Future of shooting / stock numbers affected to new technology

Just a thought

After chat with some farmers and shooters there is pattern emerging ( around my shooting land etc. )

there is significantly smaller number of Rabbits, Dear, Hare, etc. in areas where shooters use NV set ups and Thermal imaging.

whats your opinion on that are we ale doomed cos we want better gear and in 5-10 years there will be cartoon situation of 50 shooters sitting around one hole in the ground waiting for that illusive rabbit .

If that is the case they should all turn their efforts to grey squirrel elimination first. OK, my wood is only 10 acres but I have turned it into a squirrel free zone. Any coming in last no more than 48hrs. The small bird population has exploded as a result.

With regard to equipment, I am old enough to have seen a steady increase in kit designed to make killing things increase, from my old BSA 177 air rifle in the late 40s and early 50s with open sights I had to aim slightly off because they were not properly aligned to the thermal imagers carried by an increasing number of deer stalkers which allow animals to be seen and shot whilst in thick brambles. Agreed the art and skill of 'hunting' is being lost.

For vermin control I use whatever makes me more effective. I have a lot of land to cover and only so much time to do it in. The Farmer wants me to do the job, he doesnt trust anyone else after several bad experiences.

For deer stalking I would never dream of using thermal or night vision, (except for the yearly census) I am not clearing problem pests, rather managing and maintaining a valued asset.

Many people I know use thermal and sadly deer are treated as a cash cow and a way to pay off their £3000 new kit.

I honestly think this country will have a dramatic reduction in deer population in the next decade. Everyone shoots everything under the name of "vermin control" now.

I've heard tell of a few doing this also. Deer numbers are going to plummet in the not too distant future!

They already are plummeting down. in parts of Northyorkshire and Durham .

i do understand good rabbit bashing and nights of 100+ but with lamp and normal scope they have some chance.

what will happen in 5 years.

Who's using thermal and NV on deer?

Not allowed to Shoot at night (one hour after sunset to one hour before sunrise) except under licence

As far as rabbits go I don't know any farmer that would be happy if we where just shooting a few for the pot.My farmer was jumping with joy when mixi hit us,he wanted them gone.He stopped us shooting them as he wanted it to spread.There is a big difference between pest control and management and rabbits I'm afraid don't come under management in a farmers eyes.

Edited by Davyo

Who's using thermal and NV on deer?

Not allowed to Shoot at night (one hour after sunset to one hour before sunrise) except under licence

As far as rabbits go I don't know any farmer that would be happy if we where just shooting a few for the pot.My farmer was jumping with joy when mixi hit us,he wanted them gone.He stopped us shooting them as he wanted it to spread.There is a big difference between pest control and management and rabbits I'm afraid don't come under management in a farmers eyes.

So we should just wipe them out?? One way to put the shooting community in a good light.. I dont see the need to go out and shoot everything in sight. If the farmer wants them gone I say that I will take them off his land but will take for the pot and the butcher, Over a period of time. Most are happy with this as long as the numbers are controlled.

So we should just wipe them out?? One way to put the shooting community in a good light.. I dont see the need to go out and shoot everything in sight. If the farmer wants them gone I say that I will take them off his land but will take for the pot and the butcher, Over a period of time. Most are happy with this as long as the numbers are controlled.

I think the wipe out statements a bit far fetched.Even if you cleared them off your land they would build up again with a very short period of time due to migration from neighbouring farms

I've seen farmers pumping silage into burrow to clean them out,it goes quiet for a while then they are back but just further up the hedge.

Have witnessed this on many farms,we shot 1200 (off 600acres)in the 1st year plus ferreting team in over winter. Shot 700+ the folling year when we had a spot of mixi.Left them for a year and we are now over run with the bliters again.But that's rabbits for ya,as far as deer go they where not a problem and they were only shot if required due to ill health or age.Unfortunatly the majority I've shot have been injured because the coursing lads have been running dogs after them (poaching).

I no longer shoot and if I look back I'd say I'm ashamed of the amount I've shot over the years There came a time one Harvest at 2am in the morning waiting for Charlie to appear and it suddenly dawns on me that im an absolute tit.

Your also right regarding the future of shooting.Read back through this post,SG/FAC holders say they 'know of or have heard of' shooting deer at night with NV/Thermal but haven't taken any action against it.Did they not know the shooting of deer during the night is illegal.(except under special licence)Therefore if NV or Thermal is being used then it must be poachers because no FAC holder would use it on deer.Its posts like this that damage the future of shooting as it reads like it's licence holders that are doing it.The rabbit bit isn't worth even talking about as it's the old arguing amongst ourselfs're the definition between pest control or leasure shooting.

If you know of anyone doing it be it licence holder or poaching then speak to you wildlife lesson officer.

Did the op and his friends take into consideration that human interferance with habitat effects deer movement.Farmers pulling out hedges lines,wind farms,solar farms,housing and roads all have an impact on deer populations.Interfere with their habitat and they will move on to a other area.Dont assume it's down to shooting,certainly not legal shooting.,Any conditioned deer stalker will be appalled by the assumption/alligation especially from a fellow shooter.

Edited by Davyo