IOM TT

Dunkield

I watched a bit of this last night on the telly and have nothing but admiration for those boys, they must have absolute nuts of steel to go that fast on normal roads :lol: Long may it continue as it is.

But in a way it reminded me of the first time I went to Le Mans.

When we sat there about 20 feet away from cars doing 250mph I sat there back then thinking this is very much of this time, and simply can't continue like this.

And low and behold, they put a chicane halfway down the Mulsanne straight and rebuilt the pits etc.

Am I correct in saying that every year someone dies?

I'm sure I heard that somewhere.

If that is true then that is the only down side to it all.

I think every year a couple of people die, but you only hear about it if its someone like David Jeffries.

Its a dangerous place to race. Huge respect to those that have the balls.

It really is awe inspiring watching bikes fly passed topping 180+mph when all there is between them and you is a small dry stone wall, or a grass verge, or sometimes nothing but a piece of ribbon cordon!! Certainly gets the sphincter going, and that's as a spectator!

For anyone who is thinking of travelling to Man for a TT, please go, it's absolutely amazing.

I've been with my pals three times in recent years but missed last years race as well as this due to work commitments. Must say I'm gutted!

Am I correct in saying that every year someone dies?

I'm sure I heard that somewhere.

If that is true then that is the only down side to it all.

My uncle Kenneth was killed there riding a 500cc Norton in 1953 he was an independant entry with no works backing, seems very small time when compared with todays bikes, but they didnt have the brakes or suspension systems we have nowadays.

:lol: D2D

Hi all

i am just about to head out into Douglas for the fairwell drinkies of this years TT. Have been over here for the last 2 weeks for the practice sessions and the main race week. We have been coming for the last 11 years apart from the foot and mouth year when it was cancelled.

As was mentioned, it is a nightmare to get somewhere to stay, we just book ours when we leave for the next year. We do what is called Home stay, where people rent out rooms in their houses. We have been staying with the same Family for 7 years and it is just like being at home but with bikes roaring by.

The racing this week as been superb with John Mcguinness finally getting a 130mph lap today. The only bad thing has been the death today of Marc Ramsbothom who i am preety certain was here for his first year and Shaun Harris who crashed on Tuesday in the Superstock TT and is now serious in Hospital.

Well of Douglas now for a few,as luck would have we could not get booked onto the ferry untill Sunday, so as we wont be riding back till then i think it will more than likelly be more than a few.

Roll on Next year.

Cheers all :good:

It is very sad news that there have been more fatalities at this years TT. I expect there will be an outcry and it will be sensationalised by the media. Motor sports are dangerous, that as I recall as a young man was all part of the attraction and I reckon it was the same for those that lost their life. Nothing in this life is certain, if you fancy it, go for it, better to have tried and lost than not to have tried at all.

Butch.

I went every year from '83 to '92 and never had a bad experience. Having kids mucked that up but I do get to watch it on Sky :good:

Much respect to Mcguiness after doing the mad monday it puts it all into perspective when you have a go and try to give it large.

Definetly the last REAL race circuit in the world.

LB

:good: I.O.M Been there a few times the racers actually love the place the same as the northwest 200 the suthern 100 and

olivers mount Me personally i wouldnt race donkeys round these places when you look at it 100-200 bhp out of a 1 inch contact patch isnt good on the road... ITS hard to beleve it used to be on the Grand Prix calender the same as Macow I had 14 years of Road raceing under my belt in all aspects let me tell you the TT IS NOT worth any of my friends lives that i have lost there our the years and its not just the racers there has been more killed on that lump of rock over the last 14 years than people shot with any type of gun in the uk

I doubt if your assumption that there have been more TT deaths than Gun deaths over the last 14 years statement is correct.

Nobody forces people to go and race on the island. As you point out, the racers love it.

Not many gun crime victims actually volunteer to get shot.

Yesterday evening BBC Radio 5 ran an interview with a racer that came 3rd in one of this years races. He said that the reason he races on the island is because the danger gives him a buzz that nothing else can.

I can appreciate that you are sad for the loss of your friends, but they were doing something that they enjoyed.

Are you suggesting the TT is yet another thing that our nanny state culture should ban?

My daughter just telephoned, they got home about midnight last night , having been over there for the week.

It was her 12th year there and she said that this year (centennial year ?) was the best so far, with lots of extra events.

They had one day in the grandstand near the pits area and she said that was especially interesting.

Like many pastimes, motorcycle racing is very dangerous, its a tragedy when people get killed, or disabled, but everyone knows the risks before they take part.

It is our right to make these choices, banning the TT Races would be a crime.

The "Nanny State" is interfering with every normal aspect of our lives, we don't want it to affect our freedom of choice.

Hi all

i am just about to head out into Douglas for the fairwell drinkies of this years TT. Have been over here for the last 2 weeks for the practice sessions and the main race week. We have been coming for the last 11 years apart from the foot and mouth year when it was cancelled.

As was mentioned, it is a nightmare to get somewhere to stay, we just book ours when we leave for the next year. We do what is called Home stay, where people rent out rooms in their houses. We have been staying with the same Family for 7 years and it is just like being at home but with bikes roaring by.

The racing this week as been superb with John Mcguinness finally getting a 130mph lap today. The only bad thing has been the death today of Marc Ramsbothom who i am preety certain was here for his first year and Shaun Harris who crashed on Tuesday in the Superstock TT and is now serious in Hospital.

Well of Douglas now for a few,as luck would have we could not get booked onto the ferry untill Sunday, so as we wont be riding back till then i think it will more than likelly be more than a few.

Roll on Next year.

Cheers all :good:

That is one hell of a nice looking bike in your picture chippy. Is that what you have taken to the TT?

That is one hell of a nice looking bike in your picture chippy. Is that what you have taken to the TT?

MV Augusta if I'm not mistaken. I would swap CupramanRR's 'family car' for one of those any day!! B) :good: B)

Like many pastimes, motorcycle racing is very dangerous, its a tragedy when people get killed, or disabled, but everyone knows the risks before they take part.

It is our right to make these choices, banning the TT Races would be a crime.

The "Nanny State" is interfering with every normal aspect of our lives, we don't want it to affect our freedom of choice.

Words or wisdom indeed.

MV Augusta if I'm not mistaken. I would swap CupramanRR's 'family car' for one of those any day!! B) :good: B)

Spot on it is my 2006 MV F4 1000cc. And yes it is what i have rode to the island. Am still on island untill the ferry tomorrow.

Fingers crossed for good weather on the way home.

Cheers B)

MV Augusta if I'm not mistaken. I would swap CupramanRR's 'family car' for one of those any day!! B) :good: :o

Spot on it is my 2006 MV F4 1000cc. And yes it is what i have rode to the island. Am still on island untill the ferry tomorrow.

Fingers crossed for good weather on the way home.

Cheers B)

Great bike, not my style anymore (each to their own!), but a refreshing change from all the Ducati's that are flying around at the moment. B)