BASC or NRA

I have been a member of BASC for many years. They have helped me on more than one occasion to overturn restrictions added to my FAC. They are also the first, and sometimes the only organisation who speak up/out when something has happened, firearm wise.

+1

If your just into paper punching then NRA, I don't think they will let you shoot as Bisley unless you are in the NRA. But don't let on to anyone out in the real world that your a member of the NRA though ;-) there a strange bunch from a different planet.

If your just into paper punching then NRA, I don't think they will let you shoot as Bisley unless you are in the NRA. But don't let on to anyone out in the real world that your a member of the NRA though ;-) there a strange bunch from a different planet.

I already shoot at Bisley with my club, I was thinking more about Insurance and with the NRA Bisley Benefits

• Hire targets at the world famous Bisley camp.

• Hire of firearms by the day from the NRA, within provisions of the Firearms Act

And

Training, Development

• Training courses including RCO and Club Coach.

Things may have changed since I went, I am a member of BASC and have been for a numbers of years without complaint. We booked 2 weekends at Bisley through BASC it was a member that booked it as a group(bear in mind it was years ago and a bit sketchy) we were told by NRA/RCO that we should stop shooting as we did not have the correct certification.

Aparently a range card to say we were safe to shoot. Lol

My experience of range folk tells me that they seem to forget when they have the card hanging round their neck.

Edited by Dougy

BASC were not much help when i was applying for my FAC,they dont seem to be backing wildfowling as they should so i would say anyone but BASC!

services to wildfowlers

There are numerous experienced wildfowlers within BASC council, BASC head office, regional and country staff. Together we provide a unique range of services. The Wildfowling Department should be your first port of call for FREE advice when any issue arises relating to your wildfowling, whether as an individual or as a club. In the unlikely event that we cannot help you directly, we will certainly find someone who can.

Our services include:

To individual wildfowlers

•The BASC wildfowling permit scheme

•General advice about wildfowling

•Advice on lead-alternatives

•Advice on joining a local wildfowling club

To wildfowling clubs

•Advice on club management, membership and recruitment

•Advice on the negotiation of a wildfowling lease

•Advice on foreshore and marsh within a designated site (ASSI, SSSI, SPA)

•Advice on website creation

•Advice on grants

•Advice on funding land purchases

•Help on saltmarsh management (ie. creation of scrapes, Spartina management)

•Guidance on Health and Safety and risk assessments

•Help with our Child Protection Policy

•Problems with animal rights activists

•Advice on setting up a shooting returns system

•Help on responding to an estuary consultation

•Help on local plans for flood defences

Our ongoing commitment to wildfowling clubs includes:

•Organisation of the bi-annual national wildfowling conference and numerous wildfowling evenings and events throughout the UK

•Assisting clubs in the lease renewal process on Crown Estate foreshore on 80 sites across 700km foreshore in England, Wales and NI

•Annual receipt and analysis of bag returns for Crown Estate and non-Crown Estate wildfowling sites (in liason with Research Dept.)

•Wildfowling-related discussions with government agencies and other shooting and conservation organisations

•Annual production of the BASC Wildfowling Permit Scheme booklet

•Attendance at various Game Fairs, Country Shows and BASC Roadshows throughout the year

•Representation on coastal forums and in responses to estuary management consultations

Edited by bakerboy

I've lived near Bisley on and off for a number of years, and yet again I recently found myself parked outside the NRA offices debating whether to join. Having looked at the range boards and thought " do i really want to shoot the same old stuff in the same old way time and time again to keep up membership?". I drove away again. I look at the place and think it could be great for British shooting but no matter how much I want to embrace the place I struggle to find anything that it offers to someone who shoots in the field.

I have to say that BASC simply offers a tremendous range of services to people who shoot ACROSS THE WHOLE SPECTRUM. In fact I'd go as far the say the the magazine alone is far superior to manage highly priced glossies that churn out the same old faces doing the same old things and guffing on about how wonderful thermal is.........................

Dougy when you say 'strange'......did that involve a trip to Fulton's by any chance?

If you are shooting smallbore rifle then there is the National smallbore rifle association, (NSRA). as far as I know all clubs that compete with .22 smallbore rifle have to be members of the NSRA. A friend of mine is a member of the sporting rifle club up at History and when I went there with him it was really interesting with people shooting running deer and running boar. There were blokes zeroing stuff like elephant calibers. On the range next door there was a club shooting modified 22rf 10/22s at all sorts of field targets like rabbit, squirrel, pigeon and other knock down targets. There may be other clubs there but we were just there for the day. There was lots to see and do. If I lived closer I would visit a lot. Basc is a waste of time. Gun clubs have their own insurance or go online. Spend the rest of the money in your local gun shop.

I tend to base my decisions on how effective an organisation is, regardless of what it may claim it can do.

