Rabbit Gutting As Promised

Puts me to shame.Easy when you know how.

:blush::blush: what the heck was that?:blush: clear video picture but the example is very poor, when you have lots of bunnies to gut that way is slow and long.

hold by front legs, insert knife carefully and cut downwards 2inches or so, 2 fingers in and out with the guts job done. no need to shake the blooming thing and it's clean. another good thing is to gut them as quick as u can because there's less smell and mess on your hands plus the guts dont blow up.

It looks like everyone has the 'best' and 'quickest' method and the rest of us are amateurs :blush:

Nice vid Cupra :blush: I don't think anyone else has posted footage before.

It takes 20 seconds in the field including emptying bladder when you get used to it and I suspect you will soon.

LB

^ That's a very brave thing to admit. There is nothing whatsoever wrong with leaving certain things to people who you think can do a better job. If I can reassure you at all, I'm sure you would very soon be competent at this - I can tell from your other posts that you research things very carefully and listen to advice.

I think gutting rabbits is one time it is helpful to have a slightly blunt knife. This can help to stop the blade from puncturing the intestines. It can be helpful to pinch a piece of fur between two fingers, lift, and cut. This enables an initial incision to be made with no fear of rupture. Does that make sense?

I can't view the video - dont know why, but whichever way you do it, you will soon pick it up. Apart from rupturing something you shouldnt, there's not much else can go wrong.

Tuck

Thanks Tuck. One day whilst out shooting I will just do it. I know how from advice on here and also watching the butcher, the time just has to be right for me. Like everything, as you say, I want to be sure I can do it, before I do it :blush:

I spend most of my days reading this forum as I have finally found something I really love doing. thanks to all those who post here, I have come a long way by by being a member of PW.

The butcher is doing them for me as.....

1. I still have no plucked up the courage to do it myself.

2. The butcher is selling them

From time of death to time of gutting was 1 Hour 20 Mins.

Don't want to sound like I'm being funny but you really should be doing the paunching yourself as any monkey can pull a trigger. Once you've done one you will wonder what all the fuss has been about :blush: and then willing to eat some yourself as you will recognise them purely as quality free mobile meat and not cute little fluffies. When you done a few its no difference to washing a lettuces :blush: MMMMMMM all this talk of food is making me hungry :blush:

Insert the knife to nick the skin in the middle of the back, thumbs in and split to remove the skin, pull apart so the skin is at the back feet and neck.

Insert knife across the back at the last rib, split and pull, all the guts go with the pluck. Snip off back feet and split at the pelvis to remove scent glands and rectum, kidneys out and the job is done.

Takes seconds to do in the field and leaves a bone filled front end with little meet and the skin etc to bait the fox with. The back and rear legs off each rabbit is the main meat areas.

I was shown many moons ago to always open up the diaghragm and take out the heatrt etc....your butcher has not done that.......and defo on the emptying the bladder although I suspect you probably already did that in the field....personally i like getting my hands in for a good route out.

:blush: Can't think of a good reason to leave the heart etc in.

Nice car...but cream leather interior??? No wonder you don't gut the rabbits in the field!! :blush::blush::blush:

Love the car too, but back to bunnies..

I got 2 today on my mates horse yard.

Once picked up, slit from groin to chest and contents emptied. Entrails left in hedgerows for scavengers.

Got home.. legs off at knee joints, slit from joint up the inner "trouser" leg on the back legs.

Fingers in and peel the skin off from the backend first. A little bit of small knife encouragement when required.

Pull skin over head, then chop through neck, give it a wash and job done.

2 bunnies, 10 minutes and no mess or blood.

Thats my technique. :angry:

Pete