Total novice airguner question

Harnser

The last time I owned an air gun was about 60 years ago . An old Diana that I used to shoot sparrows with . I really loved that old gun . I recently gave up f.a.c. And sold my rim fires and my .308 . I know think that I am going to need an air rifle to shoot rats and a few rabbits on the farm .

My question is ,what would best serve my situation . I understand what a springer is ,but I don't understand what a gas ram is . I definately don't want a gun that needs to charge from an out side source like a divers tank ,I just couldn't be assed with that . I do understand that some guns can be pumped up with a stirrup pump . I maybe could be bothered with one of this type . Your surgest ions please my friends .

Harnser

You world is your oyster really harnser, you can stick with a springer plenty of good guns available, your saying you don't want the hassle of a divers bottle, I've had my rapid 7 since 199? And I've never used a divers bottle yet always just taken the buddy bottle somewhere and got them filled up 150 &300 shots per fill keeps me going.

Gas ram is along the same lines as a springer but supposed to be smoother to shoot never shot one tho.

You can get air rifles that use c02 powerlet cartridges google crossman.

Probably best to buy something second hand see what you think then find you get drawn in to wanting a pcp after all, have a good read through the other posts loads of good advice.

Mice

The last time I owned an air gun was about 60 years ago . An old Diana that I used to shoot sparrows with . I really loved that old gun . I recently gave up f.a.c. And sold my rim fires and my .308 . I know think that I am going to need an air rifle to shoot rats and a few rabbits on the farm .

My question is ,what would best serve my situation . I understand what a springer is ,but I don't understand what a gas ram is . I definately don't want a gun that needs to charge from an out side source like a divers tank ,I just couldn't be assed with that . I do understand that some guns can be pumped up with a stirrup pump . I maybe could be bothered with one of this type . Your surgest ions please my friends .

Harnser

hello, if you just want a go to rifle without the hassle of pump/bottle it would more likely a springer which come in all prices and quality, very few gas ram rifles but quite a bother if go wrong, a friend has a crosman nitro venom with a piston type fitted, i have tried this and it shoots very good and not twangy like a springer, his is years old and still in good working order, next is 177 or 22 , i do not find a 177 a good rat size pellet but is a favourite for rabbits 22 for both at a push, so its a matter of budget and what suites your needs, there has been a few makes where quality has not been to standard, if you get the springer bug you might think of tuning !!!! i would say if you going to do a lot of shooting buy something decent or if opposite i just bought a hatsan 900X for £90,weight a nice 6.5llb/ reasonable quality made but can be made better with strip/clean and or tune kit, will do the job, or go for better quality like a HW 95k maybe S/H as the new are not so good on QC or a top of range air arms or other quality makes, am sure other pw members will help, good luck

Hello harnser .

Id say you have 2 choices given your requirments .

First a quality springer (i wouldnt really bother with a gasram .same idea as a springer just harder to cock and more potential issues ) i personally would get a bsa lightening or a hw 99 or a walther terus

Second if you dont mind pumping (ive pumped all my pcps for years its pretty easy with no down sides ) cheaper than bottles too .

Id reccomend a bsa ultra these are amazingly accurate and reliable as they are well built and a simple design .

As for calibre .a .177 will serve you best due to its flatter trajectory and its better suitability for rabbits and rats.

Look for a used TX200 and go try it out, your quest will be over. BTW - a Gas Ram is basically a compressible Gas that is sealed inside a tube - your piston compresses this tube instead of a spring to provide power, the main advantage is that they can be left cocked indefinitely without loosing power plus they tend to be a little lighter and have a faster "lock time" (to steal a shotgunners term) - on top of these is the fact that Theoben have championed them for years so they must be good :yes: .

Edited by bruno22rf

hello, sorry to hear you giving up the rifles but you can still enjoy some shooting on the farm, if like me retired and few years past, yes a PCP would be the best option not sure about a pump though as takes some effort, have been shooting rats for years and never found a 177 ideal, my friends crosman was better to cock than the bsa lightning i had at the time and not the best made, you will get a lot of different advice so i hope you find a choice rifle and have many more years shooting, oh a set of shooting sticks will be good to have to, easy to make, cheers

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

No real answer to this other than try and get to a gun club or dealer that has a try range, and try lots of different models.

For occasional use I'd go with a decent 2nd hand springer. HW or AA are good.

If you are drawn to a tcp and pump a 2nd hand ultra is good, there was a Falcon in the sales section the other day. Don't get a big bottled gun if you're using a pump.

I only shoot .22 on pest, but each to their own. There is no right or wrong just personal preference.

In short go try some.

A nice springer is a very liberaring way to shoot .

Just add pellets .

If your gonna use it as a walk and stalk type gun .slung over your shoulder dropping wats and wabbits

Id go with a ligher weight breakbarrel .

I have an aa tx200 and it is awesome BUT it is heavy and slow to reload .ive missed a few follow up shots i would probably have made if i could have been quicker. With a break barrel for example .

See my short list above .

Ps .177

Only .22 shooters say it doesnt matter about cal .

For a springer you wont go far wrong with air arms or a Weihrauch for the break barrels that are a bit lighter. Gas rams can be a bit hit and miss some of the Theobens are nice but certainly some of the new BSA and Gamo offerings I have shot are a bit hard going so I would be a bit wary of gas rams unless you can try one.

For a springer you wont go far wrong with air arms or a Weihrauch for the break barrels that are a bit lighter. Gas rams can be a bit hit and miss some of the Theobens are nice but certainly some of the new BSA and Gamo offerings I have shot are a bit hard going so I would be a bit wary of gas rams unless you can try one.

Thats good advice .try before you buy if you can as even 2 seemingly identical guns can shoot and feel completely different in many ways .every rfd has a pellet trap to clear guns brought in .ask if you can pop a pellet or 2 into it or over their chrono .this is something i insist on if its a s/h gun

AA TX200 if you are going to be seated, it is "not" something that you are going to use on a walked up shoot unless as stated before you are built like a brick out house or own a wheel barrow.

Was out with mine yesterday (I'm the built one) and a few pigeons did not make it home again.

Excellent gun and never missed a beat.

Got the Crossman Ratcatcher in .22 and a B/S/A Supersport springer in .22 .The ratta does what it says and probably gives around 20 shots from 1 little bottle ,bulk buy them for cheapness.

The Supersport is the next level its just under 12lb/ft maximum so no F.A.C and it bowls pigeons ,rats n Rabbits over ,dead ,both can be tricked up if your that way inclined but if not do the job out of the box atb and good hunting

Clakk, I quite like the look of the crossman, question how long does the air last once you put the bottle on? If your getting twenty shots can they be taken over say two weeks or would it leak out? Thinking of using it in the garden and for the coup de in the cage trap.

Thanks mice!

Hw95k or Tx200 is all you need. Older forumers have said that underlevers can be tricky with the old fingers so go for break barrel.

.22 hits harder and is still a pretty flat trajectory inside 30 yds. It is also better for the heart / lung shot which is best around buildings.

hello harnser, let us know how you get on if you buy the 95?

Yes I did buy the 95 from a very nice man . A lovely condition gun for a very reasonable price . Have now joined the ranks of the air gunners . I did try his PCP and what a lovely bit of kit . Just a bit to fussy for my needs . Who knows may be I will go down that road later . Again thanks for all your sound advice .

Harnser