory couple of U.S.B ports for printer,s and built in blue tooth whats not to like and £200 is better in your pocket atb

What do you actually need it to do mate?

Ive just thought and I've got an old netbook that's sat gather dust that I and the mrs don't need, I think you'd have to buy a charger for it tho.

Yours if you want it, it's an Acer Aspire something. I bought it when I was travelling abroad a lot and wanted a small portable netbook.

What software will you use as windows 365 may be a better option (if you have access to

Wifi everywhere) as you can use it on multiple devices etc. Large Tesco etc sometimes have some good deals watch out for cut down units designed for kids homework etc

I really don't know mate but it will only be home use so wifi is always here. I presume we would just be using Microsoft office.

If you only need to use it at home desktop is cheaper better and more reliable

Office 365 is the new office package, you pay per month not one off fees, but it includes cloud storage and other facilities you can add it later if required to any machine

Edited by HDAV

If you only need to use it at home desktop is cheaper better and more reliable

Office 365 is the new office package, you pay per month not one off fees, but it includes cloud storage and other facilities you can add it later if required to any machine

You and tightchoke have probably swayed me to a desktop actually as the more I think about it, the more suitable it would be. Like the sound of the 365. Cheers

Open Office is free and will do pretty well everything you need for software instead of Windows 365.

David.

What's the difference between the two? Cheers

Apache open office keeps working ,Windows will go do dally and not recognise your activation key and if your really lucky it,s going to tell you its a fake and report u to micro steal.Open office does all windows does and cost £0 ,nil zero .My windows lasted two months and locked me out so some kind person on here said download Open Office 2 years later still fine no issues ,no viruses just lets you read and print and do your paperwork atb

Open office is free been around a long while not up to speed on the latest version. So can't comment but you can do doxuments and spreadsheets and it's free not sure what it's cloud service or mail Application is like but if you use gmail etc that probably doesn't need to worry