Land Rover 130 conversion pipedream?

Smokersmith

OK gents ... looking for views on this ..

My father has just bought a 130 with a single cab, and drop sided flat bed for next to nothing. The chassis and engine are rock solid.

In it's current guise it's no good to me, but with a twin cab and covered back (Ifor Williams etc.) it would make a great replacement for my ageing Patrol.

Given that the work, and paint could be done for next to nothing ... is this still a viable project to give me a more unusual shooting bus for say 7k spend?

I know the ride etc will be for more agricultural that any Jap I've previously had .. but a good project could run for years and end up selling on for good money if needed.

I'm not wedded to the idea, but would appreciate views from anyone with the experience to add value.

If you can get the parts to make it, you'd need 2 second row doors, new roof, the rear bulkhead, b pillars, floors, rear seat box, rear body ( probably hi-cap on a 130?) then i'd say go for it, you might need to weld the outriggers for the extra bits onto the chassis. Not had alot to do with 130s so couldn't say for certain!

If it's a solid chassis, good engine/box and bulkhead. Then why not!

You can buy a td5 twin cab 130 for £6-7k so may be easier to sell what you have an just buy a factory double cab. You will be surprised how quickly the parts will add up to convert yours.

I've had a 110 double cab for some years and currently shopping for a 130, been looking at them for around 6mths keeping an eye on there prices etc I can't make my mind up wether to get a pickup/tipper or a double cab.

I'm going to be swapping the engine out for a cummins unit changing axles etc so I'm hoping I'll find one for reasonable money without a engine or shot engine, also keeping an eye on ex mod sites

The other thing to consider is the drive, comfort etc in a Land Rover is very different to your patrol and not to everyone's liking haha

I've been thinking of swapping my 110 for a patrol or landcruiser so there's a bit more comfort now I don't go off-roading often

aftermarket replacement springs and dampers will sort the ride out, there are many many options out there.

as suggested have a look at some of the LR forums, there are some 3 particularly good ones out there with a huge amount of combined knowledge and experience to help you decide.

http://www.defender2.net/forum/

https://forums.lr4x4.com/

http://forum.landrovernet.com/forum.php

In my mind I have always wanted a Land Rover 130 as a shooting vehicle or a 101 Forward Control but being practicle they have various limitations i.e. Turning circle in narrow country lanes , Spares and fuel consumption. That's why I have stuck with the Disco 2 and I have a second low mileage the pipeline just in reserve. It's your choice in the end .

Certainly doable but as has been said it would be alot of work to make the extra parts fit as non of the brackets on outriggers will be on your existing chassis

It may be better to sell what youve got and buy a double cab landy either 110 or 130

The 130 is a great machine commercially but is a nightmare to move about a tight space. Think 110 and double it. Horses for courses, if your needs do not involved even semi restrictive moving around then go for it, the parts are available and if I was going to do such a project I would be looking for a good 3.9/4 litre engine and auto gearbox, even buy an old P38 for those bits and scrap the rest ....... just thinking out loud, but with a 130 chassis you have loads of space for a 100ltr lpg tank and driving behind a smooth 4litre V8 is far better than the rattles and bangs of diesel engines AND they make a lovely sound with just two Cherry Bombs in the exhaust system. Yep! Go for it.