Trip to Ireland...Suggestions?

Longchalk

Ring of Kerry, Dingle Peninsula. Some of the most stunning landscape I've seen.

Driving down the mountain road towards Dingle in a series 2A Land Rover, about 40 odd years ago, through the rain and mist, we rounded a bend to be confronted by about 15/20 goats in the road, Billies, nannies and kids........I stopped and got out, the goats disappeared over the low wall to the left.....I walked over to get a look at them and where they had gone.......over the wall was a sheer drop of several hundred feet to the sea....not a sign of the goats!....and I didn't lean over too far to see where they had gone!

Ring of Kerry, Dingle Peninsula. Some of the most stunning landscape I've seen.

Kerry. Galway. Mayo.

Dingle peninsula for sure. Stunning scenery. The Conor Pass. Slea Head drive starting and finishing in Dingle. Bee hive huts everywhere. Gallius oratory. Most western point in Europe.

Around Clifden and north in Galway. Maumturk mountains. Connemara. Leenane.

Heading north after Leenane you are in Mayo. Look for Delphi. Clew Bay (and Croagh Patrick). Westport is lovely but anglified. Head for Newport and then Achill Island (you can drive on) for wild and rugged.

It really is hard to miss the scenery. It's everywhere. One of my favourite places on the planet.

Edited by Big Al

I left out Clare. The Burren is limestone pavement country. Bleak and other worldly - also the home of Ailwee caves as featured in a Father Ted episode with Graham Norton!

Limerick is quaint in places but industrialised. Bunratty castle is a tourist trap.

Edited by Big Al

Driving down the mountain road towards Dingle in a series 2A Land Rover, about 40 odd years ago, through the rain and mist, we rounded a bend to be confronted by about 15/20 goats in the road, Billies, nannies and kids........I stopped and got out, the goats disappeared over the low wall to the left.....I walked over to get a look at them and where they had gone.......over the wall was a sheer drop of several hundred feet to the sea....not a sign of the goats!....and I didn't lean over too far to see where they had gone!

hello, seems like we both had a strange accurance, mine was over 15 years ago but i can still remember in detail. i was thinking to have another trip over but my friends paul and mary are alas not here any more but maybe i will go and say thanks for your kindness with flowers.

hello, as i mention have been to Co Clare many times, my first trip was to the Lisdoonvarna match making festival, had a great time and asked the hotel if there was any trout fishing available, well on having dinner the owner came a said be ready at 8 am, so the next day a car came and picked me up and took me to this beautifull lake where i met all the other fellow club fishermen, if you look on the map it is just above Ennistymon, It is the very long lake with an island, hence to say i had a few hours boat fishing but most i met some wonderfull irish fellow fisherman and they would not take any money for the lift/fishing etc. in fact i enjoyed it so much that one of the chaps called paul invited me back and at the end of my stay said come again and stay with him and wife mary , so i joined the club and went back 4/5 times for many many years until both became to frail to stay with them, thats how i know the area even having a bike lent me to get around, i have never met such kind people in my 50s and very happy memories.

hello, i mentioned a lake but it was Lickeen Lough,

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

In fairness,the same could be said about Antrim or any other County with a major city.

Yup. True.

Belfast has had its moments. There are still plenty of parts I wouldn't voluntary enter. On both sides.

Edited by Big Al

where ever you go in Eire you will always be made welcome that's just how we are ,, enjoy the hospitality the scenery the food ,fishing ,shooting and after hours in the pub and tell everybody about it,,

while you are there look into the music/ oyster / puck / festivals (all free) go watch a Gaelic football / hurling match as in rugby sportsmanship above all else and I guarantee you will be back for the summer ENJOY

Edited by Saltings