Another question for the watch experts

bluesj

I've got a couple of quid stashed away that I was going to spend on a .308 and scope but no longer need it for that. So was thinking of replacing a watch that got stolen many years ago, the watch was a Heure.

My question is are the (now) TAG Heure watches, this one in particular https://www.tagheuer.com/en-gb/watches/tag-heuer-formula-1-chronograph-43-mm-caz1014-ba0842 a good buy. It looks similar to my old one so thought it might be a good replacement and I'd have a few quid left over.

I've got a couple of quid stashed away that I was going to spend on a .308 and scope but no longer need it for that. So was thinking of replacing a watch that got stolen many years ago, the watch was a Heure.

My question is are the (now) TAG Heure watches, this one in particular https://www.tagheuer.com/en-gb/watches/tag-heuer-formula-1-chronograph-43-mm-caz1014-ba0842 a good buy. It looks similar to my old one so thought it might be a good replacement and I'd have a few quid left over.

Contact adge cutler previously known as Fisherman Mike what he does not know about watches is not worth knowing

Edited by bakerboy

Seiko movements aren't to be sniffed at! Some of the Grand Seikos are great watches.

Get yourself onto a TAG forum where you will find enthusiasts who will point you in the right direction.

Either way check out Chrono24 where you will find competitive prices if you don't mind buying from the net. As always, due diligence on the seller is always a wise move.

Edited by Cosd

Seiko movements aren't to be sniffed at! Some of the Grand Seikos are great watches.

Get yourself onto a TAG forum where you will find enthusiasts who will point you in the right direction.

Either way check out Chrono24 where you will find competitive prices if you don't mind buying from the net. As always, due diligence on the seller is always a wise move.

I'll have a look cheers

Personally I'd opt for an automatic movement.

I liked the look of that one as its much the same as my old but i have just seen a second had automatic that i like the look of

I've got an automatic Omega and it's lovely but if I don't wear it for a day or two it can stop which is a bit of a pain.

I'm of the understanding an automatic wouldn't have this issue?

I'm of the understanding that's how an automatic works, it's the vibration (wrist movement) that keeps it moving, that how my Tag works, well it worked until yesterday when for some reason it has stopped :(

This is going to cost me I fear

:shaun:

I'm of the understanding that's how an automatic works, it's the vibration (wrist movement) that keeps it moving, that how my Tag works, well it worked until yesterday when for some reason it has stopped :(

I fear it will, my Longines did the same, it needed a rebuild.

Try winding it manually first. :yes:

I recently bought a Seiko skx007j from creation watches. Whilst its not a grand seiko or tag I'm really pleased with the quality. Automatic movement. Maybe too far under budget.

http://www.creationwatches.com/products/seiko-divers-60/seiko-automatic-divers-skx007-skx007j1-skx007j-200m-made-in-japan-mens-watch-837.html

post-33543-0-88253400-1496612769_thumb.jpg

Edited by shalfordninja33

Try winding it manually first. :yes:

I have tried that and to be honest it doesn't feel right, something very expensive has gone wrong inside,

Theses things are never a cheap repair and depending on how expensive will decide whether or not i gets consigned to it's box and put in a cupboard :/

I recently bought a Seiko skx007j from creation watches. Whilst its not a grand seiko or tag I'm really pleased with the quality. Automatic movement. Maybe too far under budget.

http://www.creationwatches.com/products/seiko-divers-60/seiko-automatic-divers-skx007-skx007j1-skx007j-200m-made-in-japan-mens-watch-837.html

I did exactly this a couple of months ago. Not the J though. I think the cost was £147 including postage. It arrived within the week.

Great looking watch.

Edited by Muddy Funker

I've got an automatic Omega and it's lovely but if I don't wear it for a day or two it can stop which is a bit of a pain.

I'm of the understanding an automatic wouldn't have this issue?

Automatic watches are self winding, in simple terms a weight inside the watch oscillates with wrist movement and puts tension on what is known as the "main spring". Every automatic has a power reserve (how long the watch will run for without movement or unworn), again in simple terms a fully tension'ed main spring will keep the watch ticking for "n" number of hours when the watch is not worn. Quartz watches are battery driven and obviously don't need to be worn to carry on ticking.

Different watches have different power reserves, check what your one should be and if it lasting much less that what it is supposed to, then maybe a service is in order.

That's a great looking watch!! I like the strap as well, really suits the watch.

Automatic watches are self winding, in simple terms a weight inside the watch oscillates with wrist movement and puts tension on what is known as the "main spring". Every automatic has a power reserve (how long the watch will run for without movement or unworn), again in simple terms a fully tension'ed main spring will keep the watch ticking for "n" number of hours when the watch is not worn. Quartz watches are battery driven and obviously don't need to be worn to carry on ticking.

Different watches have different power reserves, check what your one should be and if it lasting much less that what it is supposed to, then maybe a service is in order.

That's a great looking watch!! I like the strap as well, really suits the watch.

Thank you. I didn't care for the rubber strap it came with and the Seiko brackets had some bad reviews. I saved £40 on the watch by choosing the rubber option then got the strap from watch assasin on amazon. It has a leather inner which is much for comfortable than the rubber one with sail cloth stitched around the outer, I tired to keep in with the diver theme.

I really like the creation watch website. Fast delivery on lots of watches that aren't available in the UK.

Thank you. I didn't care for the rubber strap it came with and the Seiko brackets had some bad reviews. I saved £40 on the watch by choosing the rubber option then got the strap from watch assasin on amazon. It has a leather inner which is much for comfortable than the rubber one with sail cloth stitched around the outer, I tired to keep in with the diver theme.

I really like the creation watch website. Fast delivery on lots of watches that aren't available in the UK.

Keep the rubber handy for when you are holiday, obviously leather doesn't particularly like the water, hence the rubber straps on divers watches.

Saying that, there some lovely rubber straps out there also.

Keep the rubber handy for when you are holiday, obviously leather doesn't particularly like the water, hence the rubber straps on divers watches.

Saying that, there some lovely rubber straps out there also.

Thanks for the advice, I like some of the Hirsch straps and some of the Nato ones, they're simple enough to change now that I have a spring bar tool. So I'll make sure I put something more appropriate on it for holidays.

I have tried that and to be honest it doesn't feel right, something very expensive has gone wrong inside,

Theses things are never a cheap repair and depending on how expensive will decide whether or not i gets consigned to it's box and put in a cupboard :/

I had that a few years back with a watch I had at the time. It kept stopping and the winder sounded sort of "gritty" when I wound it. It just needed a regular service and all was well.

Only this week I went with my daughter to goldsmiths to buy that very watch for her husband. We managed to get £100 off on a Father's Day voucher. It is a very nice watch.