thermos flask

ips

Looking for reccomendation of a small unbreakable flask.

I have a large metal one which is brilliant but too big and I have a small metal one which is rubbish and wont keep my bovril hot for even an hour.

Its me birthday soon and I have it on my list but it must be one that is proven to work.

Thanks

Thermos Thermocafe - 500ml. OK they are stainless but they are excellent. Used several over the years, everywhere from the Artic to after stalking. The only reason they get binned is when they're too ding'ed to work properly.

Sounds ideal, so keep me bovril hot for 4 hrs ish you reckon?

Edit

Recent amazon reviews are poor, wonder if the product has changed recently as in different manufacturing ???

The thermo cafe 500's keep stuff hot enough to be pleasant for about 10 hrs provided you prime them with boiling water first. Provided you don't fill above the base of the neck they don't leak either unlike ones with complicated press-type pouring spouts.

In the winter I'll take two to say Catton Rifle sports - a 3hr drive for me each way. I drink one on the way and whilst there, the other for my journey back. What is left is still hot when I get home. Not bad for around £11 a pop.

I also used to take the 500ml ones up into the artic circle in winter. Stuffed in two layers of sock they still did the business in -25 or more and are a perfect fit in a rucsac. Not too big, not too small for a decent drink through the day.

As for Amazon reviews..hmmm....hope they've not changed them. My current ones (x3) are 2-3 years old now. Looking at the reviews just now the two 1 star reviews sound like manufacturing defects. You DO have to prime them to get the best out of them (and chuck the now cooler priming hot water before putting your drink in).

Edited by LeadWasp

I Bought myself a 1ltr Stanley flask for Christmas (its the only way I can guarantee that I have a present that I like!) 2 years ago cracking piece of kit, keeps drinks warm for hours.

Cheers

Aled

Edited by Aled

Make sure to heat the flask with boiling water before filling with your choice. Keeps hot for many hours.

For a small amount I use a bodum coffee press mug in stainless takes hours before I can drink it as it's too hot. Comes with a standard lid too.

Edited by figgy

you might want to drop another hint - at university we used to go away a lot (on a shoe-string budget) hill walking etc. and my then gf bought me a really large thermos......not very exciting you might think..... until I opened it and aha!....it was full of chocolates!!!