Antique clock help

whitehackle

I have been given a clock from my grandparents. The clock must be over 100 years old. They where always told that this was an English clock, but the last person to service the clock said that its American. There must be clock experts on here!

Any info that I can get from the picture would be much appreciated

IMG_0002_zpsmtdhvsob.jpg

hello, here is a start JOHN AND EDMUND TAYLOR of Rochdale HEAP BRIDGE MILLS ? also have a place name BURY in LANCS ALSO HAVE A DATE OF 1830s also could be the retailer ? sorry lots of also but it looks a fine clock and well worth restoring

another interesting note, EDMUND TAYLOR went bankrupt in 1866 , ps googles your friend lots of info.

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

thank you. I can not get much info off Google.

I thought the clock is in good condition, oldpigeonpopper how do you mean restore?

thanks

hello, if the clock is working ? and keeping good time, then all good leave as is and enjoy a fine time piece do not polish or clean only dust off, if not working and you want to keep in the family ( :good: ) it can be restored, this would be a complete strip down and clean, replace any componant required, a friend had one like and was £200, after restoration the value doubled, i found quite a lot on google depends on what you asked for, if you would like to send more photos of clock and inside workings and key to my email ? i will do my best to help, just pm me

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

that is very kind offer. I will do that if you pm me you email I will send them across. or shall I just put them on here? the movement isn't very easy to get to but I will try my best. the clock is working. time keeping, it has lost 2/3 minutes in 3 days.

thanks

You can adjust the speed of the pendlum if its loseing time..i got a old clock similar off my grandparents and theres a little nuts as such underneath the pendlum on the shaft that it swings on...only very slight adjustment needed ie 1/4 of a turn...one way or the other will speed it up or slow it down..

that is very kind offer. I will do that if you pm me you email I will send them across. or shall I just put them on here? the movement isn't very easy to get to but I will try my best. the clock is working. time keeping, it has lost 2/3 minutes in 3 days.

thanks

hello, you could put photos on here then i can see and maybe another pw member might have info, i feel sure 2/3 minutes is to much, a minute a week from what i know of other clocks, it may need just a clean with a clock restorer, oh have a look to see if you have one local to you,

hello, you could put photos on here then i can see and maybe another pw member might have info, i feel sure 2/3 minutes is to much, a minute a week from what i know of other clocks, it may need just a clean with a clock restorer, oh have a look to see if you have one local to you,

hello, check out CLOCK REPAIR LTD they have all info on john and edmund taylor of rochdale

I can not see any names where the pendulum is like captainbeaky asked.

I think the face would have to be removed to get a good view of the movement. This could be done by removing 3 slotted screws the the clock face. If i knew that it would answer all the questions then I would do this, but don't want to do it unnecessarily

Thanks

Edited by whitehackle

hello, it looks very clean in the workings and agree with hawke, english movement, now i would suggest you send photos and details to that company clock repair ltd for a few £s you will get all info on maker/ year made/ type of clock/ and if requires any work/ or tell you how to adjust, best wishhes

I am not an expert in antique clocks, but to me the inclusion of a device called a fusee (the catgut or linked chain wound on the snail shaped drum that links to the mainspring barrel) usually means the clock is English. This is provided to ensure constant force to drive the escapement as the spring tension decreases. It is common in better quality English clocks, but not as common in European and American clocks.

On accuracy, the device that 'sets' a clocks accuracy is the pendulum (or balance wheel where a pendulum isn't used). This is a pendulum clock, so considering the pendulum, the swing time depends mainly the centre of gravity. The lower this is (i.e. further from the pivot), the slower the pendulum will beat, so slower the clock will run. One of the main 'changes' in the centre of gravity position is the expansion of the pendulum rod length due to thermal expansion; simply put most clocks run slower as the temperature increases, and faster as it cools.

Clockmakers introduced a number of measures to reduce this, but (except on VERY costly regulator clocks) this remains the biggest variable.

Other important factors are that friction in the clock movement affects the width of the swing of the pendulum - which in turn affects its beat rate slightly. Friction (and other losses) vary with temperature, humidity, barometric pressure - so all will have an effect. A clean freshly oiled clock using dedicated clock oil minimises changes with friction - which tend to get worse as the oil degrades (over a period of years in modern oils) - and dirt build up on teeth and bearing surfaces.

A final thing is that any pendulum clock (and to a lesser extent balance wheel clocks which are not as movement tolerant as watches) need a stable rigid mount (like firmly fixed to a solid wall).

So - what accuracy to expect? This is quite hard to 'set rules, but;

• A good weight driven regulator clock with a 1 metre (i.e. 1 second beating) pendulum with thermal compensation rigidly mounted in a fairly stable temperature should manage a very few seconds a week or better.
  • A reasonable quality 'domestic' pendulum clock should probably manage a minute a week (some do much better) under good conditions, but there may be some temperature based drift between winter and summer, especially if in a room where the temperature moves.
  • Any clock subject to mountings that flex/move, changes in temperature (radiators, direct sun, cold drafts), or that is dirty and struggling to run well - will keep poor time.