If insurance is a priority then you can be insured without joining any; if it's based on the facilities it can offer, then you can only choose the one that provides those facilities.

Don't choose one on the claims of their adverts; you will be disappointed.

services to wildfowlers

There are numerous experienced wildfowlers within BASC council, BASC head office, regional and country staff. Together we provide a unique range of services. The Wildfowling Department should be your first port of call for FREE advice when any issue arises relating to your wildfowling, whether as an individual or as a club. In the unlikely event that we cannot help you directly, we will certainly find someone who can.

Our services include:

To individual wildfowlers

•The BASC wildfowling permit scheme

•General advice about wildfowling

•Advice on lead-alternatives

•Advice on joining a local wildfowling club

To wildfowling clubs

•Advice on club management, membership and recruitment

•Advice on the negotiation of a wildfowling lease

•Advice on foreshore and marsh within a designated site (ASSI, SSSI, SPA)

•Advice on website creation

•Advice on grants

•Advice on funding land purchases

•Help on saltmarsh management (ie. creation of scrapes, Spartina management)

•Guidance on Health and Safety and risk assessments

•Help with our Child Protection Policy

•Problems with animal rights activists

•Advice on setting up a shooting returns system

•Help on responding to an estuary consultation

•Help on local plans for flood defences

Our ongoing commitment to wildfowling clubs includes:

•Organisation of the bi-annual national wildfowling conference and numerous wildfowling evenings and events throughout the UK

•Assisting clubs in the lease renewal process on Crown Estate foreshore on 80 sites across 700km foreshore in England, Wales and NI

•Annual receipt and analysis of bag returns for Crown Estate and non-Crown Estate wildfowling sites (in liason with Research Dept.)

•Wildfowling-related discussions with government agencies and other shooting and conservation organisations

•Annual production of the BASC Wildfowling Permit Scheme booklet

•Attendance at various Game Fairs, Country Shows and BASC Roadshows throughout the year

•Representation on coastal forums and in responses to estuary management consultations

are you a member of a wildfowling club??

I am a member of both the BASC and the NRA. I have been a member of BASC since the 1980's and the NRA for about the last 10 years. The BASC has always been very helpful if I have needed advice. They also run very good courses. I completed my DSC1 a while back. This was arranged through the BASC and was an excellent course.

The NRA has also been very helpful, but.....................I would always plump for the BASC if I had to choose between the two.

The BASC Council Elections are due soon and a local chap (Hertfordshire) is standing for National Election and I'll be voting for him. I think a number of people on this forum may know of him too. This gives us a familiar face to the BASC, which helps when to most of us it's just a big organisation.

If your shooting involves pest control, game shooting, stalking, field work with clay shooting thrown in, the BASC is the best option I believe. If your only target shooting, or just clay pigeon shooting, then the NRA, or the CPSA may be your organisation of choice.

I am a member of both the BASC and the NRA. I have been a member of BASC since the 1980's and the NRA for about the last 10 years. The BASC has always been very helpful if I have needed advice. They also run very good courses. I completed my DSC1 a while back. This was arranged through the BASC and was an excellent course. [/size]

[/size]

The NRA has also been very helpful, but.....................I would always plump for the BASC if I had to choose between the two.[/size]

[/size]

The BASC Council Elections are due soon and a local chap (Hertfordshire) is standing for National Election and I'll be voting for him. I think a number of people on this forum may know of him too. This gives us a familiar face to the BASC, which helps when to most of us it's just a big organisation. [/size]

[/size]

If your shooting involves pest control, game shooting, stalking, field work with clay shooting thrown in, the BASC is the best option I believe. If your only target shooting, or just clay pigeon shooting, then the NRA, or the CPSA may be your organisation of choice. [/size]

At the moment it is just paper punching and clay smashing but I would eventually like to move my shooting a bit further and hopefully secure some permanent vermin shoots, but I'd like to get a lot more experience first. It's one thing shooting vermin with sub 12ftlb air rifles (which I used to do) to shooting with rim or centre fire rifles. Edited by Newbie to this

At the moment it is just paper punching and clay smashing but I would eventually like to move my shooting a bit further and hopefully secure some permanent vermin shoots, but I'd like to get a lot more experience first. It's one thing shooting vermin with sub 12ftlb air rifles (which I used to do) to shooting with rim or centre fire rifles.

Where are you located/? If in North London why not pop along to my shooting club. You can get more experience with rim fire and full bore there.. If you are interested PM me.

Where are you located/? If in North London why not pop along to my shooting club. You can get more experience with rim fire and full bore there.. If you are interested PM me.

Thanks for the offer, I'm in south east and I'm already a member of a rifle club, north London would be a bit to far to travel, what with traffic. My club shoot quite regularly so I'm gaining experience fast.