Met Police release names and addresses of 30,000 firearm owners to mar

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatever your view of the Police, this is not the norm. I honestly think it is an ill-advised scheme, which has contravened the Data Protection Act.

I trust that someone will be held accountable for this and the matter put right.

How can this be put right?

This is typical of the police, they can cause gun owners to become illegal holders by not renewing or issuing certificate on time and now release details against the data protection act. There seems to no one to hold them to account. PCCs don't want to rock any boats and most gun owners are concern they may have problem in the future if they complain. It needs BASC and CPSA to report it to the data protection department and insist that they take action and if not take the police to court themselves to get them to start complying with the law the same as they expect is to

Guest stevo

If my name had been passed on without my consent. I would be sueing the met police under data protection breach. Upgrading my home security and expecting them to cover the cost. Also a massive fine imposed on the met for breaching data protection laws !

I am genuinely interested in just how far up the chain of command that this issue goes. It won't have been signed off by a junior inspector.

Just have a look at the register of interests for

Shareholders in smart water ........

This,

whomever signed off on it, will be making money. Either personally, through family or a company!

Too early to say what needs to be done - first it needs to be established what, if anything, has gone wrong or any law broken.

I am genuinely interested in just how far up the chain of command that this issue goes. It won't have been signed off by a junior inspector.

Making sense.

From the above photo's, it is clear that the content reflects a Met initiative. Also it would appear that the envelopes are a plain cover. If everything was printed and sealed at CDS and then forwarded to YDM simply for distribution, then in view of CDS' accreditation, is there a problem? If, however, the envelopes were filled and distributed by YDM and that company does not have a similar rating, then, yes, there is.

This initiative will inevitably be linked to Trident and whatever anti terrorism actions the Met has in force. Consequently, I trust no one is going to be so damned stupid to announce that the Commissioner had no idea about its existence. If it can be shown that the DPA was contravened, she is where the buck stops. If, on the other hand, it can be shown that she didn't know about it, it is extremely questionable whether or not she should be holding her post and perhaps she should have stayed retired.

, then, yes, there is.

This initiative will inevitably be linked to Trident

There's an established link between FAC holders in the Met & inner city drugs gangs using automatic weapons now, is there?

Don't see ANY connection with Trident. Polar opposite ends of society

There's an established link between FAC holders in the Met & inner city drugs gangs using automatic weapons now, is there?

"While also acting as a deterrent." Thus preventing guns getting into the hands of those who would use them illegally whether they be gangs, drug dealers, terrorists, et al. Problem is, of course, I would imagine that the number of stolen but previously legally held guns makes up a minuscule percentage of those in criminal circulation.

Correct. From what I've read. Sawnoffs etc are looked down upon by the criminal fraternity. Sporting arms are of minimal benefit to a criminal.